Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC rules

Page 34 is where the picture is, with caption, and the write up is on 36.

But it is IPSC rules, not USPSA, the match was in Europe.

Don't no why, but it said "illegally holding a towel"

Edited by sfinney

That would be a ISPC rules, they have this silly little rule saying you can't use "sighting aids" during a walk through. This apparently includes water bottles, towels, and maybe cigars in your hands when you point at a target. The match in question was an European match under IPSC rules.

From the IPSC rulebook:

8.7.4. Competitors are prohibited from using any sighting aid (e.g. the whole or part of an imitation or replica firearm, any part of a real firearm including any accessories thereof etc.), except for their own hands, while conducting their inspection ("walkthrough") of a course of fire. Violations will incur one procedural penalty per occurrence (also see Rule 10.5.1).

On page 36 of the March issue. I was shooting in the same squad with Blake. Long story short. Long field course with a loaded gun on table start and all magazines on table. Start position was seated facing uprange. Blake was given the make ready command. After making ready, he returned to the start position where he had left a white hand towel. He picked the white towel up and sat down and wiped his face and hands off. The RO on the right side of the stage yelled "That is a procedural." After completing the stage, Blake was informed he had broken rule 8.7.4. He appealed to the CRO, then the Range Master, who both refused to overturn the call. Discretion being the better part of valor, Blake declined to go to arbitration. Who knew that a small white towel was an aiming device.

Rick

That sounds even dumber. As he was not conducting his walkthrough how does that even count. Meh. Combine that with them not reading his name during the awards, and it sounds almost like they don't like americans or something.

I am confused from the description of the event. If he was sitting facing UPrange when he wiped his face and hands, I would ask what he could possibly be aiming at?

Wow. Just......wow.

I just registered on "global village" to see if there is any more information available there. I'm not fluent in the IPSC rules, but it's hard to believe there isn't more to this than we know about.

A moderator has to approve my membership. Since it's the middle of the night in Europe, it might be a few hours before I'm able to search their forums.

Edited by sperman

I remember when I was taking my RO class back in 2007 our USPSA/IPSC rulebook still had that same "sighting aid" rule in, our instructor had said that a video camera would also have counted as a sighting aid. I was a bit incredulous at that statement, but reading now that a towel also a sighting aid is just outrageous.

Really? A towel? Really? Without malice can someone explain to a noob how this is possible? I do not understand. Are you allowed to point, or is anything in yer hand not allowed? Thank you for the expected education.

I remember when I was taking my RO class back in 2007 our USPSA/IPSC rulebook still had that same "sighting aid" rule in, our instructor had said that a video camera would also have counted as a sighting aid. I was a bit incredulous at that statement, but reading now that a towel also a sighting aid is just outrageous.

So, If I've got this right, having a miniature video camera mounted on your ear gear is a sighting device? OK, that makes a lot of sense. :surprise:

At one of the Area 2 matches before the 2008 rule book came out, I was doing a walk through and wiping my brow with a bandanna and was asked by the RO: "That isn't a sighting device, is it?" The rag was quickly stowed. After that, I made sure my hands were empty of anything until make ready. USPSA had the same rule from 2004 to 2008. I heard rumor it was in response to someone using an Airsoft gun on a walk through. :surprise:

It isn't only IPSC. Fortunately, the rule was changed here.

Later,

Chuck

I just registered on "global village" to see if there is any more information available there. I'm not fluent in the IPSC rules, but it's hard to believe there isn't more to this than we know about.

A moderator has to approve my membership. Since it's the middle of the night in Europe, it might be a few hours before I'm able to search their forums.

Global Village is not an European site, but it's global. So the Administrators are from all over the world. The chief of all chiefs is Secretary Vince Pinto, who lives from Hong Kong.

As I complete my first year as a USPSA member I just wonder what other things I'm going to see like this towel debacle. The same issue had a question on a belt being "secure". It makes me wonder how a belt that I wear that doesn't pass through belt loops is not secure. This belt of mine carries 12 moon clips loaded with 230 grain 45acp plus a S&W 25-2 and it doesn't move. Yet according to the answer given I could not use a belt like mine. Just wondering if suspenders attached to my belt would be acceptable in place of belt loops.

As I complete my first year as a USPSA member I just wonder what other things I'm going to see like this towel debacle. The same issue had a question on a belt being "secure". It makes me wonder how a belt that I wear that doesn't pass through belt loops is not secure. This belt of mine carries 12 moon clips loaded with 230 grain 45acp plus a S&W 25-2 and it doesn't move. Yet according to the answer given I could not use a belt like mine. Just wondering if suspenders attached to my belt would be acceptable in place of belt loops.

Sorry, but it would not be an acceptable alternative

3 loops minimum.