Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone using an Apple computer?

Bruce

The ones I have used have been great..

at work we have several of the G5 with 20" flat cinema screens..they scream..we also have the older G4 and they have been great too..

We also use the G4 12" laptop and those did great..two went to Iraq and survived with no issues..had to clean out a little dust...

We are getting set to purchase a G5 Server RAID with 3.5 terrabits..that has me really excited...woo hoo..

but love'em...easy to use, little worry of virues..really jams through graphics and video..

downside..not as cheap, not as much available..

Our Host recently iniitiated a "Computers" forum that might be helpful in this matter. Perhaps the Mod on THIS forum could move your question to THAT forum and let it gallop.

Oh, and, no, I don't. I have a PC....... :P;)

Our Host, however, DOES.

I'm typing to you on a iMac G4. Its my first Mac and I could not be happier. I'm really beginning to think that most (if not all) of the anti-Mac hype is just BS. For web-browsing, word processing and spreadsheet - you're well covered (Apple Works allows you to save in MS Word and Excel formats with MacLink, so no biggie). iTunes makes burning a CD about as simple as I think it could get, and buying music through their online store is simple too. I photo is a breeze. And, Mac OS X is just so simple compared to XP, it really is.

All around, I recommend it highly. For work, I have a new IBM X33 with 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram and I think this Mac gives up little, if anything to that.

An iBook would be a great choice for family members. Here is a link to a PDF of an Apple Store page with a basic 14" iBook with wireless card and CD burner for $1398

iBook 933 14" 256MB 40GB w/ Airport Card & Combo Drive

The 3 year AppleCare plan for $249 is definitely a "worth it" addition if this will be a knock-a-round machine.

If you don't have a wireless router at home already, but do have cable or DSL, get the LinkSys 802.11 wireless Cable/DSL router for $129. If you only have dialup, get the Apple Airport basestation with modem for $249 and the dialup connection becomes wireless.

If multiple family members will share one machine, OSX will allow you to setup multiple accounts and using the new "Fast User Switchig" in Panther, they will be able to get between desktops instantly.

I run a W2000 LAN at my office and an all Mac LAN at home. My mac's have a lot better run time record. The PC's are cheaper. Either will do anything the other can, you just need the right software for each.

You will find the Mac so easy to get configured initially, you might not believe that you are actually using a "Computer" :P

--

Regards,

ditto here...been a mac user since the mac se. running a g5 right now...nothing compares...i never have to buy anti-virus sw, and i can do whatever i need to. i'm thinking on porting ez score via java, but it'd been tough...

Hi...I have been using Macs for about ten years...love them..... My wife was a PC gal and switched last year and loves it.... my daughter started using one at about age 9 and found it very intuitive....and now with Itunes and CD burning and etc.. great machines.... also..... a lot less "virus" prone ..... WES

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was a Die-Hard Mac (capital D) user and technician for many years before I started getting into PC's. Now I can't stand Macs. They feel like Fisher Price computers now.

But I'll be the first to say that PC's aren't for everyone. If you like to tinker, a Mac is just not going to do it for you. If you don't care to tinker, aren't all that into cutting edge gaming, don't mind having to deal with the occasional compatibility problem transferring files between colleagues on PC's and have money to burn, the Mac may be for you ;)

Just to lay down my Apple creds so I don't get my ass kicked :): had an Apple IIc (loved that thing) then a Mac Plus with an ImageWriter, then something else I can't remember, then when I started working on them professionally I picked up a very cool Power Computing tower - which I still have, right next to my bone crushing 4-wheel death monster of a PC.

- Gabe :)

Unless you have a compelling "can't get it for Mac" software reason, Mac is the only way to go. MS operationg systems are so maintenance intensive it's just outrageous. You will rebuild your Wintel box every two years whether you like it or not. Even the drive imaging programs don't work for crap anymore. As soon as I can get a decent CAD and other engineering programs to work on the Mac, the Wintel box I'm typing on is going to be the world's most expensive clay pigeon.

I would agree with Eric that a Windoze box is more difficult to maintain. It's not rocket science, but you do have to stay on top of it. Re: reformatting every couple years, it is my experience that XP has done away with that previously hard and fast rule.

- windows updates

- up to date antivirus

- firewall

- spyware protection

Those are must-do's to keep a PC in shape. But if the maintenance is handled properly, problems are minimized or eliminated. Another PC drawback is that you are the big target. Spyware, viruses, etc. Nobody bothers with the macs. The spyware parasite problem alone is almost enough by itself for me to recommend a mac...it's that bad.

- Gabe

PS: In my heart? I'm just glad we still have something of a choice in the matter. :) But I'll never go back to mac. My PC is a complicated customized, hand-built beast thats performance and capabilities just would not be possible on the Apple platform, period.

Hi Gabe,

I hate to disagree with someone who is so certain, but nowadays the Apple platform is every bit as good and in some cases exceeds the Wintel platform in performance and functionality. There is only one arena where the Wintel systems take precedence and that is gaming which means little to me. As far as video and graphics go, the latest Apple hardware and OSX are the only way to go if you are seriously into digital video and professional document publishing. The dual processor G5 systems with serial ATA drives and gigabit ethernet far outperform even the fastest Wintel systems that can be built up when it comes to encoding video and chugging on huge PhotoShop files.

The hardware customization available by building a custom PC box based on the Wintel system is fantastic, but of little use to most folks if they aren't gamers or hardware addicts. The Mac systems are basically ready to perform the tasks they are best at with nothing more than a PCI card for audio/video I/O or some more drive space which is easily added with the new case configurations.

The PC's are very good systems now that XP is out (I only considered NT trustworthy until XP) and XP on a PC box is where I too would be if it weren't for the switch to OSX (UNIX) and the new PowerMac tower configurations. The older hardware (beige towers) and the OS9 operating system were about to drive me to PC world for the same reasons Gabe probably left for, but the new OS (X) and the new hardware saved me from giving in and letting Mr. Gates into my world :rolleyes:

The tweakability is there now at the OS level (can you say "Terminal") and the new G4 and G5 tower designs allow any hardware configuration you will need to do. My G4 tower is an older original AGP motherboard with a processor upgrade hung on it and more drives and aftermarket cards stuffed into it than most hardware freeks cram into their custom PC boxes. The modern G3, G4 & G5 towers are so expandable it isn't even funny. I have a large muffin fan bolted on for added cooling and an outboard 400W PC power supply running all of the additional drives in mine.

Except for gaming (and that is not a hardware issue nowadays), the newer Mac systems give nothing up to any PC system and in some areas they are superior so in the end it's is a wash until you get to viruses and reliability and when these are taken into account, unless gaming is your life, the Mac platform is actually a better place to get work done nowadays.

All in all, each tool has it's reasons and adherents, but there is no real disparity except in personal preference. The actual systems themselves are pretty equal when you actually compare apples to apples (that's a joke, son).

--

Regards,