Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 slide-to-frame fit

justaute

All,

I have a 2-week new CZ 75 that has -- to me -- a pretty loose slide-to-frame fit, which causes the gun to rattle considerably when gently shaken. Based on my research thus far, this loose fit should not have any meaningful effect on the gun's accuracy. Nonetheless, as a result of my personality (ok anal-retentiveness), I really would like to remove as much of the rattle as possible. The rattle does not need to disappear completely, but just enough so minimize it.

So, the question is... will there be any adverse effect on the gun if I have a local gunsmith tighten the slide-to-frame fit? My understanding is that to tighten the fit, a vise is used to simply "squeeze" the frame. However, that means the internal rail-tracks on the CZ will take on an "angular" profile and no longer be "perfectly" parallel. Is this an issue or can the gunsmith do it without giving the gun an angular profile?

Any education or input is welcomed. Thanks.

Ken

Edited by justaute

Since you asked for advise, shoot the gun, don't shake it. Let the accuracy and reliability make the choice, not the noises.

There is more to properly tightening a frame than just squeezing it in a vise.

+1..shoot groups and see where you are.

squeezing you will take the chance of splitting your frame rail ..and that will toast your frame.

if you are insistent on tightening it all up..weld up your frame rails and recut to fit your slide.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Years ago ( mid 90s ) my gunsmith did that to tighten my slide to frame at lockup

you can see one of the set screws at the front of the dustcover and the relief groove in the slide. one on each side of the frame.

Clark used to do similar on guns too.

KimballP9-1.jpg

Reality check, We are talking about a $400 gun here. If it is loose, get a new one and check the fit before you buy it then just take your old one and sell it. I just checked the wife's 75 I bought at a gun show new, its got 5K rounds down the tube and the slide fit is as tight as any custom gun, barrel lockup is tight. The first thing to check for accuracy is the barrel bushing fit, in this case the slide, a little loose there and its all over the place. Chances are you can trade up for less than $200.

And her 75 Compact carry gun, good and tight, my 75 Custom Shodow is the looses one of the bunch and it shoots a 1" group at 25 yards, it doesn't rattle.