Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MG bullet for CZ 75 Shadow?

59Bassman

I'm now out of the Ranier 115 JHPs I picked up a month ago for break-in on my CZ 75 Shadow. It looks like most folks are running the 124gr bullets, so I'm about to take the plunge and order some Montana Golds to work with.

What I know so far is that the 115 JHP's worked at an OAL of 1.125. I also had some 124 LRN I tried to load up, and the profile does not get along with my chamber. I had to pull those back to 1.07 before they'd drop in, and I'm not going to try shooting them that short.

I'm wondering whether the FMJ, CMJ, or JHP 124 gr would be the preferred bullet for the Shadow? At least for now, I'm probably going to be loading Tightgroup with them.

I ran my CZ-75 with Montana Gold 147gn CMJ, 3.36 gn Titegroup, 1.100" OAL, with a 134 PF. It's very soft shooting and accurate. If you are used to a snappier load (and faster cycle rate), going with the 124gn CMJ or FMJ would be the way to go. Start at 4.0gn and work your way up.

In my 75 Shadow I run 124gr MG JHPs at 1.085" Any longer and they will touch the rifling. CZ Custom recommends Zero 124gr JHP at 1.100-1.000" however that was too long with the MGs.

Edit: The rifling on the new CZ barrels comes all the way back to the chamber. You won't be able to load to a "normal" length especially with JHPs. I used an unsized case so I could move the bullet easily and dropped it into the chamber so I could measure the correct seating depth without hitting the riffling.

Edited by blind bat

The way I look at it (very personal approach) is that every single gun is more or less unique. Thus, it needs load development done for BEST results for gun-shooter combo.

I have both - a Shadow and a CZ75SA - same ammo shot out of them shows different velocity and therefore PF.

124JHP MG bullets for me. I use N320 or Clays.

I just ordered 1k of these to try. I'm tired of not being able to find Zero 124gr JHP's, and I've heard that Montana Gold's are usually available. If these work well in my Shadow, they'll be my new bullet of choice. I like Zero's a lot, just can't find them when I need them. Also using N320.

I just ordered 1k of these to try. I'm tired of not being able to find Zero 124gr JHP's, and I've heard that Montana Gold's are usually available. If these work well in my Shadow, they'll be my new bullet of choice. I like Zero's a lot, just can't find them when I need them. Also using N320.

I think you will love them. I've never had a hickup with these and they are accurate. I just can't believe you only bought 1k! :goof:

I about to take the plunge and switch over to MG from Zero. Like others have said, MG is almost always in stock, and Zero's are getting harder and harder to find. it seems like they're never in stock when I go to reorder.

Going to try and test to see if there is any accuracy difference between Zero 125FMJ, MG 124FMJ, and MG 124JHP ( still have about 20 of those laying around from when i first starting loading ).

Has anyone done a similar test and come up with any concrete results in accuracy? Why do you shoot JHP over FMJ? Or vice versa. Can you honestly see an accuracy improvement with JHP, or do you just prefer them.

OP, hope this isn't a thread jack, I think it's in line with what you were originally asking about.

FWIW, I'm using N320 in a SP01. For accuracy I'm talking about USPSA type accuracy requirements, not bench rest or bullseye type competition.

I think you will love them. I've never had a hickup with these and they are accurate. I just can't believe you only bought 1k! :goof:

Just gotta be sure. If they work well, there'll be a 3k order(or more) right behind it. :D

Why do you shoot JHP over FMJ? Or vice versa. Can you honestly see an accuracy improvement with JHP, or do you just prefer them.

I prefer the JHP's because they don't produce any smoke, as there is no exposed lead base to melt and vaporize like FMJ's do. Honestly, if it weren't for the smoke, I'd still be shooting lead bullets. They're cheaper, cause less wear and tear to the bore, and they feel a bit softer to shoot, as well as being every bit as accurate if not more so than jacketed. But smoke can have a way of blocking your vision when you need it the least. As far as whether or not FMJ's or JHP's are more accurate, I don't notice any practical difference between the two for USPSA needs. Both will do the job for our purposes.

124 MGJHP, CZ 75B, 1.1", 3.9/4.0, n320 (no real ogive--straight sided to conical nose)

125 Zero JHP same load (has ogive and loads more consistently in my turret press)

Like was said, the ZERO's are made in sporadic batches; and the well runs dry periodically.

I "begged" the nice lady at Zero, and she "found" another 3K.

Edited by 1SOW

I order from Zero once a year and get enough to last 18months, that way when they are out I am not. This way I also build up a stockpile slowly and without bending the account out of shape.

Anyways the original question was MG in the CZ. I have tried 115gr and 124gr JHP, never had the oportunity to try the 147gr before I switched to Zero.

Using eitehr N320, or Titegroup. I never had much luck with Clays in 9mm. The 124gr was the best for.

CZ75, CZ85Combat and SP-01 Shadow. I also used the 124gr in my daughters NRA Action gun again with TG. Nice and accurate out to 50.

It sounds like I should start with the 124 JHP. Although I just checked the Hodgdon website, and it does not appear like they've got appropriate data for Tightgroup (what I have the most of) for a JHP - I'd expect I could use the 125 data for the FMJ.... Hrm.

With my Shadow and MG 124 JHP's I have to load 1.075. Seriously thinking about reaming it out about .03 or breaking down and using roundnose bullets. Make about 130 PF with 3.9 gr VV N320. Shoots nice! Just worry about possible feeding problems, so far only once in about 1,000 rnds.

Took some to the range with me yesterday - not even a hiccup out of my CZ Shadow, and they seemed like they might even be a little more accurate than the Zero's I had been using...either that or I was having a really good day (and I wasn't).

I'll be ordering more. :cheers: