Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Budget "Plate Rack"

I was looking at the cost of steel targets at MGM and had an idea. The price of 6x 8" plates plus 3x 2' and 3x 3' stands is $415 + SH. Why not get 6x 3' stands instead and set them up side by side just like on a plate rack? Or for that matter, stagger them between 2' and 3'?

The cheapest one I ever built was around 25 years ago, using the (free) plates they set railroad tracks on top of cross ties with (around 8X11 IIRC) on top of thin walled tubing with angle iron over the tube to deflect low hits. It worked but a POS by what I would expect today. It did however, teach me as much about building targets as it did about welding.

• 2 months later...

I've talked this over with a few people and they seem to not like the free standing plates for a variety of reasons. The main complaint seem to be that they are a problem to use.

--The stand has to be firmly planted in solid ground so they don't wiggle, this lets out sandy or rocky soil

--The stand has to be close to proper vertical as possible (not tilted) or the plates may not fall consistently

--If someone hits the edge of a plate, it can turn and not fall

--The plate has to be placed on the stand correctly (some plates have a lip on the base so there must be a front and back) facing in the right direction

I'm not sure how many of these reasons are really valid concerns (they seem to be) as opposed to just "I don't like plates".

Comments?

I've talked this over with a few people and they seem to not like the free standing plates for a variety of reasons. The main complaint seem to be that they are a problem to use.

--The stand has to be firmly planted in solid ground so they don't wiggle, this lets out sandy or rocky soil

--The stand has to be close to proper vertical as possible (not tilted) or the plates may not fall consistently

--If someone hits the edge of a plate, it can turn and not fall

--The plate has to be placed on the stand correctly (some plates have a lip on the base so there must be a front and back) facing in the right direction

I'm not sure how many of these reasons are really valid concerns (they seem to be) as opposed to just "I don't like plates".

Comments?

Add to the list the need for a shield in front of the plate stand so a stand hit can't make it fall.

Add to the list the need for a shield in front of the plate stand so a stand hit can't make it fall.

I've seen them used at different matches but never with a shield. I guess the philosophy must be if someone hits something the diameter of a piece of rebar, they can have it.

At the risk of getting flamed (for "stealing" someone else's idea and design :rolleyes: ), I would suggest you make friends with a welder close by and have some built...Teach him (or let him shoot!), and maybe they won't cost that much....

I've seen them used at different matches but never with a shield. I guess the philosophy must be if someone hits something the diameter of a piece of rebar, they can have it.

Nope, it's a REF. No matter how "good" a miss is, it is still a miss. They used them at the last WSSSC. And I think I have seen them at Area 2.