Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA makes Distinquished Master Class

hankfan79

I think if you win DC at 3 State level or above matches in 12 months (of the same year) you should get the bump.

It changes nothing, if a master shooter does not like the fact they lost to Sevigny at a match and got 1st master by creating DM does what ? He still gets DC and the other guy still gets 1st master.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sole benefit I see from this creation of a new Classification is to placate the Master class shooters who are complaining because they can't win anymore. The top shooter's (pro, semi-pro, sponsored, whatever...) select matches based on a lot of different criteria but rarely based on whose coming. Most times their attendance is mandated by their sponsor's, or by the fact that the match qualifies for various contingency programs, or their sponsor's are also sponsoring the match. Sometimes it's based on location or to fill a gap in the schedule but rarely. There is only 2 position they care about Division Champion and High Overall. Of the people who have any reasonable chance to make "DM", none of them really care because it's only about winning overall. On that may go against the stated purpose or aim of IDPA but it is always the purpose or aim of true competitors.

There is only 2 position they care about Division Champion and High Overall. Of the people who have any reasonable chance to make "DM", none of them really care because it's only about winning overall. On that may go against the stated purpose or aim of IDPA but it is always the purpose or aim of true competitors.

Exactly.

Okay. After re-reading my post from over there, I guess I should have worded it different. The ones who were inducted Saturday have all won their division at either the Nationals, Indoor Nationals or were within 3% of the person who did win in the last 5 years. This is only the initial class. I don't know if they will make that criteria the only way of achieving Distinguished Master. I'm going to wait for the official announcement.

After the banquet, We were talking with, I believe Robert Ray, and he told us that the DMs will only compete for the Division Champion award. It will be all or nothing. There won't be a 1st DM/MA awarded to a DM. You should have seen Dave Sevigny's face when he was called for the 1st MA award. You could tell that he had no interest in it.

As for the other awards like High Industry, High LEO/Military, etc. I can't rightly say. That topic didn't come up.

Edited by jualdeaux

but then again how many woman GM's do you know in USPSA

There are currently exactly zero female Grand Masters in USPSA.

Given that "Master" is a masculine term, when referring to women shouldn't we use "Grand Mistress"? :roflol:

Given that "Master" is a masculine term, when referring to women shouldn't we use "Grand Mistress"?

No way would I ever go back home to tell my wife I got beat by the grand mistress over the weekend, just saying...

Just received this in the IDPA newsletter:

Introducing the

Distinguished Master

In the last 15 years IDPA has watched the talent and skill level involved in the shooting sports steadily increase. Because of this continued trend and at the request of the membership IDPA has decided to add a new classification above our existing Master class. This new classification will be known as Distinguished Master.

The new Distinguished Master class will highlight those members that have made a great personal commitment to reaching the very highest levels of skill and proficiency with a handgun. To reach this level a competitor must have spent considerable time and effort at refining their abilities. As such, the requirements for being inducted into this classification will be very stringent.

The initial inductees to the Distinguished Master class have already proven themselves by their placement at one of the two IDPA National Championship events in the last five years. These members have placed as Division Champion or been within 3 percent of the Division Champions final time. The initial inductees are:

Custom Defensive Pistol: Bob Vogel, Dave Sevigny, David Olhasso, Eric Fusion, Glenn Shelby, Greg Martin, Matt Mink, Tom Yost

Enhanced Service Pistol: Bob Vogel, Donnie Burton, Matt Mink, Rob Leatham, Taran Butler, Todd Jarrett

Stock Service Pistol: Bob Vogel, Dan Burwell, Dave Sevigny, Ernest Langdon, Gordon Carrell, Phil Strader

Enhanced Service Revolver: Jerry Miculek

Stock Service Revolver: Craig Buckland, Curt Nichols, Josh Lentz

Please help us in congratulating these members for their impressive achievement.

The criteria for other inductees will be the same as mentioned above. Any competitor that places as Division Champion or within 3 percent of the Division Champion's final time at either of the two IDPA National Championships will be inducted into the Distinguished Master class. Currently there is no other method of gaining entry into this classification. With input from those people that compete at this level, the decision was made to have the Distinguished Masters compete only for the Division Champion title. For them it will be an all or nothing match, there will be no awards for other placements in this class.

IDPA is currently undergoing a complete review of the classification system with special attention to the times required to make each class. With the finalization of that review we will consider a method for the achievement of Distinguished Master via the shooting of a classification match. At this point, there will be no requirement for shooters classified in any Master Class Division to complete an annual classification.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a picture of the group who were inducted. Bob Vogel is the only 3 division DM.

2011indoornats00463.jpg

Hey Jonathan..I'm like the guy in the Geico commerical that lives under a rock..Mind sharing who is in the photo??

G'

The reason Bob Vogel is ONLY a 3 division DM..... is because Glock doesn't make any revolvers :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Bob is a 5 division Master, so I guess he already knows how to shoot a revolver. ;)

Bob never actually shot the revolvers, the classifier and the guns just gave up when it saw him coming. You know, kinda like Chuck Norris... :lol:

The sole benefit I see from this creation of a new Classification is to placate the Master class shooters who are complaining because they can't win anymore. The top shooter's (pro, semi-pro, sponsored, whatever...) select matches based on a lot of different criteria but rarely based on whose coming. Most times their attendance is mandated by their sponsor's, or by the fact that the match qualifies for various contingency programs, or their sponsor's are also sponsoring the match. Sometimes it's based on location or to fill a gap in the schedule but rarely. There is only 2 position they care about Division Champion and High Overall. Of the people who have any reasonable chance to make "DM", none of them really care because it's only about winning overall. On that may go against the stated purpose or aim of IDPA but it is always the purpose or aim of true competitors.

I agree. Lots of Masters around here don't shoot in divisions they are Master's in for this reason. I made Master in SSP at Nationals in September. When I got home, everyone was asking what division next. It's like I was expected to move on to another division. I probabally will shoot more ESP and CDP this year in attempts to become 3 gun Master (Only revolver I have is a 5 shot J frame airweight ;) ...)

Edited by prreed10

No Ryan, after 5 years we're just ready to see you shoot something other than SSP :)

Seriously though, I made MA in 2 Divisions last year. I am now EX in the other 3 and I will shoot them as I enjoy challenging myself (trying to make MA) and shooting different guns. If and when I've made MA in all 5 I will try and make DM if there's a reasonable way to do it. That is no way a bash against someone wanting to shoot one Dig/gun type.... I just like to move around as I guess I'm ADHD.