Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Whats the best flashlight setup?

So I signed up for some of the big matches this year. Thinking ahead it seems like I may need a flashlight(s) at some point. What are the best flashlights and flashlight setups (rails etc) for 3gun?

P.S. I've heard that head mounted lights are not always allowed. True?

• 7 months later...

Most of the time if a light is needed they are provided on the stage.

If they are provided, is there an advantage for having my own...like mounting it on my gun. Is that allowed?

If you do mount it to your gun, good luck holstering your pistol for a transition.

The obvious answer if get a surefire, but if you are running a bit of a tighter budget (like myself), Home Depot has a Rayovac LED flashlight for about 20 bucks that throws enough light (I had to chase some kids through a corn field with it) and its durable - made of metal and has rubber ends that protect the guts of the light. But if you do have the cash, go big.

If you mount a light on your rifle, you will probably end up banging it up real bad. Dump barrels, barracades, etc can be real hard on junk that you hang out there on your handguard. Also if you use a tape switch, be sure nothing in your safe leans against your rifle. Your batteries will be dead, when you are in the middle of no where and actually need the light. And what ever it was that was leaning against your rifle is now melted or fried. Same goes for putting it in a case for transport. If you are riding down the road and smell plastic melting, it's probably the inside of your rifle case!! :blink:

The vast majority of the time any stage requiring a light will have the light provided by the stage sponsor and the provided light will be required to be used by the shooter. In this way the sponsor gets to showcase the intended product rather than you utilizing your own light.

The match I just attended I didn't find out I needed a light until I got there and no lights were provided someone was nice enough to lend me one. Prior to the match I had never shot using a light before it probably wasn't the best time to practice and learn.

The match I just attended I didn't find out I needed a light until I got there and no lights were provided someone was nice enough to lend me one. Prior to the match I had never shot using a light before it probably wasn't the best time to practice and learn.

I have shot in a few night matches where both rifle and pistol were used, and having it weapon mounted was an obvious advantage. I found that a relatively inexpensive light like the Streamlight TLR-1 clamped onto a small rail section at 10 o'clock on the rifle forend was the best. I operate the light with my support hand thumb. This allows me to add it only when I need to. The rocker-type switch on the end allows you to turn it on and not have to worry about applying pressure to a tape switch. You can also put the light on your handgun too if it has a rail and your holster will accomodate it. I usually go with a handheld light when using the handgun as I don't like pulling apart my working gear to just to use the holster.

You can also go a little cheaper by putting a Streamlight PolyTac light in a 1 inch weaver ring and put that on a piece of rail. That whole combo will run you less than 50 dollars and it even has a momentary / click-on tailcap so you can hit it and run.

Hope this helps.

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

For a pistol match with Iron sights a head mounted light will get you in the game, however any kind of optic and you are toast with that light. I got a 160 lumen 1" light from Cheaper Than Dirt, with mounts works like a champ on my AR out to 50 yards, Unfortuantely the match that said longest shot 35 yards, well first stage had Steel targets at 80 yards, hard to see.

For hand guns a mounted light presents a second problem, the holster.

I've seen lights duct taped to rifles at a night match.

Pros of dedicated weapon lights........ Tough, dependable and always were u need it.

Cons......... weight and cost.

A proper light will survive the dump barrels and getting knocked around. I'm not a fan of exposed wire switches, even a little bit of exposed wire. Murphy is alive and well and the Sumbitch follows me around.

That all being said, if it is just for matches, check ahead. They will probably be there like other have said.

I vote surefire.

:cheers:

I am not commenting on various match rules, but as far as holster options go there are lots of them out there for mounted pistol lights and more are coming out every day. I am not a fan of the TLR streamlights for serious matters. They are not water proof......not even close.

Edited by whistlepig