Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Unexpected Deaths

JasonK

A very good friend of mine's wife died yesterday afternoon. She was feeling ill with lower abdominal pain on last Friday which steadily got worse until he took her to the emergency room Monday morning. The doctor couldn't find out what was going on but he was concerned enough to admit her. They gave her heavy duty antibiotics and enough morphine to put a normal man down and it didn't really help the pain. By Wednesday she had gotten bad enough that exploratory surgery was indicated. You could tell the doctors were grasping at straws. They didn't know what the hell was going on. The guesses were either the worst case of colitis on record or maybe colon cancer. The surgeon didn't find any tumors or signs of cancer which was good but he also didn't find any overt cause of the infection. Her white blood cell count was in the 41,000's. That is insanely high. By yesterday morning the infection was into her blood supply and affecting the kidneys. By 4:00pm it was a lost cause and they turned off the lifesupport at 4:30. She didn't last five minutes.

Gayle was only 46 and went from healthy and active on one Thursday to gone the next. I can't tell you how much this sucks.

Thanks for letting me vent. There is no emoticon appropriate to this post.

Jason

For the good of ALL concerned, I would think an extensive--perhaps even quarantined--autopsy is called for. Obviously it was serious... and it could've been something we all need to know about. Raging infections can be fast and lethal. I've come close a time or two myself. It's not pleasant.

Jason that is awful! Sorry to hear it. A friend of my (now ex-) girlfriend died the same way. "Overnight" and the doctors couldn't find a thing. Later appeared to be an ectopic pregnancy. The doctors never checked that option :(

Thanks for letting me vent. There is no emoticon appropriate to this post.

Jason

During the five year I worked as an EMT, I was often amazed at apparently healthy, young people dying quickly, while other who appeared to be at death's door when we arrived would go on to survive. Death can be such an arbitrary and capricious thing....

Hang in there, hug your wife, and know we're thinking about and praying for you.