Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cheshire_Cat's Range Diary

Cheshire_Cat

My SIRT arrived the other day and I have been having a lot of fun with it. The weighted magazines also fit into regular Glock pistols. If the slide is racked it won't lock back with the weighted magazine in it, which is good for dry firing the pistol with a realistic weight and balance. I'm not sure how much i'll be able to shoot for awhile. Being in my 20's + Grad school = not a lot of money, but I will definitely be dry firing a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot yesterday, practiced a course of fire I have to qualify on in a couple weeks. My score on the practice qualification was a lot higher than what I scored on the actual last time, so it should be interesting to see what my score is on the actual qualification in a couple weeks.

Things I learned from the range:

-I need to focus more on a strong support hand grip, or at least tweak things, because currently my left hand inches forward on follow up shots, making me have a progressively worse grip.

-Dry fire practice with the SIRT and gun have improved my accuracy, no doubt due to better trigger control.

The main thing holding me back right now is finances.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

• 2 weeks later...

Had range today and shot pretty well. We practiced shooting from a seated position and under/around a simulated vehicle. I am currently reading through Mike Seeklander's Competition Training Handgun Program book. My plan is to read it again after I finish my MBA program and then start it up.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

I am currently reading (for the second time) Surgical Speed Shooting: How To Achieve High-Speed Marksmanship In A Gunfight by Andy Stanford. I recommend it for both practical shooting and self defense. It goes over the isosceles vs. weaver stance in depth.

Practiced with SIRT and duty gear tonight. I need to purchase another weighted magazine. From ten yards away with a full IPSC target:

25 draws

25 reloads

I let the shot break after each draw, or did multiple "shots". My goal is to keep my focus on the front sight, and not look at the target for hits. If I do this correctly it appears that my shot hits to the left of my target, because my dominant eye is seeing the front sight, while my non dominant eye sees the laser hit the target.

Changed the extended magazine catch on my SIRT to a regular magazine catch. The extended magazine catch digs into my support hand palm, which is annoying. In addition, I do not want to become dependent on the extended magazine catch.

Replaced the trigger spring on my Glock.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

Productive range session today with Red5_Standing_By. I spotted for him while he practiced calling the shots. We then did a little contest strong hand only at the 25 yard line. My distance shooting slow/medium pace has greatly improved, but I still need to work on not anticipating the shot when I speed up.

I also figured out something with respect to the front sight. I have a tendency to cover the spot I want to hit on the target with the entire front sight, as opposed to letting the top of the front sight "cut through" the middle of where I want to hit. Close range this difference is negligible, but out at 25 yards this makes a big difference, as my shots end up being high.

• 2 weeks later...

15-20 minutes dry fire with Glock 19. I practiced a lot of magazine changes, transitioning between weighted magazines and magazines with dummy rounds in them. That way I could practice my magazine changes with magazines of different weight and length. Throwing in some different variables to hone in my reloading skills. If everything goes right, I should be shooting my first USPSA match in March.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I shot my first USPSA match today. It was very fun and I learned a lot. I have to get another mag pouch and 2 more magazines. I only showed up with 3 magazines and had to borrow another 2. I ended up shooting limited ten. I was not aware of the ten round magazine rule limit for production. I am still a bit confused on it. I actually did better than I expected as far as the shooting was concerned. I took it slow and made my shots count, or tried to make them count lol. It was a great learning experience and I look forward to my next match.

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot my .22LR conversion kit yet, but I plan to try it out next week.

Edited by Cheshire_Cat

I had my first experience with reloading today. It was on a single stage Lee press and it took quite a while to load the 100 rounds, but I was more interested in learning the process than spitting out quick reloads. The press and equipment was not mine, but I would like to purchase a press and equipment in the future. I am curious as to how the reloads will shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I shot a couple hundred rounds of .22LR out of my conversion kit. I think I only had one jam, so that is good. I practiced shooting on the move, and keeping my eyes open, which is much easier while shooting .22LR. I also practiced shooting a 3 inch by 3 inch steel target from about 15 yards. My accuracy is improving.

I have much to improve on in practical shooting, but at least I am a grandmaster when it comes to typing lol! At www.typeracer.com my WPM rank is 98.5%. I currently have 838 races completed with an average WPM of 91.5. If you enjoy typing tests the website is addicting.

Shot qualifications today for work. For the OR qual I got 247/250. WA I got 394/420. I think my previous best on OR was about 235/250, so the USPSA practice and matches are definitely improving my shooting ability. I had a malfunction at the 25 yard line because my mag wasn't seated all the way. Lesson learned. Other than that, we practiced getting out of a vehicle and using the vehicle as cover while engaging targets. Then moving from the vehicle cover to a barricade and engaging other threats. All in all it was a lot of fun. I am lucky in that most security companies don't offer the training that my company does.

Dry fired my SIRT on the "Dot Torture" drill at about 5 yards. I aim to increase the distance to ten yards, in addition to decreasing my time. I would also like to shoot this drill on my .22 conversion kit. The drill totals 50 rounds, so that is a lot of ammo for one drill, but I'll eventually shoot it with my G19 to see where I am really at.

Today I helped put on a intro to shooting event for a youth group. I shot an AR-15 and shotgun. It has been years since I've shot a shotgun, and it was my first time shooting an AR. Wish I made more money! I had a lot of fun and everyone had a good time. I hit a jar of water from about 40 yards with my G19, which I think is the farthest target I've hit so far with it, so that was good to see.

Shot a couple hundred rounds today. Practiced a lot of el prezidente's drills. My average was around 14 seconds or so with good hits. There is a lot of room for improvement. I need to get a shot timer, as we were just using a smart phone stop watch. I also need to get a video camera. I am excited for the match next week.

• 1 month later...

My fourth USPSA match was today, but I won't be classified until the next match, as the first match I was in Limited 10 division.I hadn't shot since last match, and it showed today, but I did find out some things I need to work on. I have a bad habit of slowly letting out the trigger reset, and then once it gets to the pressure wall I quickly press and jerk the trigger. What I need to do is let the trigger reset in recoil, and then do a slower trigger press. I'll be working on that in practice. Judging from my classifier scores I may be in class D or C Production.

On another note, I finally graduated, so I will have much more time to devote to shooting!

Edited by Cheshire_Cat