Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No Longer Locked Into Big Electric to Run My ProChrono

Hi. Anyone who uses a Pro Chrono needs a battery box. I spent all winter waiting for the one indoor lane that had an outlit. Tiring quickly of the game without end I built a box that can supply about 5 hrs of run time , can be recharged without opening the box and it all fits in a small padded lunch box. More important I LOVE IT!!! Suggestions are welcome, even anatomically impossible suggestions.

PS Did I mention I LOVE IT!!

Thank you Flexmoney for your help in posting the pictures. :cheers:

post-22108-069600000 1299815340_thumb.jp

post-22108-091178300 1299815349_thumb.jp

post-22108-032790500 1299815372_thumb.jp

post-22108-040943900 1299815382_thumb.jp

Edited by Youngeyes

Very kool ! I like that you can recharge it. I'm getting ready to build a 6V supply for mine so that I can use the IR feature here in the desert. Now that I see your's, I may have to rethink the direction I was going.

You need:

2 12 volt Pb acid batteries. I used BPI.2 12 TI B&B batteries. Only about 2inches long.

7x5 project box from Radio Shack.

M size male and female D/C connectors.

2 12V 750MA Pb acid chargers.

Velcro tape

Heat shrink wire sheaths.

1 on/off switch.

The whole wire set-up, to run from the batteries to the lighting, you get by cutting the A/C set that comes with with the ProChrono light kit. You attach connectors to go back to wall power if you want. Plug into battery pack or plug back to A/C.

The batteries are connected in series with the jumper wire run to the on/off switch. You need to disconnect as you must charge the batteries separately. The M connector on the box is the main connected to the + from one battery and the - from the other. The other 2 M female connectors on the box are ports to charge. These are wired to each battery separately.

I'll try to post a picture of the inside to show the wiring.

The batteries have 1.2 amp hr. The lighting pulls 200 mA. You should get 6 hrs if you run non-stop and run the power down. It is advised to only draw 80% before charging.

PS. the batteries are held in the box with the velcro for easy removal. All connections to the batteries should be push on types.

NOTE. All typos and stupid errors are all mine. I'm Youngeyes and I approve this message. :lol:

Get a 12 volt jumper battery that has outlet. Get a cigarrete lighter 12v-12o power inverter. plug it all together and it should work

Probably, but that's going from DC to AC back to DC again - not very efficient.

those things are led so i don't think they draw too much power. got to think about portability also. PITA to drag around 2 12olt car bats like they show in the instructions.

found my inverter and set it up to see if it would really work. Did this in my garage that has flourescent lights. would not read by just the flourescents. plugged in the led kit and shot a few round through it with my air rifle it worked like a charm.

chrono_001.jpg

chrono_002.jpg

PITA to drag around 2 12olt car bats like they show in the instructions.

Not car batteries, they look like they are rechargeable lead acid batteries like you might find in a small UPS unit.

But, I like the idea of using something rechargeable and already built to put out 12v like the car starter. Makes me wonder if the DC output could be moderated to go directly to the lights. Have to look at the brick that comes with it and see what the output is.

Here's the inside look. I fused it with a 1 amp fast fuse in case of surge. Prochrono needs 24 volts to light up. Tried 12 but the lights won't come on. The red light must be on to show operation. The IR lights can be seen with a cell phone camera. Not sure why. The camera must be picking up more wavelength than the human eye can see. My way of being sure of proper operation. Box weighs about 3 lbs.

post-22108-087372500 1300129422_thumb.jp