Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock with Bo-Mar sight

Remy 2009

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so. The rule states, in part: "Sights may be replaced, but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm."

The way you describe it, yours doesn't maintain the original configuration by hanging out past the slide.

Just my $.02 and I'm not a referee, just a long-time AP shooter. :roflol:

Alan~^~

Alan I think has it mostly correct. BUT, I would argue that the original configuration was post and notch. Depending on whose rear sight you used (as long as you did not machine the slide to install it) they generally are either right over the cut or sit somewhat back. The Sevigney sight sits about 1/8" back of the rear of the slide, and he used those in 2009 and 2010 as far as I recall. I know he won the match 2009. If your sights as as close to his pattern and hang back no more, the checkers would not have cause to create problems.

Uh, you might want to take a look at the sights he's talking about. Sevigny sights sit near the rear of the slide, but not overhanging. The Bo-Mar he is talking about sits in the dovetail but the blade of the rear sight extends off the back of the gun 3/8" or more. Basically the whole windage adjustment drum is hanging off the back. I'm not sure if they're legal or not, but comparing them to Sevigny sights is like saying I can use an Aimpoint because someone else use a fiber optic front sight.

I will be shooting Bianchi Cup for the first time production class. I shoot a glock 34 it has standard post front sight with a notch blade BoMar brand rear sight the one that sticks out past the rear of the slide about 1/4 in. is this sight prohibited.

NRA Action Pistol Rule 3.2.1

The following firearm modifications are prohibited.

c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm, front adjustable sights.

d) Peep, ghost, optical, electronic, Bo-Mar and Aristocrat type sights.

NRA Pistol Department

I will be shooting Bianchi Cup for the first time production class. I shoot a glock 34 it has standard post front sight with a notch blade BoMar brand rear sight the one that sticks out past the rear of the slide about 1/4 in. is this sight prohibited.

c) Changes in the original factory sight configuration of the firearm, front adjustable sights.

NRA Pistol Department

So the way d) was explained to me was they were looking to exclude the Bo-Mar style Ribs, not the Bo-Mar style adjustable sights that go into normal spot on the slide. Otherwise many of the Sig's, Para's, and there are a couple other guns that come with a Bo-Mar style cut from the factory would be illegal?

So of the two pictures, the one on the Revolver was the one I was told last year was the prohibited sighting system from d). The Bo-Mar on the Glock is what I believe the OP is referring to.

post-1196-078935100 1297084990_thumb.jpg

post-1196-065875800 1297085001_thumb.jpg

NRA Pistol Department

So I truly understand. Dawson adjustable rear sights. That fit in the same dove tail are ok? Like this one http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=1710000-1093363057 If it possible could we please get an official ruling. Thank you

So I truly understand. Dawson adjustable rear sights. That fit in the same dove tail are ok? Like this one http://www.dawsonpre...0000-1093363057 If it possible could we please get an official ruling. Thank you

Perfect! Thanks Chuck, see ya all in Columbia, MO in May, the NRA will be in Columbia in 3 months from today.

NRA Pistol Department

I misunderstood the type of sight that the OP was using, I thought the Bomar sights were more like what I have on my 1911 and barely overhang the slide.

OK if adjustable front sights are not allowed, is that even if they were originally fitted and are a factory available part?

I have a S&W 686 AFS 6" revolver.

It was supplied (and they made enough to meet the production rules) from the factory with an adjustable front sight (elevation only).

OK if adjustable front sights are not allowed, is that even if they were originally fitted and are a factory available part?

It was supplied (and they made enough to meet the production rules) from the factory with an adjustable front sight (elevation only).

NO...

2011 NRA Action Pistol Rule 3.2.1 d) is clear:

d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

NRA Pistol Department...

• 2 weeks later...

2011 NRA Action Pistol Rule 3.2.1 d) is clear:

d) Only open sights may be used. The front sight must be a non-adjustable post sight. The rear sight may be adjustable if the firearm was originally manufactured with an adjustable sight. Sights may be replaced but they must use the original dovetail cuts and must retain the original configuration of the firearm. Fiber optic sights are permitted.

NRA Pistol Department...

I am not trying to beat dead horse in to the ground but. I am shouting a 5 in XD I just want to make sure I can put this set of sights on it http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=2190000-1094593468 ? It is a long trip I do not want to get nailed when I get there. Thank you all again for your help.

As far as I can tell, if that sight goes in without machining the dovetail cuts and does not overhang the rear of the slide, it is legal for NRA AP Production.

They tried keeping it simple, but they forgot how complicated simple really is. :rolleyes:

Where does it say it can't over hang the back of the slide? I don't see that anywhere in the rule. My understanding is that the rule prohibits ribbed style sights.

Edited by mpolans

As far as I can tell, if that sight goes in without machining the dovetail cuts and does not overhang the rear of the slide, it is legal for NRA AP Production.

They tried keeping it simple, but they forgot how complicated simple really is. :rolleyes:

Yes this sight needs no slide mods.

Kyle Schmidt won Production last year with an XD but I don't know if he had adjustable sights. The problem is the part in there about it having been made with adjustable sights first. I know the Glock 34 comes with those silly plastic adjustables, but I don't know that I've ever seen a factory XD with adj. sights. I think NRA is gonna have to answer that. And keep whatever answer they give you with you when you get to the match.

I just want to make sure I have this right. I have a glock 17 which came with a fixed rear sight so I can't replace it with the Dawson adjustable even if it uses the same cut. But on my 35 which came with an adjustable sight I can.

I just want to make sure I have this right. I have a glock 17 which came with a fixed rear sight so I can't replace it with the Dawson adjustable even if it uses the same cut. But on my 35 which came with an adjustable sight I can.

you can order your glock 17 with factory adjustable sight from the factory. so they are hard pressed to prove it didn't.

Where does it say it can't over hang the back of the slide? I don't see that anywhere in the rule. My understanding is that the rule prohibits ribbed style sights.

You may be right, as you say Production rules do not say the sight may not hang over the back. I may be confusing the Metallic Rules about sights. I know I had to be careful when I built my new Metallic gun to the rules, as they were in 2006, they could not extend over the rear of the slide by any more than some piddling amount.

Kyle Schmidt won Production last year with an XD but I don't know if he had adjustable sights. The problem is the part in there about it having been made with adjustable sights first. I know the Glock 34 comes with those silly plastic adjustables, but I don't know that I've ever seen a factory XD with adj. sights. I think NRA is gonna have to answer that. And keep whatever answer they give you with you when you get to the match.

As the rules are written, that doesn't seem legal, and I believe I brought it up regarding XDs and maybe Berettas a year or two ago. Not that I agree with the way the rule is written, but it does seem pretty clear that if a gun wasn't at least available with adjustable sights, you can't add them later.

Edited by mpolans

So could we please have an official ruling. I need to send the gun to the gunsmith for some work and need to tell him which sights to put on. Thank-you very much. :cheers:

Edited by 1911vm