Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kentucky State Match

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, big guy, looks like a mountain man... you've met him Bri - you guys compared size he-man style at the nationals and he won  :wub:

Kath, yes I know..... just odd to hear David called 'Mr. Shooter Grrl'... :huh:

Hey Kattitude,

When Big Dave fell there it was a couple of years ago and it was a full bodied sprawl while sprinting from left to right(gun safely down range at all times, even during the fall and recovery). I swear the ground still quakes, he fell hard.

In fact, I'm sure it must have been one of the aftershocks of BD's fall that threw your own David off balance and caused his fall... :rolleyes:

Hope he heals fast.

TomB

Hate that I missed this one. The KY boys put on great matches. Those fellas know shootin'!!!

I was very, very close to making a drive-by appearance, but twix lured me to his match. Great match and well ran, but I still wish I would have made the effort to go south. Haven't seen Dr. Footjoy in a while. I WILL make area 5 so we can swap spit then.

Wabash Valley Practical Pistol Shooters was there. ( Sans Prez ) Hope you'all got to meet some of us!!!

PS... That long haired kid Brett Thompson is one of us. Glad he did well. Now if he would just take my advise and slow down a little!!!

:D:PB)

Guest bulm5

finally....I guess I didn't do too bad. Came in 3rd overall in L 10. Need to practice some ....Maybe going to Indiana state match this July.

no that i have my fix (results) i feel much better now. a mike on the last stage cost me a 3rd place finish. i guess i can't complain too much, i came in 4th out of 23 B class shooters and it was my first major as a B class shooter.

hope to see some be'ers at the buckeye this saturday. i'll be wearing a black barnhart performance hat, white sti golf shirt and tan 5.11 shorts. just look for pudge.

finally....I guess I didn't do too bad. Came in 3rd overall in L 10. Need to practice some ....Maybe going to Indiana state match this July.

Good job, compare!

I had to settle for looking good this time (again). Ako ay guwapo!

Hey folks,

This was my first tournament, and I just happened to be in the squad with David, AND the shooter who scored the 7sec. on stage 7. For what it is worth, it was an RO error, when he took off running for the last three targets behind the barrels, the RO couldn't keep up, and the timer did not record the last shots. Twist of fate.

I hope David is recovering.

H.

RO error indeed. I was the RO. The shooter did run like a gazelle and was ahead of me. However, my timer recorded 20 shots. 24 shots were fired. Now the question is did the timer not get the first 4 of the last 6 rounds or the last 4? I could not tell. Either the timer recorded the last shot, by the time I caught up, in which case the time was 7.91. Or, the last shot picked up was the head shot, the first of the last 6, and the 4 shots over the wall were missed, so add less than a second. In either case it was the fastest run on that stage of the match, and because no one could believe it was that good a fine gentleman was robbed of his first place run. We saw excellence on Stage 7 and were so limited by our self imposed limitations we failed to recognize it.

Dale

I would suspect it had to be the later shots, because of the distance involved to run to the last targets. A very fast NFL player will run 40 yards in a little over four seconds, so a fast "normal" person could probably cover 30 yards in about four seconds if that's all they are doing.

In retrospect, although your stage (Dale) was a lot of fun to shoot, the part between the poppers and the last targets was what I call "gratuitous movement." It served no logical purpose in the context of a shooting sport. Now, had there been a few targets to perforate along the way, it would have been much better.

I'm pretty sure you didn't design it ... just sharing my opinion! ;)

RO error indeed.  I was the RO.  The shooter did run like a gazelle and was ahead of me.    However, my timer recorded 20 shots.  24 shots were fired.  Now the question is did the timer not get the first 4 of the last 6 rounds or the last 4?  I could not tell.  Either the timer recorded the last shot, by the time I caught up, in which case the time was 7.91.  Or, the last shot picked up was the head shot, the first of the last 6, and the 4 shots over the wall were missed, so add less than a second.  In either case it was the fastest run on that stage of the match, and because no one could believe it was that good a fine gentleman was robbed of his first place run.  We saw excellence on Stage 7 and were so limited by our self imposed limitations we failed to recognize it. 

Dale

Dale

I am not picking on you but see this as an opportunity to learn for all.

It did not pick up any of the last 6 shots. Perhaps he took extra shots at steel or it picked up echoes? The last shots could have been completed in appx .65-1 second by anyone fast including TGO. They were 3 targets, 1 yard downrange of wall, 1 yard apart. Shot # on timer don't count in an official match anyway. No shooter, including TGO, could shoot the stage in 7.91 seconds. It was 3 arrays with a 7-9 yard then a 25-30 yards dash, in between the arrays, 24 rounds total. E Bragg shot it in 11.61 and is a world class shooter, was fully on, it was one of his last stages, and was finishing a great match. I know he won Limited even before I saw rankings as my squad followed him and any shooter would have their hands full beating him that day. Look at his finishes on all stages I think he won 6 or 7 of them. Although a 7.91 on the first 2 arrays would be a great run happening. Add 3.5 for the run and 1 for the targets and you get 12.41 which is a true stage winning run and in the range of what he probably did.

Look at the other stages and see how close leaders and top 3 or 4 are. Especially in Open. In Open the differences are smaller and closer. Its the same weather you are M or C class.

Here's the real catch. When a shooter gets credit for shooting a 120 point stage in 7.91 and the nearest shooter is 14.30 then he is getting 50 or more stage points then match points, that he doesn't deserve and is not fair. This changes rankings VERY radically since most stages are won by only 1-10 match points. Its like winning 3-6 STAGES!!! When his score was changed almost all current leaders became 2nd or 3rd place. I mean in all classes. It did not change my ranking either way. It did change a lot of peoples so that's why Chuck B got involved. He knew it was incorrect and was that important. Yes the difference of 5-7 seconds is the match win for most people. I know it flipped M and B classes and probably did others also.

PS Me giving him a 3.5 Run is very generous. NFL players run 4 sec 40's with NO gun, on astroturf, and run through the end. We have run on gravel, stop and shoot. Probably ran a 13-15 sec run but just giving an example.

I wasn't there... I didn't see it... and my rule book is packed in my range bag in the truck.

Bottom line... there is a rule that covers this and it is something like... if you cannot record an accurate time, then you have to re-shoot him, period. If my buddy Manny Bragg (and other GM's) shot this stage in 12 seconds, and someone else shot it in 8 seconds, then the 8 second run is not an accurate time (unless Manny fell down, had a bad jamb, etc).

You gotta re-shoot him.... ;)

Sounds like a reshoot to me, but we shot the match Satuday and even 14 seconds sounds like warp speed. It was slower in the rain with condoms. We couldn't even shoot pictures of 2 stages because the camera wasn't waterproof

The problem is, I don't think you can penalize someone for severly beating a top shooter....That run could have been the stage of his life, perhaps he shot it so well as know one else in the country could have kept up with him. We all know from experience that no one is unbeatable. I did not see him shoot the stage, so I really can't comment further.

However, perhaps if the RO didn't have any problem keeping up with other shooters, and this particular shooter took off like Oprah going after a ham, the time COULD be correct.

RO error indeed. I was the RO. The shooter did run like a gazelle and was ahead of me. However, my timer recorded 20 shots. 24 shots were fired.

Nope - not RO error. RANGE EQUIPMENT FAILURE - mandatory reshoot. Especially in light of the FACT that it didn't register 4 shots - doesn't matter WHERE the 4 shots were, it didn't work as intended, periodoso, no more argument, vewwy sowwy Mr. Superfast but ya gotta do it again.

Kinda glad I missed all this now :) But it does explain why Bart DNF'ed this stage, heh?

Bart later reshot the stage, though not for score, just for grins. I ran the timer again. Mr. Bragg was also there. The second run was not as fast as the first, not as smooth and the sprint was not as fast. I did record all 24 shots. The second time he ran it in less than 11 seconds, again.

Range equipment failure? Possibly. I had no evidence of range equipment failure other than other, more experienced shooters and RO's telling me the time was impossible. I did not get all 24 shots, but the shots on the timer, as previously noted, do not count. Only the last shot counts. Bart fired no extra shots. There is the possibility the timer picked up echo from the steel, but I had no reason to suspect that. I used the same timer for three days with no problem. I was able to do a better job of keeping up with the other shooters. We need to hire track stars to RO running stages!

Rhino: I did not design the stage. I would not have had me running a 20 yard dash every 5 minutes for 2 days! :D