Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Larue or Noveske

WildWest N AZ

So I’ve had three different AR's from three different companies and 2 have been junk and wouldn’t run, and third ran great but the fit and finish was bad. I’ve spent a great deal of time reading mags, reviews, and even joined a all AR forum. I know I know I can’t believe I did the Ar forum either. What I’m wanting is on the tactical side of things, defense, and some 3 gun from time to time. I’ve come down to 2 makers Larue, and Noveske both are known for being tough, reliable, and offering great accuracy. Other than having a great barrel noveske seems to be very pricey and really only runs other company parts and for that price nothing more than mil-spec trigger and bad mil-spec finish come with the rifle. With Larue offering a bit more for a couple hundred bucks less. I’m not concerned about the price here, I’m more concerned about getting the most, and more importantly a rifle that I know will run with out question if ever needed. Any insight on these two would be great, Thanks WWNAZ

I have never been around a Noveske so I cannot comment or compare. I do have some experience with the LaRue Stealth uppers. You didn’t say if you were looking at uppers or OBRs.

My son shoots a LaRue 18 inch Stealth upper with a Benny Hill comp. Very flat shooting and accurate with anything he runs through it. I have a 16 inch Stealth upper. I had a Surefire comp and now a AAC comp for a suppressor. My gun does not shoot as flat but I like the size. My gun likes heavier bullets.

We have never had an issue with either upper. We do not clean them much and probably run them drier than we should. We have shot almost 3K Wolf through them and no issues. Wolf 55 and 63 grain out to 500 at matches has not been an issue in the past.

I run a Laure lower. The fit is much tighter than any other AR lower we have. Don’t know that it helps anything but it is nice just because I like it.

I don’t know much, I hope I helped some.

I'll be the jerk that answers the "this or this" question with a that-

Maybe call JP rifles? They do make some less competition oriented rifles that are in or a little less than the price range you're looking at. I think if you called them up and told them exactly what you wanted you'd get it.

I don't own one but have seen a few and they are definitely nice.

I think you are in can't lose territory though with any of the above...

J.P. Enterprises is now making a L.E./Patrol type rifle line. I would sure consider them before others. No one knows AR,s like J.P. and they build the best for the money. KurtM

So Ive had three different AR's from three different companies and 2 have been junk and wouldnt run, and third ran great but the fit and finish was bad. Ive spent a great deal of time reading mags, reviews, and even joined a all AR forum. I know I know I cant believe I did the Ar forum either. What Im wanting is on the tactical side of things, defense, and some 3 gun from time to time. Ive come down to 2 makers Larue, and Noveske both are known for being tough, reliable, and offering great accuracy. Other than having a great barrel noveske seems to be very pricey and really only runs other company parts and for that price nothing more than mil-spec trigger and bad mil-spec finish come with the rifle. With Larue offering a bit more for a couple hundred bucks less. Im not concerned about the price here, Im more concerned about getting the most, and more importantly a rifle that I know will run with out question if ever needed. Any insight on these two would be great, Thanks WWNAZ

I own both brands and both are great but for three gun and the uses you mention I would get a Noveske. But its a tough choice. Since you mentioned some tactical use Noveske makes the best rifles when it comes to building depend your life on rifles. They are new into three gun but they are a big player in the tactical rifle crowd with a well earned reputation for making the best of the best.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo

Both of the rifles you are considering are great weapons. But after reading your post outlining exactly what you consider to be shortcoming on the ones you are considering, like many others before me, I would suggest you look at JP.

you have doubled your options past the LaRue and Noveske, The JP is the one that most others pride them selves to measure against in 3 gun. I don't know tic about Tactical shooting , I am 99.9% Gamer.

But I do know shooters , if your not in a hurry and can make it to the SMM3gun event 3-24 to 3-27 you can put your hands on two of my guns, = a Firebird and a mixed Firebird LOKI receiver.

I bet the Noveske guys would be happy to let do a hands on too.

I can't promise any thing about having a chance to shoot it at the match ,but a hands on can be a big decider.

I gotta warn you though your going to want a Firebird with the Vortex optic on it B)

I must agree on the new forged lower from noveske if I go that route and i will wait forsure until they start encluding the new forged lower w/complete rifle builds. As far as larue goes i do like the obr, but some of lower pieces such as the color of ctr i just dont care for. last time i talked with larue directly you cant change the stock or grip, trigger to something more to your personal likes with out buying at extra cost. So if I go w/larue I would buy the stripped lower build it to my likings w/ stealth upper which i think has the nicer forearm anyways. I will check out the others also. Thanks WWNAZ!

Have you also checked out the new Bravo Company/EAG builds? Don't know exactly what specs you want your rifle built to (barrel length, gas system, etc.) but a handful of people I know have purchased their 16" midlength gas guns and love them. They'll keep you on the shorter side of the house for the defense/tactical stuff but will still give you a bit of an edge over a carbine length gas system for the 3-gun events.

Why not keep it local? Marty Kolodziej runs Accuracy Speaks Gunsmithing out at Rio Salado in Mesa. They have produced one or two great AR's over the years.

marty@accuracyspeaksgunsmithing.com

480-373-9499

It seems that some of the issues you are using to eliminate makers are very esoteric, color, bad finish??, fit. Whats a bad finish??

I'll be the first to say that LaRue can be difficult to deal with when you want to change something from how they offer it, but a lot of makers feel that they build the "perfect" rifle so why would you need to change it, its PERFECT!!! So we'll charge you a lot of money for it if you feel you need to change it as well.

JP, and Firebird, will make the rifle you want, and then stand behind the product, LOKI is just getting into the arena, but they do make nice stuff, as does Tactical Machining in Fla.,... TM is also a very good, honest, work with you maker.

Of the makers mentioned and the desires you say you are looking for, I'd say JP, first and Tactical Machining, Firebird, LOKI as not really second just other first class options.

Trapr

It seems that some of the issues you are using to eliminate makers are very esoteric, color, bad finish??, fit. Whats a bad finish??

I'll be the first to say that LaRue can be difficult to deal with when you want to change something from how they offer it, but a lot of makers feel that they build the "perfect" rifle so why would you need to change it, its PERFECT!!! So we'll charge you a lot of money for it if you feel you need to change it as well.

JP, and Firebird, will make the rifle you want, and then stand behind the product, LOKI is just getting into the arena, but they do make nice stuff, as does Tactical Machining in Fla.,... TM is also a very good, honest, work with you maker.

Of the makers mentioned and the desires you say you are looking for, I'd say JP, first and Tactical Machining, Firebird, LOKI as not really second just other first class options.

Trapr

What i ment by fit and finish is that for this amount of money I want a nice finish and upper and lower that isnt a rattle trap, which is what im seeing from the brands that most think of when considering an AR rifle. You hate to buy top fueler with a crap paint job and poor fitting seat... LoL

Edited by WildWest N AZ

So at this point I learning more towards the noveske than the larue. Noveske is more than willing to change out a stock and couple other things for credit for another part or two, plus a small install fee. I did look at JP and did see some stuff I liked and will be giving them a call for some info at the very least.

Well there really is only ONE "top fueler" and that is the J.P. CTR-02, everything else is a "B" gas. The rifles you describe ARE NOT in the same class, but they sure seem to want to charge the same price.

Now as "Tactical rifles" go they are good ones, but over priced, and almost any company that assembles with the dreded "Mil Spec" parts will give you a good gun, like Bravo Company, but if you want "top Fuel" J.P. is the one! KurtM

As was said earlier, JP has been doing this for a very long time and they are the benchmark for every one else to compare to.

plus new for this year they have lots of upper receiver options, normal charge, side charge, or both!!!! their barrels perform outstandingly even with 1000's of rounds thru them or extremely hot, their triggers are the benchmark as well, and they will listen to what the customer wants and work with you or offer options.

Trapr

So after a long time on JP's site and a long chat with Mel at JP on what I was looking for and a whole lot of my questions answered. I am putting JP-15 right next to the noveske I was looking at. The JP 15 just plain has more of what I want, and is 500 bucks cheaper :huh: Its strange I knew about JP, heck Ive even shot a JP that a 3 gun bud had and didnt even know it at the time. I guess i didnt think about them just as one wouldnt consider STI trubor for tactical side arm. But as it turns out alot of JP's AR's are used for that, and law enforcement runs them to.