Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So...why not Mobil 1?

bisonresq

How about pure ATF? Does anybody use that or do you really have to mix it with motor oil? Have liters of this stuff and would hate to see it go to waste.

see post #51. someone seems to think it works by itself. I still have RemOil and Xtreme Lube from some prize table but will eventually give motor oil a try once I run out.

I have done the highly scientific fingertips-rub and slide-rack-back-and-forth tests on Mobil and Slick50 and it feels great. Very smooth and slick, kinda creamy.

Edited by Team Amish 1

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about pure ATF? Does anybody use that or do you really have to mix it with motor oil? Have liters of this stuff and would hate to see it go to waste.

see post #51. someone seems to think it works by itself.

That is not what post #51 says at all. That is about ATF or Tufoil as an ADDITIVE to Mobil 1.

The very popular Kellube is Klotz synthetic motor oil. I'm guessing 20W-50, don't know if they add anything to it.

I've been using syn. motor oil mixed with Lucus Synthetic oil additive, very tacky and stays put. Play with ratios or oil weights depending on season/weather.

Amsoil is the closest thing to a true synthetic motor oil out there, good stuff.

Mobil 1, 5W30 works great! Been using it for years and I'm on my second quart. Never had any type of lubrication problem. Any of the synthetic oils would work, petroleum based oils tend to gum up in a pistol.

I use a parts washer with kerosene to clean pistols and lube with a little needle oiler from Brownells, #084-038-203AB.

I use Amsoil 10w40 4 stroke marine.

I'm an Amsoil dealer, and i use that oil for my jet skis. i just bought a small squeeze bottle from mcmaster and let a few empty quart bottles drip into it overnight. have pretty much a lifetime supply. i played with other oils in the past and it seems that the thicker oils work better on my guns.

best thing about using Mobil One is that after I change my oil in the car, I just cap the bottles and turn them upside down. Then later in the day I open them (upside down) and the cap is full. I use a small oiler to suck the oil up. So it's basically free.

I thought about the mobile 1 thing very extensively. Did some reading. Motor oil is a known carcinogen, ie causes cancer. I work in medicine/healthcare and the reading is pretty convincing. Motor oil is not designed to rest/ride/absorb into the human body. Synthetic motor oil can be particularly harmful. For a comp only gun, if you could keep it off of your skin, you may be okay. I personally wouldn't consider it any more.

I have been using FP-10 and it is really great stuff. So far I am very impressed. Strangley enough it has a cinamon smell to it.

Really the matter is just going to come down to what you feel comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable, for how much I handle my gun, using an oil that could potentially harm me, but that's just me.

My resources say that used motor oil is a carcinogen. I haven't seen any information that new motor oil is any more hazardous than any other type of oil. If you have specific information, by all means please share it with us.

What I like about the synthetic Mobil-1 as compared to some other oils or ATF combinations, it that it doesn't smell as much like an engine.

Of course you guys are really limiting yourself with that stuff.

If you wanted to shoot really fast....

jet.jpg

What I like about the synthetic Mobil-1 as compared to some other oils or ATF combinations, it that it doesn't smell as much like an engine.

jet.jpg

I like that, but where i shop they really dont cater to people with jets. :surprise:

How much do you guys spend on oil every year that you would rather not use gun oils already prepackaged in handy dispensers. Does mobile 1 actually work better than the leading gun lubes or is it all about saving a couple bucks?

I have unused bottles of Gun Lubricant above the bench and go with Mobil 1, gave away a bottle of Brake Free the other day. Never had a lubrication problem with Mobil 1, there's as much oil on the gun when it needs cleaning as I put on it when I cleaned it, plus it cleans up easier, it's all positive.

Lubrication is the cheapest expense in the game, Mobil 1 is just a product that works.

jet.jpg

Avoid plastic...So that means you can't use this with Glocks?

something that has yet to be mentioned is 2-cycle oil that gets mixed in gasoline for products such as outboard motors, chainsaws, old LawnBoy lawnmower engines....etc, as long as it meets the spec of TC-W2 and TC-W3. 2-Cycle oil is designed to stay put/not burn off within a high temperature combustion process. It stays where applicated and when it comes time to clean it's a simple wipe off of the carbon buildup, or anything else, and lube up again.

jet.jpg

Avoid plastic...So that means you can't use this with Glocks?

Turbine oil is not anywhere near the same thing as motor oil.

It will melt many plastics, super thin, nasty, stinks, does not have the detergents or additive packages as galling and friction is not the problem, heat is. You don't change turbine oil, you just add extra as its deposited around the country.

I like Brownells gun oils mixed with slide glide. But Mobil 1 works in a pinch.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one uses Nafta to clean the gun? It dissolves carbon very easily, evaporates and the residues can be brushed off. Can be bought at ACE.

If you mean 'naptha' it's a good solvent, but highly flammable. Be careful with that stuff! :surprise:

Does any one uses Nafta to clean the gun? It dissolves carbon very easily, evaporates and the residues can be brushed off. Can be bought at ACE.

If you mean 'naptha' it's a good solvent, but highly flammable. Be careful with that stuff! :surprise:

Yes, "Naphta", it is nasty :surprise: but nothing beats it for cleaning... :devil: My gunsmith uses it.

Edited by dvc4you

Number of years ago, I freezer tested some FP10, slide-glide and 7808 turbine engine oil and found the 7808 to be hands-down the best of the bunch. Slide-glide basically froze, FP10 did well but the 7808 didn't loose anything. All 3 are fine lubes for what we use them for, but if you shoot in an area that has extreme low/high temps it's advantageous to find something that will work year round. 7808 does that for me.

I thought about the mobile 1 thing very extensively. Did some reading. Motor oil is a known carcinogen, ie causes cancer.

I thought that was only in California? Doesn't it say something like "this product is known to cause cancer in the state of California", or something like that? Thank God I don't like in California!

WG

I think we are all relieved you dont live here :)