Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Forearm workouts, how often?

Pelican82

Forearms strength is important to recoil management.

How often and how intense of a forearm workout are you guys doing? Right now I am doing some light stuff at the end of each workout 3 times a week.

This just begs for a really juvenile response. (must fight the temptation)

I use one of the little gyroscope wheel thingies when I'm driving. I'm on the road a lot so it works pretty well. It has really helped with grip strength

I train forearms 3 to 4 times a week. I do 2 heavy weight workouts each week. The first is mainly focused on endurance and the second focused on increasing my grip strength. I also do 1 of 2 days each working on oddball lifts that work the hands pretty hard.

• 2 weeks later...

100 pull ups for time.

:surprise: Wow, you must be ripped!

Thats impressive but how is that helping forarm strength? Isn't that more shoulders and biceps?

I'm not ripped, but I'm in good shape. Maybe if I didn't eat everything in sight I'd have a chance. If you do them with palms facing you you will work your hands, wrists, forearms, biceps and back. All of these muscle groups play a large role in the shooting stability. If you suspend yourself from a bar with elbows slightly bent you will feel a fair amount of tension in your hands, wrists and forearms. I weight 175 so it's just my hands holding up that weight. Then add the motion of pulling yourself up 100 times which adds additional strain. You are really working the wrists and forearms until your upper arms becomes almost parallel with the ground. It's for time, but you don't have to stay on the bar the entire time. I do 20 at first and then sets of 5 as quickly as I can. It usually takes me 7 minutes to complete. Guys in great shape can do it in well under 5 minutes.

Deadlift is another great exercise for grip.

100 pull ups for time.

Thats impressive but how is that helping forarm strength? Isn't that more shoulders and biceps?

I'm not ripped, but I'm in good shape. Maybe if I didn't eat everything in sight I'd have a chance. If you do them with palms facing you you will work your hands, wrists, forearms, biceps and back. All of these muscle groups play a large role in the shooting stability. If you suspend yourself from a bar with elbows slightly bent you will feel a fair amount of tension in your hands, wrists and forearms. I weight 175 so it's just my hands holding up that weight. Then add the motion of pulling yourself up 100 times which adds additional strain. You are really working the wrists and forearms until your upper arms becomes almost parallel with the ground. It's for time, but you don't have to stay on the bar the entire time. I do 20 at first and then sets of 5 as quickly as I can. It usually takes me 7 minutes to complete. Guys in great shape can do it in well under 5 minutes.

If you can do 100 pull ups in one set, even if you're kipping, you're a bad aXX. Oops, I didn't read your last post closely enough. Still sounds pretty tough...

Edited by SV-COP

100 pull ups for time.

+1 Pullups are great workout there is so many different variations that you can pretty much workout your entire body by just pullups.

Yup - pullups and running for me.

I used to do lower body exercises but it's a waste of time if you run hard enough.

• 3 weeks later...

This just begs for a really juvenile response. (must fight the temptation)

I use one of the little gyroscope wheel thingies when I'm driving. I'm on the road a lot so it works pretty well. It has really helped with grip strength

I don't have a gyroscope and don't drive much. I think you are leaving me one option... <_<

100 pull ups for time.

Chinups are with palm facing, pullups are palms away

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i take one piece of news paper opened up and start in onecorner and crush it into the smallest ball i can with one hand i do that to each arm once a day. And use a grip strengthener the red one all day at work when im not busy.

My forearms get worked since i don't use straps for my workouts. I use grippers and routinely pinch a 25lb plate with my fingers at the hub and hold it for as long as i can.

Have any of your forearm monsters dealt with tennis elbow? I've been fighting it for a couple of years, and when I'm shooting the muscle on top (brachioradialis or flexor brachial radialis starts burning and then pretty much fails after a minute of hard work. It comes back quickly, but I can't really get through more than 30 dryfires without it going to half-strength. Cortisone cleared it right up for a few months, but if anyone has had success with a particular exercise I'd love to hear about it. I did PT for months but it never really seemed to help.

H.

• 2 months later...