Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to get most capacity on sv 140 & 170 mags

Rye

I have the new stamp sv mags for 9mm. I am currently using a limcat base pads and grams spring and follower. I'm only getting 23 rounds on 140 and 28 rounds on 170mm. I have seen people posted with 29-30 rounds on 170 and 24-25 rounds on 140mm. Please let me know how to set it up. Any input will surely be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello: The 170mm mags you will have to check the gauge. The 140mm will fit the guage for open. Does that give you some ideas? :devil: I use a Bolen follower and spring with Grams base pads. On the 170mm I use 4mm base pads and check the gauge. On the 140mm I use 11mm Grams base pads. My 170mm mags hold 30 round of 9mm and the 140mm mags hold 25 rounds of 9mm. I do tune the mags so they will fit the guage and hold those numbers and feed correctly. Thanks, Eric

Hello:The 170mm may fit the gauge without work with the 4mm base pads. The mags are all over the place on length so your results may vary. That is where the tuning comes in :devil: Grams also make a 2.5mm as well for the IPSC gauge or mags that don't quite fit the USPSA gauge. Buy some base pads and try them out. The 4mm can be used on the 140mm mags for Limited also. Thanks, Eric

My 140's hold 23 with Bolen springs and followers and Grams pads. My 170's hold 28 with all Grams springs and followers and Dawson pads. I've tried a bunch of combos and the max for my tubes is 28.

I've stopped caring about the extra 1-2 rounds some people get and I plan accordingly.

Hello: The 170mm mags you will have to check the gauge. The 140mm will fit the guage for open. Does that give you some ideas? :devil: I use a Bolen follower and spring with Grams base pads. On the 170mm I use 4mm base pads and check the gauge. On the 140mm I use 11mm Grams base pads. My 170mm mags hold 30 round of 9mm and the 140mm mags hold 25 rounds of 9mm. I do tune the mags so they will fit the guage and hold those numbers and feed correctly. Thanks, Eric

Can you tell me how many coils you have in your 140mm and 170mm, hard as I try and with years of experiance I can only get 28 rounds in the 170 with dawson pads and grams springs and followers, thanks

Hello: The 170mm springs have 13 coils and the 140mm have 11 coils. I don't cut the coils on the Open mags. The Bolen spring fits better into the Grams and Bolen base pads than the Dawson's. That may be where you are getting one less round. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: The 170mm springs have 13 coils and the 140mm have 11 coils. I don't cut the coils on the Open mags. The Bolen spring fits better into the Grams and Bolen base pads than the Dawson's. That may be where you are getting one less round. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

When the Bolen setups first came out, the folks using them locally said they were only getting 10-15 cycles out of the springs before they took a set and failed. Is that your experience with them now?