Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 reloading problem? Please help me diagnose

davester00

First of all I'd be glad to say no one was hurt.

The only casualties are: BCG, Upper Receiver and maybe barrel extension.

This came from a batch of 500 milwall reloaded .223.

The reloaded ammo shot well in other guns except one.

The AR is less than a year old and is in great condition.

Doubt it's the use of incorrect powder or over-charge.

Inclosed are the pictures of the BGC and split case.

Has anyone seen this or know what caused the problem?

167042_10150402018430506_866900505_17050227_849433_n.jpg

181383_10150402017520506_866900505_17050207_4052238_s-1.jpg

Yes I have seen this before

For the bolt to be blasted back into, and splitting the carrier...it had to be unlocked

The first time I saw this..a bullet was stuck in the barrel beyond the gas port..any obstruction would do it

When the gun was fired, pressure was instantly delivered to the carrier, unlocking right at ignition

When I disected that barrel, i found that the second bullet never even made it to the gas port, and the obstructing bullet was just in front of the port

It was poor quality reloads

A second gun I examined had a broken fireing pin that was so carboned up, it was practicaly welded in the bolt

When the bolt closed(before locking) the protruding pin fired out of battery

An over charge may break the bolt and/or extension..even burst the barrel, but the carrier usually survives

A simple rupture does not normaly do this kind of damage

Just what I have seen...not an absolute

Jim

Another possibility is that when the round chambered, the bullet was pushed back into the case, decreasing the internal volume and raising the pressures. I had this occur when someone used their reloads in my M-16. In my case, the mag blew out,the extractor blew out, primer went away, case swelled up like yours, but was intact. It required a 10 lb hammer and a steel rod to drive the case out of the chamber. No damage to the carrier. I replaced the bolt, headspace was fine.

MiWall has the cheapest price on reloaded ammo at every gun show I've seen them at. They sell lots of ammo, if it was junk I don't think they would be selling it.

Bullet pushed back like Dillon said gets my vote. Bummer deal loosing an upper though. The brass most likely was once fired Militay brass, and the brass could of been defective, but it does look like yours was over pressure vs a generic case head separation.

MiWall has the cheapest price on reloaded ammo at every gun show I've seen them at. They sell lots of ammo, if it was junk I don't think they would be selling it.

Bullet pushed back like Dillon said gets my vote. Bummer deal loosing an upper though. The brass most likely was once fired Militay brass, and the brass could of been defective, but it does look like yours was over pressure vs a generic case head separation.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77762

Including mine, this is the fourth separation with Miwall ammo that I know of.

I know of a couple of other separations with other brands, but Miwall alone stands for four of the six "factory" blow-outs I know of without being anywhere near that ration in terms of number of rounds fired.

Yes, limited statistical data, but its enough for me to stay as far away from anything Miwall.

And yes, people buy Miwall because the price is right (which was my excuse/mistake), not because of their high quality.

Edited by gose

Reloaded ammo increases odds of a case head seperation. I've even had a couple with my handloads before I stopped using range brass.

HSM and BVAC also sell lots of reloads, and they have had users with trouble too. Cheap ammo has it's risks. In this case it looks more like over pressure vs case head separation, but it can't be ruled out.

I've shot lots of HSM and Black hills, always good to me. I handload lots of ammo, but I still buy Blackhills when it's on sale for some loads. I have friends who buy Miwall at the shows, they are not large volume shooters, but it's working for them, but I'll share the above photo with them.

Reloaded ammo increases odds of a case head seperation. I've even had a couple with my handloads before I stopped using range brass.

HSM and BVAC also sell lots of reloads, and they have had users with trouble too. Cheap ammo has it's risks. In this case it looks more like over pressure vs case head separation, but it can't be ruled out.

I've shot lots of HSM and Black hills, always good to me. I handload lots of ammo, but I still buy Blackhills when it's on sale for some loads. I have friends who buy Miwall at the shows, they are not large volume shooters, but it's working for them, but I'll share the above photo with them.

Btw, the case retrieved from my rifle looks almost identical to the one posted above.

Are properly functioning AR able to fire out of battery?

I believe that this AR functioned properly before the round blew up.

IF he had the problem more than once = a similar condition that Jim described could happen = instead of carbon jambing the firring pin in place it could have been pieces of the primer getting into the firring pin hole causing the firring pin to jamb forward . and that could have caused the round to fire before lockup.

But I don't know, But I don know that if it is MY gun thin i will provide the ammo, or see the box it came from.

Are properly functioning AR able to fire out of battery?I believe that this AR functioned properly before the round blew up.

Even in a properly functioning one.....EX: high primer so the bolt does not close but the floating firing pin touches off the primer would be one case of OOB firing. After something like what happened here it would be hard to say it was truely properly functioning, Imean just because it fires O.K. may not mean all is well.

Edited by Powder Finger