Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SVI Slide Stop Slips

Fergus

The slide stop on my SVI infinity 40cal works itself out occasionally - what would cause this to happen?

On a few occasions the slide stop has worked itself out partially and once it actually fell out when I was shooting a stage. I thought it might have been a worn slide stop or a weak spring so I replaced them both. However since replacing the slide stop and spring the same thing has happened again.

I'm looking for idea's or suggestions as to what may cause this to occur.

Thanks

Dave

Are possibly left handed?.......

I'm right handed and still had my gunsumith just flatten the rounded portion of the end of the pin.....not a lot, but just so it was a little below the counter sunk hole in the right side of the frame.......If you just barly touch it unknowingly during recoil you get what you are describing...Drove a couple guys nuts till they figured it out and fixed it...now he just does it to all the guns.

Joe

Edited by ipscjoe

Use a very small drill bit to make the detent deeper.

+1

Also verify the hole through the plunger tube has no burrs and consider changing out the plunger spring.

Once all three are completed, your problems should be solved.

Bill

Checked out the plunger tube and the spring is changed out. But what is the detent?

Thanks

Checked out the plunger tube and the spring is changed out. But what is the detent?

Thanks

There should be a small indentation in the back of the slidestop where the plunger makes contact with it.

Alright I found the detent it was a little hard to see with the new slide stop.

Drilled a slight indentation in the slide stop using a 3/32 drill bit in my press, don't see any burrs under 2.5x magnification but still buffed the surface with some 800grit just to be sure.

The plunger tip is sitting / aligned so looks pretty good. Will have to try out and see if the modification works if so then will drill my spare slide stop.

Thanks for all the help.

Dave

Don't drill too deep, otherwise the plunger will sit in the slide stop and will became very hard to disassemble.

I've never heard of such a problem with a brand new slide stop.

As Blkbrd said, look if the inner part of the slide stop is not contacting the nose of the bullet.

Bullet nose can also hit it causing it to pop out. Trim to avoid this.

What are you suggesting I trim?

My over all length which I'm reloading too is 1.155 typically with some rounds as long as 1.180inches.

Thanks

Take the upper off the pistol, put back the slide stop and then insert a loaded mag.

Look from the top to see if the bullet nose is not hitting the slide stop.

You can trim it to avoid any contact with the bullets but still retain the lock feature if your magazine followers allow it.

Take the upper off the pistol, put back the slide stop and then insert a loaded mag.

You can trim it to avoid any contact with the bullets but still retain the lock feature if your magazine followers allow it.

I will look this morning right after my wake up coffee and see if my followers or any part of the mag is coming into contact with the slide stop. I'm using stock SVI Mags, but maybe it is just one mag that is the cause of the problem given that its an intermittent problem.

Thanks Kindly

I will look this morning right after my wake up coffee and see if my followers or any part of the mag is coming into contact with the slide stop. I'm using stock SVI Mags, but maybe it is just one mag that is the cause of the problem given that its an intermittent problem.

Thanks Kindly

Put a couple of dummy rounds in each mag when you check for interference fro either mag body, follower or the round itself. Check each mag in the gun.

Pat

Well after spending a couple of hours this morning working through all my mags I have to admit there is enough wiggle room in the magwell that depending on how the mag is inserted I can hit or not hit the slide stop - I did take a few swipes with a file to the slide stop but debating whether or not to trim/alter the slide stop further. I did trim the tabs off some of the followers but all that did was allow for a deeper mag insertion such that the mag tube could hit the slide stop - not the outcome I wanted.

Time to contemplate next steps.

Edited by Fergus

I do believe we have it figured out now.

I did take a bit more material off the slide stop so we are looking good. As well some additional problem solving and came up with the root cause being a combination of bullet type and overall length being the culprit.

I have been reloading some round nose bullets to an overall length of 1.155 which is not a good combination and hence the cause of the intermittent problem of the slide stop slipping out. Prior to this I had been loading a little shorter at about 1.13. In addition to this I had purchased a different type of bullet as in shape and have been reloading that to an OAL of 1.18.

Here are some pictures of the two types and one can see that the round nose has less clearance on the slide stop. The 1.155 has been the issue as I've not had a problem with any other loads.

post-15201-086091000 1297291347_thumb.jp

post-15201-054167800 1297291358_thumb.jp

Edited by Fergus

Thanks I think! {LOL} It would help if I was a bit more mechanically inclined - I heard there was a good YouTube video on how these guns are supposed to work guess its time to look it up.

Edited by Fergus

• 2 years later...

What brand of slide stop you replaced it with from the OEM ? Different brands have a different diameter, you may be loose in the link. plus from the picture you showed you can take a whole lot off the inside of the slide stop that the bullet is hitting and pushing the stop up, all that u shaped notch does is hook under the slide and allowes you to lock the slide. good luck