Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
punxsutawn

Machine age

I was just curious... Is there a way to tell how old and/or what year my presses were manufactured. I have a couple of RCBS Jr.'s I still use and they have the year stamped on the top. I don't readily see anything on the Dillon presses I have.

No dates on our equipment. Depending on the model and the features they shipped with, we can estimate the year of manufacture. Never saw a reason to date them.

Thanks for the info. And I would agree that there really isn't a need for dates since you have a lifetime warranty. I was just curious is all! Thank you!!

No dates on our equipment. Depending on the model and the features they shipped with, we can estimate the year of manufacture. Never saw a reason to date them.

What has changed in the 550 all over the years? A friend of mine bought a pre-owned reloading machine and wonder how old it is...

Sometimes there are design improvements over the years, and if you have an old machine you may want to upgrade. When the stud on my powder measure broke, it was replaced with one that was supported on both sides of the level arm (a big improvement).

What I don't fully understand is why they changed from the 4" (appox) roller bearing arrangement for the main drive cam on the 1050 to a smaller part. I don't see any functional difference, but the older version seems to be a bit more hefty and a nameless individual who I highly respect told "that's the one to get if you can find one". Dillon - can you tell us why this part was changed on the 1050?

I have a slight nervousness (slight, very slight) that some of the 1050 parts that are not common to the Super 1050 may not be available forever. Although Dillon is legendary for good service, and fast shipment of replacement parts, there is precedent for declaring a design "obsolete" and discontinuing spare parts for machines.

Being a little more specific...

Taking a look on the manual available on Dillon's website (page 3 and 4), I spotted some diferences:

Page 3: # 13841 (nylock nut)

Page 4: # 97034 (slotted bellcrank)

I believe this schematic shows the newest version.

Based on this, is it possible to know how old is the reloading machine?

Thank you!

Dillon RL550b page 3.pdf

Dillon RL550b page 4.pdf

The 450's had a s/n tag in the throat of the frame. When the 450's were first adveritised in a small ad in the back of Guns & Ammo (late 70s) they were 299.00 Shortly latter there were full page ads for 199.00 A price drop of 100 bucks.

I was always curious as to the s/n vs year of production on those early presses. Not sure when Dillon stopped putting s/n tags on their press frames.