Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

using AKs in 3-gun

Johnny Kalasnakov

5.45x39 Hornady V-Max steel cased is 100% steel free in the bullet, so usable on steel, and about $20 for a box of 50. That ain't so bad--comparable to decent .223, anyway. 7.62x39 SST is a little pricier, at $30 per 50, but still...not that bad so long as you practice on paper and shoot the good stuff for matches. My 5.45 guns should be here today...I've already got the mags and ammo, including the 45 round Bulgy RPK mags.

5.45 meets minor power factor floor, but not by an excessive amount, so you're not dealing with any recoil you don't need. As I said before, I did rather well before with a .30 cal against the .223s, so the 5.45 with a brake should be downright competitive.

I did find out that the stock AK74 brake SHOULD meet, or be very close to meeting the size requirements. From the muzzle forward, its like 2 inches, and the diameter is right at one inch....some examples I've measured have been under, some have been .010 or so over. Whatever these end up being, if they work well enough, I'll make sure they are under one inch, or shave off .005 on the lathe just to make them whiner-proof.

5.45x39 Hornady V-Max steel cased is 100% steel free in the bullet, so usable on steel, and about $20 for a box of 50. That ain't so bad--comparable to decent .223, anyway. 7.62x39 SST is a little pricier, at $30 per 50, but still...not that bad so long as you practice on paper and shoot the good stuff for matches. My 5.45 guns should be here today...I've already got the mags and ammo, including the 45 round Bulgy RPK mags.

5.45 meets minor power factor floor, but not by an excessive amount, so you're not dealing with any recoil you don't need. As I said before, I did rather well before with a .30 cal against the .223s, so the 5.45 with a brake should be downright competitive.

I did find out that the stock AK74 brake SHOULD meet, or be very close to meeting the size requirements. From the muzzle forward, its like 2 inches, and the diameter is right at one inch....some examples I've measured have been under, some have been .010 or so over. Whatever these end up being, if they work well enough, I'll make sure they are under one inch, or shave off .005 on the lathe just to make them whiner-proof.

I will have to ask my FFL buddy to order some of that ammo. What is the average cost in 7.62x39?

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a group from my new 3-gun AK 74. It's a 1-4x optic, shot at 50 yds from supported sitting. The longer ranges were being used, and I just wanted to see really quick if this concept was worth messing with, so I plopped down on one of the 50 yd bays. 5 shots, Hdy V-Max 60gr 5.45x39.

45428bd5-056c-2531.jpg

I'd say this will probably shoot well enough to not be a significant handicap in the accuracy department.

Edited by SPQR476