Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tears of the Sun

I just watched the DVD of Tears of the Sun, with Bruce Willis. (On our new 50" TV, it looked great.)

Wow. Not your typical shoot 'em up, but a thoughtful look at choices and their consequences. And tactics done right, without lectures to explain them.

The start is slow, and the ending a bit weak, but the middle is tight, strong, and something you don't want coming up in your dreams at night. (No problem for me, as I have regular dreams that have no difficulty shoving little stuff like that off the mental display screen.)

Don't rent it looking for a high-round-count shoot 'em up. That's one of the tactics they don't lecture, but if you think aobut it for a minute, is obvious and correct.

I would agree that the beginning and end were weak, but would also agree that the middle, the scene in the one villiage they happen upon in particlular, is really good. However, the entire story line was so damn weak, I could have done without the rest of the movie.

I think it was probably just really poorly edited, it's a good story, basically the retelling of the Magnificent Seven which is a rip of the Seven Samurai.

Coulda been the new standard of heavy shoot em up with a duty and sacrifice message.....but Hollywood @#%#!@$%# it up again.

I liked it enough to own a copy. I went to see it because it had Monica Bellucci, and to a lesser extent, Bruce Willis. After seeing it in the theater, I was very favorably impressed.

I'm not sure I agree the ending was weak, but I can where some alternative editing choices might have improved the overal product.

It was also the first time I've seen Cole Hauser (Wing Hauser's boy) actually do a good job acting.

The critics hated this movie.

I thought it was pretty good.

Bashing by the critics is the sign of a quality flick anymore. Remember, we live in the age of "reality TV". (Isn't that on oxymoron?)

You can bet most of the "big name critics" are gun haters and sissymen. Or just flatulent old geezers like Andy Rooney. :lol:

Bashing by the critics is the sign of a quality flick anymore.

We have a dedicated saying for the reverse situation here in Italy, where the critics absolutely love a movie, but it is generally bashed by the public:

Wife and husband reading movie reviews on a newspaper:

"look honey, the critics gave three balls to this movie..."

"yeah, and the spectators had two balls at the end of it..." ;)

Interesting piece of trivia from IMDB.com:

The title of this movie was the subtitle for a Die Hard 4 project the studio was making. The project needed work and Bruce Willis told the studio he would commit to Die Hard 4 if he could use the title for this movie.

• 4 weeks later...