Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Non-HM Irons Division Anymore

You can shoot iron sights in any division you like. However, participation in the iron-only Tactical divisions has become so anemic that many matches are now allowing red dot sights in the formerly iron-only divisions. My experience is that this rule change has produced a significant uptick in participation in the former "Tactical Iron" division.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

StealthyBlagga,

Can you fire out some data on the numbers. X-number of shooters in this group now as from last year. How many shooters have come directly into 3 gun because they could go RDS. Maybe numbers of iron shooters that switched to RDS and Optics shooters that downgraded from magnification. Of course, how RDS is stacking up on the final results.

Its a lot of info but I am interested. I'm not in a hurry so if you can generate the info, take your time.

post it or pm me.

Thanks

Jay

I think it should be noted that even since 1x optics have been allowed in both HM and Limited, both divisions have been won by shooters using only iron sights at all major matches. (unless I'm wrong)

Bring you iron sighted rifle, compete against those shooting 1x optics, and send them home scratching their heads.

StealthyBlagga,

Can you fire out some data on the numbers. X-number of shooters in this group now as from last year. How many shooters have come directly into 3 gun because they could go RDS. Maybe numbers of iron shooters that switched to RDS and Optics shooters that downgraded from magnification. Of course, how RDS is stacking up on the final results.

Its a lot of info but I am interested. I'm not in a hurry so if you can generate the info, take your time.

post it or pm me.

Thanks

Jay

In June 2010 we changed the rules for our monthly multi-gun match at Rio Salado, to allow red dots in a new Tactical Limited division. The old Tactical Iron division typically made up around 10% of the entries. The new Tactical Limited division now makes up about 25% of the entries. Here is the most current "before" and "after" data:

* The entries for our January 2010 match were as follows: Open = 17% (10/58), Tac Scope = 71% (41/58), Tac Iron = 9% (5/58), HM (Iron only) = 3% (2/58).

* The entries for our January 2011 match were as follows: Open = 25% (15/61), Tac Scope = 36% (22/61), Tac Limited = 26% (16/61), HM (Scope+Iron) = 13% (8/61).

I'll get a clearer picture of the shift when I look at the entries for SMM3G 2010 vs 2011, but my instinct is that the gain has been partly newbies with M4 carbines/red dots, and partly experienced shooters moving over from Tactical Scope division. Unfortunately for the rest of us, Kelly Neal has been seen with a Leupold Prismatic RDS on his rifle a lot more in 2011 :( . You can see the results of our last match, including a heads-up comparison of all divisions (Kelly won outright) here: RESULTS

Edited by StealthyBlagga