Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pin grip safety?

snokid

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glocks have their weaknesses in design.  Just like 1911's.  There is no such thing as a 100% reliable weapon, period.  Anyone who thinks that they are carrying one is living in denial or just has a false sense of security.

I just find it unlikely that with 6 Glocks and the problems that DT had with each that it was all the fault of the Glock design, materials or manufacturing.  

"I just find it unlikely that with 6 Glocks and the problems that DT had with each that it was all the fault of the Glock design, materials or manufacturing."

Well, it's not just my problems we're talking about. We're talking guns battered into unserviceability inside 10K rounds, guns blowing up with a frequency all out of proportion to any other handgun design. If all that's NOT the fault of the Glock design, materials or manufacturing, just what else could it be?

(Edited by Duane Thomas at 6:01 pm on Sep. 10, 2002)

*Quote*

guns blowing up with a frequency all out of proportion to any other handgun design.

Shot my Glock 23 twice with full power load.  The brass was so badly bulged I ordered a KKM barrel and havn't and won't shoot the factory barrel again.  Those Glock barrels are scary.

(Edited by the duck of death at 8:18 am on Sep. 12, 2002)

This topic change deserves to be moved to the Glock forum; important allegations!

Duane said:

The malfunctions I had were always the same: the empty cartridge casing extracted out of the chamber but didn't clear the ejection port, it wound up above the chamber, still horizontal and parallel with the barrel but trapped between barrel hood and breech face.>

I'm very interested in this malfunction; it is exactly what is happening with my Kimber Pro Carry !!!

It needs to have the springs changed; the recoil spring is binding.  I have also noticed a burr on the curved, under surface of the ejector.

• 15 years later...
On 7/8/2002 at 1:17 PM, snokid said:

In esp or cdp can you have your grip safety pinned?

I can find where it says that in ssp the safey must be retained but I can't find anything about it in esp or cdp, where someone might want to pin their grip safety..

sno

I realize this is a VERY old thread, but it's the first thread that showed up when searching google for the same question. Not sure when it changed, but as of the 2017 rule book you absolutely can NOT pin your safety. Rule 8.1.8 - Section E from "general rules" makes it pretty clear. 

8.1.8 Non-IDPA-Legal Features and Modifications for All Divisions The following features and modifications are not allowed in any division unless otherwise specifically allowed in the rulebook. A. Compensators of any type including hybrid or ported barrels. B. Add-on weights. This includes (but is not limited to) weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips, and weighted grip plugs. C. Heavy and/or cone style barrels without a barrel bushing except as allowed in ESP, CCP, BUG and CDP divisions with length restrictions. D. Sights of non-standard configuration (ghost rings, Bo-Mar ribs, etc.). E. Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80 frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the hammer can fall when the cylinder is open. F. Lights mounted on firearms. G. Rail mounted lasers and bolt-on trigger guard mounted lasers are not allowed.

If you mean that they will sell you a 1911 with a nonfunctional grip safety, I doubt that would pass tech inspection at a sanctioned match.  Note that deactivation of a safety is not allowed as a "feature" as well as a modification. 

Now if somebody is making up guns with a version of the Novak "Answer" that would be a different matter. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2002 at 3:17 PM, snokid said:

I can find where it says that in ssp the safey must be retained but I can't find anything about it in esp or cdp, where someone might want to pin their grip safety..

sno

In a club level match they may let you but in a major match where they are required to crono your rounds and check you will get DQed .

check rulebook 8.1.8  e.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2002 at 3:17 PM, snokid said:

sno

In a club level match they may let you but in a major match where they are required to crono your rounds and check you will get DQed .

check rulebook 8.1.8  e.

• 2 years later...
33 minutes ago, Jim Watson said:

Might be why Cheely doesn't call it a "grip safety" just a "beavertail."

But then he probably doesn't give much thought to the IDPA market.

I love the fact I can order a cheely 2011 that has a non-functional beavertail but I can't put it on my 2011. I am guessing this fits under the same rule that the wilson edc 9 series does not have a functional beavertail. But it still built around a 1911 concept. I am glad SVI has a 2011 with a non-functional beavertail also from the factory. 

On 12/3/2020 at 1:12 PM, RePete said:

If it's a 1911/2011 then the grip safety must work.

Rule 8.1.8 (E)

e. Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device including (but not limited to): manual safeties, grip safeties, firing

pin, striker, and hammer blocking safeties, 1911 series 80 firing pin safeties, 1911 Swartz safeties. 1911 series 80 frames may be used with series 70 slides or vice versa. Revolver actions may not be modified so that the hammer can fall when the cylinder is open.

If it comes from the factory with a beavertail but never had a grip safety, how is it being disconnected or being disabled?

For it to be disconnected it would have had to come from the factory connected, for it to be disabled, it would have had to come from the factory as a functional grip safety.

On 6/29/2018 at 11:53 PM, rooster cogburn said:

Go to 8.1.8  E in the rule book. Disconnecting or disabling of any safety device  manual, grip, firing pin, striker or hammer safeties is not allowed. This is in the new rule book.

if it came from the factory without a grip safety, it isn't being disconnected or disabled.

2 hours ago, RePete said:

That is correct but in 1908 the grip safety was added.

If you want to compete in IDPA, you would require  a pre 1908 pistol.  Good luck finding one.

Does not matter what anyone thinks, the ok has already been give by HQ if a 2011 from the factory has only a beaver tail then the gun is legal! If HQ would have not deemed it legal than the wilson XDC 9 series 1911/2011ish pistol would not be legal! So Repete it does look like he has found a 1908!

22 minutes ago, MarkS_A18138 said:

Does not matter what anyone thinks, the ok has already been give by HQ if a 2011 from the factory has only a beaver tail then the gun is legal! If HQ would have not deemed it legal than the wilson XDC 9 series 1911/2011ish pistol would not be legal! So Repete it does look like he has found a 1908!

If you are referring to the EDC 9, it has a grip safety.

Where does it say that the 1911/2011 is legal without the grip safety?

18 minutes ago, RePete said:

If you are referring to the EDC 9, it has a grip safety.

Where does it say that the 1911/2011 is legal without the grip safety?

You are correct the edc 9 pro does but it's little brother the EDC X9 series does not.