Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

holster for changing quickly between limited and open

michael1one

I used to shoot a lot but had to stop shooting for the last 20 years because of work. Recently i joined a club which only has a handful of regular shooters (pretty typical in California.) Even though there isn't much action, I decided to buy a pair of dream guns: EAA witness gold team (open class) and CZ SP-01 (limited class.) I am wondering what competition holster i should get that might work with both guns. The good thing about having few shooter is that it is always your turn. The bad thing is that you don't have much time to switch guns/holster/etc. So i would rather not have to change outer belts if possible. Would DAA, CR, Safariland, or Ghost allow me to use the same holster for the same gun?(unlikely) Or is there a say to switch the holster out quickly (ie without tools.)

I really should give up but enjoy it too much. Any advice appreciated. thanks

I used to shoot a lot but had to stop shooting for the last 20 years because of work. Recently i joined a club which only has a handful of regular shooters (pretty typical in California.) Even though there isn't much action, I decided to buy a pair of dream guns: EAA witness gold team (open class) and CZ SP-01 (limited class.) I am wondering what competition holster i should get that might work with both guns. The good thing about having few shooter is that it is always your turn. The bad thing is that you don't have much time to switch guns/holster/etc. So i would rather not have to change outer belts if possible. Would DAA, CR, Safariland, or Ghost allow me to use the same holster for the same gun?(unlikely) Or is there a say to switch the holster out quickly (ie without tools.)

I really should give up but enjoy it too much. Any advice appreciated. thanks

Race holsters retention is focused around the trigger guard. The CR speed uses a sliding adjustable muzzle platform as part of the retention, the Safariland as well if I recall. Not familiar with the EAA and CZ guns, but if I recall correctly they have the same or similar trigger guard. If this is correct, you could go with holster like the DAA or Ghost; just stick the gun you're shooting into the holster and appropriate magazines and you're ready to go. I do this with my DAA holster and STI based Open/Limited guns (I also occasionally shoot the two guns in the same club match too) I suggest going to the manufacturer's respective websites for the holster you're interested in and check for compatibility. Other holsters that are probably compatible are the Limcat and Guga Ribas holsters. I wouldn't bother with a holster that uses a muzzle platform; had a CR Speed and it was a pain to have to adjust the muzzle cup every time I switched guns.

Edited by SIG shooter

Pretty sure you're going to need two different holsters....the Ghost and DAA definitely have different models for those two guns and I'd bet that the CR and 013 do as well.

Oh, BTW, it's Limited and Open Division, not Class. Guns are Divided by Division. Shooters are Classified by shooting Classifiers. :)

Race holsters retention is focused around the trigger guard. The CR speed uses a sliding adjustable muzzle platform as part of the retention, the Safariland as well if I recall. Not familiar with the EAA and CZ guns, but if I recall correctly they have the same or similar trigger guard. If this is correct, you could go with holster like the DAA or Ghost; just stick the gun you're shooting into the holster and appropriate magazines and you're ready to go. I do this with my DAA holster and STI based Open/Limited guns (I also occasionally shoot the two guns in the same club match too) I suggest going to the manufacturer's respective websites for the holster you're interested in and check for compatibility. Other holsters that are probably compatible are the Limcat and Guga Ribas holsters. I wouldn't bother with a holster that uses a muzzle platform; had a CR Speed and it was a pain to have to adjust the muzzle cup every time I switched guns.

I just checked all the manufacturer's websites and it looks like DAA, CR, and Ghost have different holster. Limcat doesn't make CZ holsters. Safariland seems to use a universal holster (013) but has the muzzle platform. Doesn anyone know if I wonder if i can adjust the muzzle platform without taking off the belt?

Edited by michael1one

Pretty sure you're going to need two different holsters....the Ghost and DAA definitely have different models for those two guns and I'd bet that the CR and 013 do as well.

Oh, BTW, it's Limited and Open Division, not Class. Guns are Divided by Division. Shooters are Classified by shooting Classifiers. :)

If i end up buying two holster (either the Ghost or DAA), is it easy to switch the holsters off the belt or will i need two belts?

I would just prefer to get two belts if you cannot use one holster, although this is not the economical way to do things I don't like to stress about "Did I switch the right holster". Plus you can never have too much gear. :D

With the DAA Racemaster and Ghost Holster, you can get a separate block for each gun. No need to buy 2 complete holsters.

This is what I'll be doing. I shoot a CZ TS in Limited, and will be starting to shoot Open with a Gold Team V12 later this spring. I currently run a Ghost with my TS, but will be ordering a Racemaster to replace it in the next few weeks, along with another block for the Gold Team.

Switching between a standard CZ (75, SP-01) and a large-frame Tanfo will be more of a pain due to the necessary changes to your mag pouches - either swapping to different ones, or completely different inserts if you're running the common CR-Speed pouches.

Between my large-frame CZ (75 TS) and large-frame Tanfo (Gold Team), the mags are fairly similar (not identical) and require only minor tension adjustments on my CR-Speed pouches to swap from one to the other. Thus, I'll be able to keep my Limited and Open rigs identical, only needing to swap holster blocks and check the thumb tension screws on the pouches to change between divisions.

Edited by Walküre

One option might be to have a gunsmith square your CZ's triggerguard to mimic the gold team's triggerguard. Then you should be able to use the Ghost and DAA without having to swap triggerblocks or holsters.

Might also result in you not having to get used to as different a grip when switching between guns.

Edited by mpolans

With the DAA Racemaster and Ghost Holster, you can get a separate block for each gun. No need to buy 2 complete holsters.

That will work, but it's not going to be all that fast/easy to do while at a match.