Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For those who either narrowed front or widened rear

kreativecid

Did a search about widening rear sight or narrowing front sight. A few have done it.

On a 5" barrel with f/o front and adjustable rear would you go narrow front or wider rear if you had to do it again?

Looking for speed mainly. My eyesight is so-so. Currently I have a .125 and it covers the target beyond, oh, 10 yards. Was about to buy a Dawson .100 but figured I'd ask since the tools are in my shop to make any mods. Don't really care about cosmetic issues since the stock bluing is weak and the gun will get refinished in a year or so.

On my Limited and 1911's I open up the rear to .130 and .100 front.

For my eyes this works very well. But you might

Want to start at .115 and work up from there! That

Way you won't ruin that rear blade!

Hello: I have done both. For me I like the 0.115" wide rear sight and a 0.100" on a 5" pistol. I have put the slide in the milling machine and thinned down the front sight. I have also opened up the rear sight blade as well. I find if the rear gap gets too wide I get sloppy with my shots. With the 0.115" wide rear blade and a thin front sight it works better for me. Funny thing is that I like the 0.090" front blade on the 6" pistol :surprise: I guess I need to try a 0.090" front sight on the 5" Oh I have and I like the 0.100" better. I do like the green fiber insert that is 0.040" diameter. I also rabbit ear the rear sight blade. It helps with targets that are real close together and helps me find the center faster. Thanks, Eric

I prefer a narrow front sight (~.090") paired with the Deep Notch rear sight from Kensight (Brownells PN: 100-002-633). I started shooting a Glock with Sevigny sights and when I switched to a 2011 I couldn't stand how short the notch was in a standard Bomar style sight. I found the Kensight and I really like being able to see the majority of the front sight height through the notch.

Not sure this is how Eric does it, but this will give you an idea.

Rabbit Ear Bomar

rabbitear.jpg

Edited by 01G8R

It's not really something anybody can answer for you. I just recently swapped the rear sight on one of my 1911s. I'd previously installed a .090" front, which I liked, but I wanted a bit larger notch, so I went from .115" to .120" and like it better. R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I think that just changing things sometimes make you pay attention, thus you shoot better. I'm not convinced there is a huge difference between an .100 or a .090 or anything close. I'm not a fan or the .115 rear and find for action shooting .125 - .165 works as long as I scale the front sight accordingly.