Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Where to purchase 40 Cal 220 grain bullet

Puma

OK I am a newbie to reloading. As a matter of fact my 650 has not arrived. However I would like to know which are the better companies to purchase reloading supplies from. After I shot some 220 gr 40 cal in my STI Eagle 6 inch in a USPSA match I just have to have it. The shooter will not tell me the load but I will have to figure that one out through experimentation.I understand that many top shooters will not tell anyone their 'REAL' loads.....LOL.

#1,Which are the better companies ( reloading supplies ) to deal with considering price, quality and availability of products?

#2, Anyone knows who carries 220 grain 40 caliber bullets ?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

I have a buddy that shoots 220s in his STI. Ill check on his load. I know he uses VV N320.

As far as bullets go, the only place I know of is

Www.thebulletworks.net

They carry a plated 220

Ok he says 3.4 gr of 320 loaded to 1.20 with WSR primers

It shoots reeeealy soft in his 5" eagle. Makes about 180 pf

Hope this helps

Edited by Avezorak

I would say thats a great load for a beginner. Low recoil impulse, less snappy than a lighter bullet. With the load I gave the slide cycles pretty slowly but it feels nice.

Twodown, why do you say its not a good beginner load?

Either it's not for a beginner or he is a jackwagon. I can see a benchrest rifle shooter not sharing his load with a competitor, but we're talking about minute of A-zone out to about 50yds here. Not rocket science to get a load like that out of an STI Eagle.

Either way, I second going lighter than 220, but that's my opinion. I'd stop around 200. There are plenty of powders and 180 grainers out there to find a nice soft shooting combo that will shoot well enough for USPSA/IPSC. Especially out of that 6" gun you've got.

I have read a lot of articles pointing out that bullets 200gn and heavier are not appropriate for .40S&W due to the reduced powder space and the increased danger of any bullet set-back. Experienced loaders should know what to look for. Beginners should start off with standard bullets with referenced starting loads.

I think that beginners should start off with the .45 Auto before going to 9x19 or .40S&W.