Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Optics Kool Aid Likes and dislikes

Seeing clearly is not always something that comes with age. I have not had my new Razor 1-4 scope very long at just two months. What has continued to amaze me is how Clear I see now.

I still get some eye fatigue and have to blink now and again on long shots, but not like BV ="Before Vortex" B)

The first part of my earlier thread was mostly how it compared to making a change from Bright Red reticle of my Meopta and second focal plain to the First focal plain cool red reticle of the Vortex Razor.

I was surprised at how the reticle has actually let me speed up on close targets over the Meopta.

Never thought I would reject the Meopta completely.

Shooting my new gun this weekend to shoot in and clean the barrel I was trying to print a 200 yard group at the same time. I had mounted my 6.5-20 Leupold scope on the gun thinking I could get the best group with the scope at 20X Trapr spotted for me and was seeing not good shooting and helped me locate my problems with less than happy groups. the Leupold came off and the Vortex Razor went on the gun as that was going to be the setup after the gun was ready for competition.

What I saw rite away was how much better I could see the paper target definition at 200 yards with a 4X Razor over a Leupold at 20 X Trapr found my problem - my fancy bench rest setup on the wood table was letting the gun bounce when the gun fired. = my groups shrank to under 2" with my better ammo rite away.

Late in the day Sunday my wife spotted for me at 500 yards on steel targets two full size IPSC targets one 1/2 size target three pepper poppers and a MGM spinner

I could see the hits on the steel at 500 yards with the 4x scope. seeing the spinner move from the hits was very cool. the long wait watching the poppers to fall very cool

The Big dislike I have the Vortex is .... I am not satisfied with any of my optics that are not Vortex now. I feel like my Leupold cheated on me, my Burris spotting scope looks like a kids toy.

I mailed off my Meopta like a kid would give away his dog to go to collage.

And I am looking at what guns to sell to get more Vortex :blink:

As all I can think is !More Vortex Kool Aid please!

I keep saying Cool Very cool , If you wanta sip of the Kool Aid look me up at the next event

Pissst -want to look through my scope little girl?

Edited by AlamoShooter

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a razor 1-4, 5-20, PST 4-16 & Razor spotting scope, binos etc. I have been OVERWHELMINGLY happy with them all and everyone that I share them with has been equally impressed. My eyes are getting worse every year and good glass helps. I do not know about a comparison of every one of their products but I did recently look through my binos side by side with same spec swarvo binos. Vortex was better and the swarvo owner pointed it out to me, I was surprised to hear that.

I was driving home the other night and read a billboard on the side of the road, all it said was JAMIE GOT A VORTEX. Anybody know what this means???

you only saw one ?

I just checked to figure out how Old you are, When you get over 50 and an Optic gives you back 10 years on your eyes its hard not to get existed. :P

How excited am I about the Vortex optic ? = Ben Fortin asked me to calm down :D

Jamie,

Be sure to ask to have a peek through my Vortex binos next month (Diamondbacks). Everyone that uses them to spot the long range steel at TXMG says something like, "Damn, that is nice glass!" Much like the rifle glass - Super quality and not so high price! I still like the other glass you sold me though! ;)

Cheers,

Kyle

I have just recently taken a big swig of the Vortex coolaid too, in the form of a 1-4 Viper PST. Decided to go with Vortex after having a truly awful customer service nightmare with another major manufacturer who really out to be better given the price of their scopes. So (as well as the Viper being a quality piece!) one of my big deciding reasons to give Vortex a try was all of the reports of outstanding customer service (even though I expect I'll probably never need it), and the fact that Vortex guys engage with the shooting community on several forums and really seem to listen to what people want. That to me gives a great impression about a company, rather than those who sit about getting fat on Govt contracts and let their standards slide...

As far as the Viper PST goes, I am lovin' it so far! I've not seen a Razor, but I am also finding the Viper to be beautifully clear vs my other more expensive scope with the other company, which got sold as soon as I got it back.

Put a couple of thoughts on the other Viper PST thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=120336&st=25

- I'm sold, think I'll pick up a Sparc for my beater AR as well soon :) Keep up the good work, Vortex! :)

Edited by DanielW

I did some shooting at 500 yards with my new Firebird & Carbon Arms 18" gun The Razor let me see my hits on the target as they made contact and the mark on the target. the big target with the flapper was cool watching it pop out from the hit

the Spinner behind the 1/2 IPSC target has a center hit made with one shot one hit during a calm in the wind.

the small target had 5 hit for 8 shots and the big one has at least 11 hits for 14 shots

I only shot one time at the spinner and I could see it moving , but not see the mark very good = the shooting was at about 5 pm this past Sunday.

I am one happy guy

2011-02-27173954500yardtarget.jpg

The small target was easy to hold for the wind just to left side of it with the wind moving left to right.

The large target brackets perfect between the 500 range marks and move to the side just a bit until a gap opens on the wind side.

It was fun watching the flapper open up , But the shadow on the hole did fool me just a bit through the scope.

500yardtarget2-27-11.jpg

I could not make out the hit mark on the spinner at 500 yards through the scope or the 20-60 Burris spotting scope, But I could see the target swing, my spotter could not see it moving from the hit through the Burris set at 40X B)

I see Clearly Now B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

Alamo,

May the fleas of a thousand caribou infest your _______! :roflol:

If you hadnn't been singing the praise of Vortex so much, I would not have stopped at their booth at the Local Sports Show today. They had a Viper PST there and I got a chance to look through it :surprise: Me Want! But the Surgery Co-pay comes first <_<

Very nice, clear glass and an easy to see reticle. Now to start saving :cheers:

Eye Kant Spel :roflol:

Edited by Modoc

Yeah, but they had two in hand to sell at the show today. Now I have a hand shaped indentation in the back of my head from SWMBO standing next to me at the show :wacko::devil:

Besides, she is up next in line for the next firearms related purchase. Namely a new CAS rifle. :wub: them shooting gurls :wub:

Of course that will probably cost me as much as an AR from Jim.

Edited by Modoc

Yeah, but they had two in hand to sell at the show today. Now I have a hand shaped indentation in the back of my head from SWMBO standing next to me at the show :wacko::devil:

Besides, she is up next in line for the next firearms related purchase. Namely a new CAS rifle. :wub: them shooting gurls :wub:

It all sounds very simple to me a good scope will out last several guns . So If you really love her you will buy the scope for her to go on her gun.

And I don't even know what a "CAS" is :blink:

It all sounds very simple to me a good scope will out last several guns . So If you really love her you will buy the scope for her to go on her gun.

And I don't even know what a "CAS" is :blink:

You are right about the good optic outlasting a couple rifles. She is looking at a tweaked and Tuned 1873 for Cowboy Action Shooting.

We do that several times a month verses Multi-gun twice a year <shrug>. At least I have her upgrading her equipment instead of staying with gear that is now holding her back. :devil:

Any experience with the 2.5-10x Vortex Viper PST?

I saw your post, and I may end up with one of the Viper scopes for Sportsman's Team Challenge as a test. but that will be a month or two out.

I do not have any first hand test on the Viper.

But If you look at the Sniper Hide forum several of 'those guys' are running Viper long range scopes.

OR

if your patient you could catch Scott Parks at Vortex with an email -Scott knows his gear

email is (sparks@vortexoptics.com)

From what I can tell if you purchased one and for some crazy reason you did not like it, = it looks like it may take a day or two to sell it on the forum, and get your cash back.

If you just started a rumor that you had a Viper PST 1-4 for sell you would cause a computer crash

B)

Catch the Fever

Edited by AlamoShooter

I love my 1-4 Razor as well.

Their customer service is as great as the optic itself. I had a problem, received the UPS call tag on Monday, shipped my scope back on Tuesday, had a new scope back on my rifle the following Monday. Its a fair piece from Texas to up north when they got that white stuff everywhere and they still provided a one day turnaround. Wont be my last Vortex. Now if Jamie can just get me hooked up with a cap....!

Jamie-you have stock with this company? Gratuitous plugs...

<_< no, <_< but I like the way you think = I going to check into it.

I may have sold three converts just today

I am like Typhoid Jane spreading the virus, just call me "Vortex Fever Jim"

Catch It B)

And

Your Cap is on my list Bro.

Edited by AlamoShooter

OK, maybe another convert, but that depends on if I can *find* one.

Placed an order for a 2.5-10x with SWFA yesterday, got an email today saying they are backordered and can't commit to an availability date.

Midway says out of stock, "backorder okay".

What's the smart way to buy one of these? Anyone have them in stock?

(oh... and I want a cap, too <grin>)

That is why I included "Dislikes" :blink:

I feel like Christopher Walken "I gotta Fever for more Vortex"!

So now we have the Dislike part We gotta Fever and need a Forum dealer with MORE Vortex

I gotta have More Vortex, I just told Jakers to try Velocity shooter if not Scott at liberty would be better than Optics Planet, Of at least until we see Optics plant as a sponsor at a shooting event

Some one tell me how to do a voice over = I can do a Christopher Walken impersonation fairly good

I am one Wild and Crazy Guy "Does my Vortex scare you?"

OK, maybe another convert, but that depends on if I can *find* one.

Placed an order for a 2.5-10x with SWFA yesterday, got an email today saying they are backordered and can't commit to an availability date.

Midway says out of stock, "backorder okay".

What's the smart way to buy one of these? Anyone have them in stock?

(oh... and I want a cap, too <grin>)

It looks like Primary Arms have now got some in - they're good guys - http://primaryarms.com/product.sc?productId=1217&categoryId=161