Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Damaging Sear

So I am in a gun shop looking at a 1911. The clerk checks the chamber first, then hands me the gun with the hammer back. I double check the chamber and then lower the hammer. I lower the hammer by holding the hammer back with my thumb, pull the trigger rearward & then lower the hammer. After doing so, the clerk tells me, that by lowering the hammer the way that I did, causes damage to the sear.

I know I should have probably just dry fired it but I have an aversion to dry firing someone else gun in a public place. Any way has anyone else ever heard of this? This was a first for me. I don't see how it could do any damage but then I am not a gunsmith.

I have heard here and there that you should continue to hold the trigger back while you lower the hammer.

I have never really understood the difference between actual shooting and pulling the trigger while holding the hammer and lowering it, but maybe I'm just simpleminded.

Then you go to another shop and hust pull the trigger normaly and that clerk gives you the same line.

For serious if you let the hammer off the hooks, let go the trigger and lower the hammer at least you will know if the half cock works.

no harm to do what you did.