Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

blue edge

In the first photo, if the case does not go in all the way the round may not chamber all of the way?

If it goes in past the lower ledge the round would have pressure problems?

In the second photo,if the case is above the top ledge simple trim it. if the case is below the lower ledge?? what will that cause?

My Speer manual says MAX CASE LENGTH 1.760 ---- TRIM TO 1.750 Is there a +or- ? How short can you use?

post-2309-095887200 1298238850_thumb.jpg

post-2309-067488500 1298238871_thumb.jpg

In the first photo, if the case does not go in all the way the round may not chamber all of the way? Correct.

If it goes in past the lower ledge the round would have pressure problems? No. excessive headspace is the concern which could result in head separation when fired because the brass is being stretched too far to fill the chamber when it expands. that is always a bad thing for bottleneck cases.

In the second photo,if the case is above the top ledge simple trim it. (right) if the case is below the lower ledge?? what will that cause? nothing major. a wee short is fine.

My Speer manual says MAX CASE LENGTH 1.760 ---- TRIM TO 1.750 Is there a +or- ? How short can you use? (too short? a little hard to say, really. i suspect 1.730 might be the lowest to go. i base this on using a Lee factory crimp die and when my cases are around 1.735 there is barely any brass left where it crimps. other than that it's not something to freak about. a short neck per se will not affect feeding or function. and the brass will grow a bit after you shoot and resize it.)