Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So...why not Mobil 1?

bisonresq

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic oil. I am told that it was formulate for air-cooled engines which have similar properties as a handgun or rifle. I've been using it on all my handguns as well as the BCG on my AR for almost 2 years and it has been fantastic.

On a related note, I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease on the hinge pins of my SxS and O/U shotguns. I've had several friends shoot high volume doves in South America and the Mobil 1 is the ONLY stuff that didn't cook off under the heat of a days shooting.

1839542_3101324_trimmed.jpg

I read previously in this thread about mixing ATF fluid with Mobil 1. What is the purpose of the the ATF? Is it certain properties that it posseses?

I recently expirimented with Mobli one and some hyrualic oil that I had for my mountain bike chain...WOW I was amazed how smooth the shifting was! I will have to run it some more to make sure that it does not gum up or collect too much crud.

I my try it this weekend for my handguns.

I read previously in this thread about mixing ATF fluid with Mobil 1. What is the purpose of the the ATF? Is it certain properties that it posseses?

I recently expirimented with Mobli one and some hyrualic oil that I had for my mountain bike chain...WOW I was amazed how smooth the shifting was! I will have to run it some more to make sure that it does not gum up or collect too much crud.

ATF = Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. ATF fluid helps lubricate any possible interaction you may have with said agency. :roflol: I'll probably get audited again now.

Seriously, ATF has a very desireable additive package that includes: Gasket conditioners, detergents, anti-corrosion compounds, dispersants, anti-wear additives, low temp flow enhancers, high temp thickeners, and surfactants. It is basically a cocktail of a lot of things we want. One "popular" brand of gun oil tests out as ATF on the gas chromatagraph.

I spent 3 years working in an oil analysis lab and played with all kinds of oils, lubes etc. Full access to a GC and an ICAP was pretty insightful.

Edited by MarkCO

ATF = Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms. ATF fluid helps lubricate any possible interaction you may have with said agency. :roflol: I'll probably get audited again now.

Seriously, ATF has a very desireable additive package that includes: Gasket conditioners, detergents, anti-corrosion compounds, dispersants, anti-wear additives, low temp flow enhancers, high temp thickeners, and surfactants. It is basically a cocktail of a lot of things we want. One "popular" brand of gun oil tests out as ATF on the gas chromatagraph.

I spent 3 years working in an oil analysis lab and played with all kinds of oils, lubes etc. Full access to a GC and an ICAP was pretty insightful.

Sounds interesting. Hydraulic oil may have similar characteristics to ATF? I want to keep expierimenting on both my guns and bikes. I have about 2-1/2 gallons of hydrualic oil left I would rather make good use of it instead of taking to be disposed of. As with gun lubes I find that the price of a tiny bottle chain lube rediculous. As a member of "team cheap" I have enough lube to last for years!

Is anyone familiar with ELM lubricants? Soy based "green" lubes? We use several of their products in the shop I work in.

http://www.elmusa.com/

What is the recommended ratio of (synthetic?) ATF to Mobil 1 and will they stay mixed in a bottle or do the separate?

Sounds interesting. Hydraulic oil may have similar characteristics to ATF? I want to keep expierimenting on both my guns and bikes. I have about 2-1/2 gallons of hydrualic oil left I would rather make good use of it instead of taking to be disposed of. As with gun lubes I find that the price of a tiny bottle chain lube rediculous. As a member of "team cheap" I have enough lube to last for years!

Is anyone familiar with ELM lubricants? Soy based "green" lubes? We use several of their products in the shop I work in.

http://www.elmusa.com/

Yes, quality hydraulic oil is similar to ATF, but less detergent and less surfactants. The bean and vegetable oils would not be a good idea on firearms. They attract and hold moisture and burn off leaving more carbon that you want.

What is the recommended ratio of (synthetic?) ATF to Mobil 1 and will they stay mixed in a bottle or do the separate?

I typically add a few ounces to a half quart, more than that and it gets too thin for me. For things like AR bolts, I soak in equal parts ATF, Mobil 1 and Zmax. Stays mixed. When I need grease, I use slide glide.