Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G36 Exploding?

TriggerT

When I was at our club last night, there was a picture of a G36 that had blown apart, or as the wording with the picture stated, "Had catasrophic failure." Has anyone heard of this gun having problems? I have a G36 and while I don't put a lot of rounds through it, I have never had any kind of problems with the gun. :unsure:

TriggerT,

I hate to admit this :P , but Glock are not supposed to ka-boom on their own.

Usually, the owner helps this out with improper/unwise reloads and/or other unsafe behaviour.

If that was posted at your gun club, try to find out the details about the "catastrophic failure" you have seen.

I thought mabe it was a shooter who had a squib or something the like, and didn't know enough to stop pulling the trigger. Just wanted to check to see if anyone here had heard otherwise. I would hate to starting thinking that my CCW gun was more of a threat to me than the guy I might ever have to point it at.

Any gun can KB if the user is careless, irresponsible, or just doesn't know any better. I would be surprised if it was only the Glock's fault. You're right, you can run a double charge or squib with a following shot in any gun. In this case it's fairly common knowledge (I hope) that you should not shoot lead out of a stock glock barrel because of the polygonal rifling. If you want to shoot lead get an aftermarket barrel.

In my time on a range I have personally seen the after affects of about five different people shooting a squib out of a Glock barrel. Everyone of them resulted in a swollen barrel and that's it. Kaboom wise the only non-reloader induced KB's came from a bad lot of Armscor ammo. It was apparently a known deal because when we contacted Armscor they immediatly bought back all of the ammo we had left and replaced the gun.

On the other hand the most catastrophic KB's I've seen were in a Gold Cup which split the barrel from the feedramp to the lower lugs. Also a Wilson KZ which blew off the dust cover and launched the plug and guiderod assembly downrange. The Gold Cup died as a result of a steady diet of upper limit bowling pin loads and the KZ was a double charge by an inattentive reloader.

As far as the G36 the only thing I've seen bad about those comes from the occasional jam caused by those extended mags and the lightstrikes which seem to plague some of the big-framed Glocks.

If you've never had any problems with yours and you've fired a couple thousand rounds through it, I wouldn't worry too much.

JK

I just ready a piece posted from an Oregon paper saying that a local PD had two G-21's "blow up" on them durring training. They claimed that they first suspected ammo problems but later determined that to not be so. The article said that they were going to trade them for Glock 9mm's. I'll try and dig up the link and post it.

I've shot countless rounds of lead 200 grain SWC out of my own G-21 without any problems. Of course I clean it every once in a while as well. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Well a little late on this one but I have a G36 and have fired right around 2000 rounds throught it. I get the occasional Jam from the extended mag for my huge hands but never a problem other than that.

Paul Franklin

In recent years I have seen many guns blown. All they had the same problem, wrong powder or wrong reloading charges. In Europe Vithavuori is a favorite powder to use. But don't use N310 in a 9x19 and if you do then don't use the table charges of the N340 powder. A guy just bought a new G17 and after only 5 shots his gun was ripped apart.

This also can happen if you reload N310 instead of N110 in a .44 magnum, pieces of the cilinder flew over 50 yards away.

Two years ago a guy had to be taken to hospital because of his rifle went to pieces, he only had reloaded pistol powder instead of rifle powder into his cartidges. :wub:

I'm a member of the Glock KB club, but it wasn't the Glock's fault.

Anyone can make an excuse, but in the end, it was still my fault. My powder measure on my previous press was acting up so I got a squib. I've had squibs before only this time, I heard nothing. The squib happened to occur on the last round before a reload, so I reloaded and went back to work......my second mistake.

First, I should have paid more attention at the press, by checking powder levels. The second mistake was not eyeballing the ejected misfired "round". I had a malfunction that took time,,,,I was already hosed, so I should haved check the round that ejected, but I didn't.....I wanted to make up time, so I put performance before safety....always WRONG.

Strike two. Strike three came on the firing on the next live round.

Nothing sounded or felt any different. Fortunately, I was shooting some pretty wimpy minor PF loads in my G22.

In fact, I shot another 90 to 100 rounds that day and didn't know I had ruined my barrel till I went to clean the gun and found the barrel bulged and cracked.

Nobody noticed anything at the time.....

I was very fortunate. It only cost me a new barrel. The pistol is still running today.

H4444

• 2 months later...

Any Glock with a Glock factory barrel can blow up even with factory ammo. I say a Glock factory barrel because they are much less supported chambers them a good aftermarket barrel but even these are not fully supported. I also say even with factory ammo as it does happen, I have seen a G21 do that with am Americ load, but 99% are from reloads that are either pushing the limit or brass that should have been thrown out.

I am not against either, if I did not reload I could not afford to shoot much and if I had to replace a barrel on every Glock I bought I could not afford to own an assortment of Glocks.

Jim

A few years ago, someone shot 190pf .40 ammo (loaded w/ Clays) out of their longslide Glock. The result was a kaboom. Blew the magazine out of the gun, blew a hole in the grip and the ejector is still orbiting. Fortuantely, the guy wasn't hurt except for some very minor cuts to his hand and Glock repaired it at cost. There are a few places on the 'net that have documented kabooms in Glocks. Most of them are ammo related. Glock kabooms

The horse is dead and beginning to smell. I say we just bury Mr. Ed now.

============================================

Edit: The locking has NOTHING to do with TriggerT, who is a fine, upstanding, well-loved member of the forum. His question seems to have been asked an answered. ;)