Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Private range noise reduction

I saw a photo somewhere that the person used egg cartons attached to 4x8 sheets and reminded me of the inside of a music studio.

Egg cartons are great for reducing echo inside a room or from a wall, but do little to reduce sound transmission through the wall. You need mass to stop sound.

I've researched the lead in ground water issue a bit. My gf's brother...a bit of a tree-hugger, and a geologist by training...he and I had a discussion

There is legit concern. Lead is soluble in water at a slightly acidic pH. I'll see if I still have our ... discussion.

[edit to add] - I'm not in disagreement with Redmanfixit at all. Just pointing out there is an argument to be made on the other side of it, for sure.

I've researched the lead in ground water issue a bit. My gf's brother...a bit of a tree-hugger, and a geologist by training...he and I had a discussion

There is legit concern. Lead is soluble in water at a slightly acidic pH. I'll see if I still have our ... discussion.

[edit to add] - I'm not in disagreement with Redmanfixit at all. Just pointing out there is an argument to be made on the other side of it, for sure.

Thanks! I'll be standing by!

Don't you drink bottled water up that way anyhow. :rolleyes:

Funny! :cheers: But....I got to poke back - AT LEAST MY GUN RUNS! (sorry Steve I couldn't resist)

On a good note. We had a nice chat with the neighbor today. My plans to plant more trees, limit the session duration times, put up a straw bale wall and plant bamboo seems to be a hit.

Isn't living in the country great?! The pisser...I was here first! :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for some great info!

Steve

Can they stop you? Or, are you just being a good neighbor?

Funny! :cheers: But....I got to poke back - AT LEAST MY GUN RUNS! (sorry Steve I couldn't resist)

On a good note. We had a nice chat with the neighbor today. My plans to plant more trees, limit the session duration times, put up a straw bale wall and plant bamboo seems to be a hit.

Steve

When I built my shooting range, I told the neighbors that if they ever heard the shooting stop, to come over and check on me. I only have one neighbor within a "concerning" distance, so I lucked out there.

But, my guess is that if they are "complainers" already, then they will be no matter what you do.

I'd just shoot during normal business hours, and as long as your not breaking any laws, then do not worry about them. Hope you find a solution though, as I absolutely LOVE shooting at home!

Can they stop you? Or, are you just being a good neighbor?

Steve

Can they stop me? Probably not. I dont really want to post on here how they could shut me down for awhile but there is one way that I am aware of. As far as noise laws or any restrictions - zippy!

I would like to think that I am a good neighbor. We had a very small range (read big pile of dirt) when they first built their house and moved in. At that time I just plinked and sighted in guns for the hunting season. I told them about it and asked them to please let me know if it ever became too much.

Years passed and over the last 3 we started IDPA and USPSA and we made friends with other shooters. Again, no complaints and I continually checked. Matter of fact he even came over from time to time to shoot. On two ocassions he even brought family members over when we were away.

We never shoot before 9 am and always finish before dark. I think (and my wife agrees) that it is the wife stirring this up. She is anti gun, anti hunting....basically anti fun. When we talked yesterday he told a totally different story and seemed very unconcerned by it all.

So, back to your question...yes I think I am a good neighbor. So good that I am about to pick up 100 bales of straw and build a wall around the back of the shooting box area. Then I will be planting bamboo and fir trees. :surprise:

We love this sport and I don't want to loose my opportunity to shoot at home. I just hope this is it and it doesn't come up again. Cause...then I will get midevil on em! :roflol:

BigPops - You need to get a drive way monitor, for thier drive way when they leave its time to practice when they come back its time to stop. I'm a live and let live kind of guy so my neighbors get to do what ever they want on their property and like wise.

BigPops - You need to get a drive way monitor, for thier drive way when they leave its time to practice when they come back its time to stop. I'm a live and let live kind of guy so my neighbors get to do what ever they want on their property and like wise.

Ron, I was thinking of getting them a Bose system so they could crank the tunes as loud as they want. :roflol: (only while I shoot :devil: )

• 8 years later...

I applied for rezoning to build a limited use commercial range to teach gun safety at.  It went well, however the vote was tabled until January.  My neighbor just notified me that a very large group of neighbors (99% pro 2A) will be showing up to the next hearing to oppose my case.  They claimed to love shooting and they all do it, but they are now claiming to be worried about noise and lead contamination.  We are less than one mile from an Izaak Walton shooting range, but I'm in danger of losing my case.  I'm taking the NRA Range Development and Operations Course, but I want to gather even more resources.  I only have a few weeks to prepare for my case.  Any and all advice is tremendously appreciated.

On 3/2/2011 at 10:59 AM, redmanfixit said:

Steve, There should be some photos in your mailbox. I think the structure you'll see is pretty unique. I have been working on getting a Municipal range built in the city where I live in Colorado. The locals need a place for training and the citizens need a place for safety courses and recreational shooting. The county "commissars" here are not friendly to shooters or shooting, so noise is a big issue when you have hostile county govt. to deal with!

• 1 month later...

Bigpops or Redmanfixit, or anyone

I am working with a nearby gun range to see if we can reduce the sound from the range that is impacting our RV community.

There was a post here about 2x6 frames with thick insulation posted by Redmanfixit. I would like to get the pictures of these

frames that were offered and also see if anyone has seen or heard of effective infrastructure that actually helped in this regard. I

would like to create a win/win scenario with the range and would even provide the sound dampening walls if I could find something that

was proven to work and get some guidance how to configure it to be effective.

Thanks Much for any advice!