Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

So...why not Mobil 1?

bisonresq

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought about the mobile 1 thing very extensively. Did some reading. Motor oil is a known carcinogen, ie causes cancer. I work in medicine/healthcare and the reading is pretty convincing. Motor oil is not designed to rest/ride/absorb into the human body. Synthetic motor oil can be particularly harmful. For a comp only gun, if you could keep it off of your skin, you may be okay. I personally wouldn't consider it any more.

I have been using FP-10 and it is really great stuff. So far I am very impressed. Strangley enough it has a cinamon smell to it.

Really the matter is just going to come down to what you feel comfortable with. I wasn't comfortable, for how much I handle my gun, using an oil that could potentially harm me, but that's just me.

Mr Benny Hill says thats the ....One

I use Royal Purple just to be contrary

When I treat my truck to an Oil change I drip the 1 gallon containers and come up with a nice bottle size amount.

You being Contrary? :unsure: SHOCK!:goof:

I too use Mobil one,,,

If you want to get real fancy, use your favorite brand of 30W synthetic motor oil, add 2 ounces of synthetic ATF.

On my ARs, I have gone to 1/3 ATF, 1/3 30W synthetic oil, 1/3 ZMax on the bolt. I have a little tub that I soak the firing pin, cam pin and bolt in before assembly. Bolt cleans up SO much easier. Slide glide on the slide and bolt rails on all guns.

Hello: Castrol make some great products as well. I also use Red Line grease and oils also. ATF works great since it repels water and makes a good rust remover. Pick the correct weight for weather conditions just like for your car :cheers: Thanks, Eric

If I was going to use motor oil, I'd just use conventional motor oil.

Which are "tar" or "parafin" based and will ADD to the carbon deposits. Same thing with grease that is "conventional"...no thanks.

Which are "tar" or "parafin" based and will ADD to the carbon deposits. Same thing with grease that is "conventional"...no thanks.

I think there's a substantial amount of evidence that Mobil 1 is made from conventional, not man-made base stock anyway. What is "synthetic" is far from well defined.

To answer the title: because I use grease.

You must not shoot in the wintertime, bro.

I've tried lots of stuff over the years, and have found that in truly cold temps, synthetic motor oil is about the only lube that will keep things running. It also holds up well and stays put when the temps get hot in the summertime. Here in Iowa, we experience both extremes.

I must have missed the bus on this one but when did motor oil(mobil 1, etc) replace gun oil (hoppe's etc) as a lubricant?

When a bunch of us discovered it works better, and is far less expensive. :)

I must have missed the bus on this one but when did motor oil(mobil 1, etc) replace gun oil (hoppe's etc) as a lubricant?

A bunch of us cheap buggers figured out that a quart of Mobil 1 is the same price or cheaper than a 2oz tube of "super gun lube".

I thought about the mobile 1 thing very extensively. Did some reading. Motor oil is a known carcinogen, ie causes cancer.

I thought that was only in California? Doesn't it say something like "this product is known to cause cancer in the state of California", or something like that? Thank God I don't like in California!

WG

When a bunch of us discovered it works better, and is far less expensive. :)

A bunch of us cheap buggers figured out that a quart of Mobil 1 is the same price or cheaper than a 2oz tube of "super gun lube".

Got it. Information assimilated.

Thanks!

Whatsupglock,

I believe if you read further, "used motor oil" is a know carcinogen. Look at the Mobile 1 MSDS, not a carcinogen, just like FP-10. I believe gasoline is a carcinogen and it’s the contamination of the oil by gas that makes it a carcinogen.

David E.

To answer the title: because I use grease.

You must not shoot in the wintertime, bro.

I've tried lots of stuff over the years, and have found that in truly cold temps, synthetic motor oil is about the only lube that will keep things running. It also holds up well and stays put when the temps get hot in the summertime. Here in Iowa, we experience both extremes.

I live in Iowa, too, Mr. Carmoney!

I've been using a reeeeeeally light grease this winter with much success.

Oil just runs off. Grease stays where you put it.