Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

105,000 Power factor SSR Load

Jeepster1

I am thinking that a Berry's 158gr bullet on top of 3.7 grains of Win. 231, shot out of a Smith 686 4" barrel should make the 105,000 power factor (SSR IDPA) with room to spare. I don't have a chrony so came up with this recipe after looking at several different loading manuals. Any comments on this load and the new IDPA SSR power factor? Thanks for replies.

I suspect you will be way off. I used 5.0gr 231 to easily make 125pf. I suspect you will need between 4.4 and 4.6gr to make the new pf. Old chrono tests with 3.8gr 231 yielded about 93pf. Results will vary abit depending on COL, crimp, etc.

divided by 1000

I don't believe IDPA divides by 1000. I have always heard power factor in 100 thousands ie 125000,165000 etc. Could be wrong though. later rdd

Do they shoot at steel in IDPA? Will 105,000 pf loads knock it down?

Yes we do and the answer to that is "maybe". With the new 105 PF for Stock Service Revolver, Match Directors are going to have to use a factory load in .38 from a 4 inch gun to calibrate all the poppers.

I think a demonstrated compliant load from the shortest barrel used in the match is a better bet for calibration.

Remember, IDPA does not require competitors to demonstrate compliance from their gun/ammunition combination.

A 107000 PF/4" barrel load shot out of a 2" revolver (both of which are compliant with the rules) will yield well below 100000 PF.

Craig

Do they shoot at steel in IDPA? Will 105,000 pf loads knock it down?

With anything the shooter must do their part. Too many times the PF is blamed because the tacticool marksman can't hit the plate high enough and is squirming for that five seconds.

We can just use some loads that make 105 from a 4" gun and use a 1 7/8" 442 pocket gun to test poppers. We can use that as an excuse to buy a 442 or 642 as if most of us already didn't have one. :cheers:

I know a MD that does this with wadcutters out of a pocket gun to knock over contested poppers all the time. It's truly hilarious.

• 2 weeks later...

If it doesn't they'll give the popper a FTDR.

Now that's funny....and probably true! (relax....just a humorous IDPA jab)

I'm not a revolver shooter, but try to keep up on the other disciplines. 105,000 should make for some fun guns to shoot!!

I understand the reason behind that decision, now that a lot of box store ammo is on the weaker side. However most reload their ammo, and when the match is over, the 4" S&W for carry...if used at all, is loaded up with the "real stuff". Just another rule for no reason.

They could also use the ICORE rule on ammo instead, where 158 gr. generic ammo is exempt from the 120 PF requirements, so newer shooters that don't reload...yet, can get away with factory ammo.

When I started the IDPA game, the rule book had about 10 pages, and look now. Every sport will be gamed to death no matter what folks say and do. It never stops.

IDPA # A00003

I understand the reason behind that decision, ,,, Just another rule for no reason.

IDPA # A00003

So was there reason for the rule or no reason? You contradict yourself.

158 gr ammo is not consistently available in stores, if at all in many.

And I'm not sure what the PF change has to do with "gaming". It's not at all about intentionally skirting the rules to gain an advantage. People shot sub-PF ammo not for an advantage, but because they couldn't follow a rule even though they wanted to.

Jess the true nature of human beings is to be competitive. When that competition is reigned in by a box or rules we all try to operate as wide open inside that box as is possible. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank IDPA for inspiring such creativity amongst its gamers. Seriously, look at all the innovations! All this work to prevent an equipment race has done exactly the opposite and started the mother of all of them. I say they set a weight, a PF and a mag cap different to each of the divisions. Stock means you didn't fiddle with it in any way, 105PF and factory spec weight. Enhanced means you've been under the hood, see you at 135PF and 44oz. Custom...anything goes sans optic and comp...eight in the mag/cylinder max see you at 165PF and ?oz. No caliber floor just make PF safely. Gun shall not be visible dangling under concealment garment, no box. Beautiful and simple. I believe that the equipment race isn't going to stop and it's silly seeing all the mother may I's on different mod's so just govern it by letting the local clubs laugh the tacticools back to their compounds. They'll eventually run out of money. When did this stop being about safe fun first?

Hi GR 7070,

Yes, that came out wrong ha ha. What I ment to say was, that I understand the reason for the rule change, however the new rule could/should have been like the ICORE rule for fellow shooters who don't reload.

Not complaining ! It's just a sport we enjoy.

If I were to shoot SSR IDPA [and I probably won't, with a USPSA match every weekend where I live], I'd be shooting at least 130,000 pf. After running 180 pf [uSPSA], I think those bunny farts would put me to sleep. :roflol:

I understand and support the "ICORE" ammunition idea in theory.

But I have 2 questions:

Can someone tell me how to practically distinguish between a "factory" 158 gr load and a hand loaded one without significant forensics and a lengthy discussion? If you can, I have several NIB Rolex's I'll make you a smoking deal on.

In the end, isn't the projectile's weight and its velocity as it exits the competitor's gun the only 2 things that can be measured with reasonable certainty - and that really matter?

Craig