Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So...why not Mobil 1?

bisonresq

I think there's a substantial amount of evidence that Mobil 1 is made from conventional, not man-made base stock anyway. What is "synthetic" is far from well defined.

Actually that is incorrect. There are specific standards for what can and can not be called synthetic, and there is a very defined definition. Of course the raw materials are not "man-made", as there is NO such thing. The synthetic oils are polyolefin based, NOT tar or parafin based, and that makes a huge difference.

I believe if you read further, "used motor oil" is a know carcinogen. Look at the Mobile 1 MSDS, not a carcinogen, just like FP-10. I believe gasoline is a carcinogen and it’s the contamination of the oil by gas that makes it a carcinogen.

Beat me to it, that is mostly accurate. The combustion by-products in the used oil are a pretty significant contributor to the carcinogen listing. A little common sense goes a long way when looking at the data. Carnberries are a "known" carcinogen too, if you eat like 3 boxcars full. :surprise:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now I know. Is there a cheap degreaser I'm missing the boat on as well??

Non-Chlorinated brake parts cleaner. Basically the same as Gun Scrubber. $2 a can at Wal-Mart. :cheers:

I like WD-40 as a cheap spray cleaner. Hose things down, scrub with old tooth brush, hose it down again, and wipe it all off. I think it's safer on most materials (plastics etc) than brake cleaner. Brake cleaner removes every bit of oil from your gun and anywhere you miss putting more oil on is unprotected. If you miss oiling a spot cleaned with WD-40 you're still safe.

The downside to WD-40 is that if used and not wiped off eventually will leave a build up of some kind, but it is easily removed too.

Non-Chlorinated brake parts cleaner. Basically the same as Gun Scrubber. $2 a can at Wal-Mart. :cheers:

+1 great stuff, but wear some Nitrile rubber gloves when you use it. mellow.gif You don't want your skin absorbing it.

I've really taken to wearing these gloves for gun cleaning, reloading and working on the truck. I am a sloppy pig

and they help a lot with clean up.

Jim

Best to keep it away from plastics (fiber optics) and paint. Apply oil to anything that might rust after using brake cleaner. I can get all the brake cleaner I want but I've switched to simple green as a safer alternative.

Mobil 1 is an ester based polymer. Markco is right, some of the high heat resistant packaged oils are a combination of Mobil 1 and synthetic ATF. Works great in high heat. Think full auto rock n Roll heat. Don't forget about polar lubricants like Breakfree or TriFlow. These have a synthetic component, in addition to petroleum and Teflon, that has a molecular charge that makes it stick like crazy to metal. To remove a polar lubricant you have to use solvents, you can't wipe it off. These oils have VERY high film strength in VERY thin layers. They are also extremely heat resistant. Micro milled Teflon will burnish into the pore structure of any metal, thus smoothing the surface, reducing friction and making the surface easier to clean.

I tend to use whatever I got in the grab bag at the last match, I honestly cant remember buying any lubricant in a long long time, I think I have a room full of little red brownell's bottles, breakfree samples, tetra something or other, yadda yadda, I clean with simple green or purple power.

Edited by Joe4d

Best to keep it away from plastics (fiber optics) and paint. Apply oil to anything that might rust after using brake cleaner. I can get all the brake cleaner I want but I've switched to simple green as a safer alternative.

Yes, thanks for adding that! Grip panels, skateboard tape, wood, varnishes, etc. as well.

Anyone using motor oil mixed with slick50? I heard of people using that with good success and would like to try it. If so, what weight oil and what ratio mix are you using? Thanks.

Synthetic ATF is better.

Anyone using motor oil mixed with slick50? I heard of people using that with good success and would like to try it. If so, what weight oil and what ratio mix are you using? Thanks.

Synthetic ATF is better.

Cool, thanks. I'll give it a shot.

I thought about the mobile 1 thing very extensively. Did some reading. Motor oil is a known carcinogen, ie causes cancer. I work in medicine/healthcare and the reading is pretty convincing. Motor oil is not designed to rest/ride/absorb into the human body. Synthetic motor oil can be particularly harmful. For a comp only gun, if you could keep it off of your skin, you may be okay. I personally wouldn't consider it any more.

I have been using FP-10 and it is really great stuff. So far I am very impressed. Strangley enough it has a cinamon smell to it.

Really the matter is just going to come down to what you feel comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable, for how much I handle my gun, using an oil that could potentially harm me, but that's just me.

Here is the MSDS for Mobil 1.

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/AlternateFormat.aspx?Brand=XOM&DocumentID=566335&DocumentFormat=RTF

The way I read it, the oil, as produced, is not a carcinogen. When it is used in a gasoline engine, it becomes a carcinogen, but putting it on a gun shouldn't have any ill effects.

Odorless mineral spirits clean my guns when I want them REALLY clean.

Brad

+1 I use oderless mineral spirits on all my guns when i need them totally cleaned ready for reoiling.

also one big plus is fill a jug to dip your parts in and it will last you a long time, it doesnt take alot of time,effort or materials.

Edited by calvary45

also simple green works well as a degreaser/general cleaner

Brake cleaner, as others have said, is great for getting the old oil off. Brake cleaner won't take off the built up powder residue very well so if you're detail clenaing your guns and want virtually everthing off of the frame and slide use Oil Eater from Costco or the Purple cleaner at the car parts store. That stuff, a toothbrush and hot water and everthing is spotless.

I need to shoot more a can of rem oil lasts like 2 years for me

now that you say that i just realized the same thing, although now all i use is FP-10. saving the rem oil for squeacky door hinges or something.

I have found in SoCal a secret new product . . .just apply once and your done for the life of the gun

"Tigers Blood with a Warlock DNA anti galling additive"

guaranteed to win!!! Charlie Said so

Sorry

. . . the big screen in the range lobby has been on the trashy CNN news show all friggen day. . .and I'm just over it all!!!

But seriously

for oil: what I get free in the shooters bag or off the prize table

for greese I use Gun Butter

when times were bad I used to use Moble 1 synthetic oil and Mobile 1 CV greese cut with a little synthetic ATF, packed it to a few Brownells syringes and off to the range i went.

another old trick is to befriend your local indoor range manager and ask for a bottle of gun oil as you forgot yours(and you did not wish to bring you gun off the line and scare the civilians . . . go out to the line and fill your empty bottle. . . . . Sweep up brass for a week or two and they might even order your favorite brand of lube. . . . . worked for me for years. . . . .