Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going prone

Resjudicata

Can an old phart join this discussion?

As a 63 year old and 2 times Senior Champ I can still get down in good time and be comfortable about it. There is a couple of thing been ommitted that I have learned by trial but mainly error. When you get down there you must be ready to shoot straight away.

So line up yourself,and your holster, on the first target you want to engage. Go prone in the most efficient and comfortable manner you can find.

You will find that when you get down, and your gun is on the mat, it is aligned on the target and you don't have to go searching for it.

It is not how fast you go prone but how fast can you get the first aimed shot off.

Now getting UP is another matter but it is not on the clock. So who cares :lol:

Coatesy :cheers:

• 9 months later...

As far as the distance to go prone, it may depend on your division also. My production gun with no mag well is very low especially at the closer distances and it is hard to get your head down far enough to see through the sites. I am told you cannot build up the pad on your mat in production. Maybe using a different position is an option?

The best I've found is the roll over prone position for going prone with a stock handgun. You need to position the mat at an angle to the target. If right handed have the back of the mat moved to your left. When you get down your body will be at an angle to the target with your legs left of center and slightly roll a bit to your right until your entire torso on the right side of your body is in contact with the mat and your extended right arm from the shoulder to the bottom of the hand is in contact with the mat. In this position the but of the handgun is on the mat and your head is resting on the outstretched arm. You are in solid contact with the mat including the handgun. It works best with the head resting on the arm and using the left eye to align the sights.

You will need to practice to determine the angle of the mat and your starting stance needed to land in the best position.

• 1 month later...