Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Low-mount Bomars

anachronism

I'm kind of confused about a point. I tried to re-start IPSC a few years ago after an extended absence, and ran into a tech issue. My 1911 (a Colt) has a low-mount Bomar rear sight, installed by a previous owner. Other than that, the guns pretty much stock. When I was asking questions about equipment, I was told by the match Director that my Colt was only legal in open class, and that I'd be shooting with the boys with the comps & red dots. This is because the slide was cut for the Bomar. This didn't sound appealing to me, so I left. I was pretty frosted by the fact that there were plenty of Kimbers among the production shooters, with Kimbers Bomar copy rear sight, and these guns were legal in the class. Is this still the case? I tried reading the IPSC rules on line and while I did see the slide modification rule, I saw nothing that automatically banished me only to open division where I'd be lucky to finish dead last unless I spent thousands on the gun to "play the game". At this point, it appears that the only thing I own that I could use is my old 4 in. 686 S&W. My 1911s all have Novaks on them, and they didn't come from the factory with them.

You are OK in USPSA Single Stack, Limited and Limited 10. In IDPA you are OK for Custom Defensive Pistol. There are other limitations which you need to check. Check out USPSA.org and IDPA.net for rules.

Have Fun and Be Safe,

Richard

PS: I have and use a Colt similar to what you described in both USPSA and IDPA.

Edited by chirpy

That was pretty much the conclusion I reached after reading the manual myself. I accept that the Colt isn't stock, but I felt the ruling was excessive. I never did contact the group again, I hear there's a different group running the matches now. I wasn't about to argue with the man over something I couldn't prove. Thank you all.