Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 9mm

LLDJR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would have to find someone who makes the 152 gr. bullet. I believe Penn Bullet makes something similar. Yes it is a SWC and the powder charge depends on your set-up. I use Winchester Super Target.

FWIW

Richard

You would have to find someone who makes the 152 gr. bullet. I believe Penn Bullet makes something similar. Yes it is a SWC and the powder charge depends on your set-up. I use Winchester Super Target.

FWIW Richard

Thanks Richard, I will give that a try.

Everyone else, thanks to you too, this has been helpful and I will probably search out a Trojan and fondle one a bit,

Whoa! The Trojan is $999 and you basically stole that PM9 which retails for $1530. At least the 2011 model does.

Maybe this should be a new thread, but what makes the PM9 so desirable beside its limited availability?

I think the f/o front sight on the PM9 is like the Spartan's. A wide .125?

What are the benefits of a serrated top slide? Cosmetic? More time put into the build obviously which adds to the cost a bit.

But seeing as how you paid less than a Trojan you were definitely in a win-win!!

also, if you can find one, dont rule out the dan wesson pm9!

I bought mine new, at less than the trojan price and it has serrated top of slide, front f/o, and has run great for 5k rounds

Edited by kreativecid

I just bought a 9mm Spartan from Dawson (with DP .185 x .100 FO front sight, installed free, and DP ICE no-gap magwell, 1/2 price and installed free) and I am VERY pleased with it so far. I probably would have bought the Trojan if the front strap was checkered instead of that wierd stippling, which I see no advantage to.

I just bought a 9mm Spartan from Dawson (with DP .185 x .100 FO front sight, installed free, and DP ICE no-gap magwell, 1/2 price and installed free) and I am VERY pleased with it so far. I probably would have bought the Trojan if the front strap was checkered instead of that wierd stippling, which I see no advantage to.

Were you able to get both the free DP sight (or just free install) AND the 1/2 off magwell? I thought you had to choose. That definitely makes it more enticing.

Edited by jtaliani

That would indeed make it very enticing. Shipping from Dawsons is about $35? But the sight is $43 including delivery and the buyer wouldn't have to deal with the install if done at DP. But if that magwell was half off, too, well, it's a total no brainer. Rereading the post it appears he chose the 1/2 off magwell but purchased the sight and Dawson installed it for free. My 9mm 1911 future buying friend eagerly awaits my copy/paste from your reply!

Edited by kreativecid

The deal was your choice of a Dawson FO front sight free or 1/2 off the ICE magwell. I chose the magwell, as it was a slightly better deal, but then I also paid $39 for a Dawson FO front, which they installed at no extra charge. Shipping was $25. The combination of the .100 wide Dawson FO front sight with the stock LPA rear sight is outstanding, near perfect IMHO.

Edited by fred5876r

You just pushed my friend over the edge. He's calling Dawson tomorrow for the Spartan but he's choosing the f/o option in .100.

The deal was your choice of a Dawson FO front sight free or 1/2 off the ICE magwell. I chose the magwell, as it was a slightly better deal, but then I also paid $39 for a Dawson FO front, which they installed at no extra charge. Shipping was $25. The combination of the .100 wide Dawson FO front sight with the stock LPA rear sight is outstanding, near perfect IMHO.

I'd recommend the STI, I've had a few kimbers and liked them but I prefer the STI over the Kimber. When I was looking for my 1911 in 9mm I landed on the STI Sentry from the factory but if I were to do it over again, I would have gotten the Trojan from Brazos.

I have both a kimber team match and an sti spartan and I would have to say I prefer the Spartan. Not because it shoots better, but because I found a deal on the kimber because it was originally chambered in .38 super and I sent it to kimber to have them convert it to 9mm. To make a long story short, FOUR MONTHS, SIX PHONE CALLS, AND A HEATED DISCUSSION WITH THE MANAGER I finally got back the pistol they told me would take 2-3 weeks. I will never buy another Kimber new, and will only buy a used one if I get a great deal on it.

In my opinion, I would buy the spartan and have someone like brazos or Dawson do a little upgrading to the $1k price

In my opinion, I would buy the spartan and have someone like brazos or Dawson do a little upgrading to the $1k price

In addition to the Dawson FO front sight and ICE magwell, I sent my frame to Freedom Gunworks for an extended mag release, a undercut trigger guard, and their Atranite finish on the frame. I sent the slide to Plate-Tacular for a satin Cobalt plate job. I don't care about the "bald" front strap, as I will use Pachmayr Signature grips, which have a very sharp, grippy checkered surface wrapping around the front strap - a lot less expensive than a custom checkering job. Granted my total investment will be up in Trojan territory, but I am confident I will be happier with the finished product.

Trojan.... Mine shoots 1.5" groups off hand at 25 yards with zero 125gr. JHP's. Runs flawless with Wilson 10 round mags. Just had my gunsmith fit the Trojan top end with a wide body 2011 frame I had laying around, was able to do it without touching the slide rails, so it goes back and forth from frame to frame, Trojan to Eagle, with no parts change... SWEET!

Doug

Trojan.... Mine shoots 1.5" groups off hand at 25 yards with zero 125gr. JHP's. Runs flawless with Wilson 10 round mags. Just had my gunsmith fit the Trojan top end with a wide body 2011 frame I had laying around, was able to do it without touching the slide rails, so it goes back and forth from frame to frame, Trojan to Eagle, with no parts change... SWEET!

Doug

What length are you running those JHP's at? I've been working on getting the MG 124 JHP's to run out of my Spartan and think I may have finally stumbled across something that works!

• 2 weeks later...

Smith & Wesson Pro Series 9mm.

Nope, had one 9mm Pro already, and a M&P .40, not a fan of M&P's anymore....

I think 1911's are the only pistol I shoot well at distance.

I think he meant this Smith & wesson 1911 9 pro:

178017_01_md.jpg

Edited by DocMedic

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the Springfield Loaded Target (Stainless). I has a ramped barrel and only costs a little more than the Spartan.

That is what I was going to suggest. I have one - dropped it off at Clark's Custom Guns about a month ago and had it bead blasted and the front strap checkered at 25 LPI. I am very happy with it.

DSC_00395.JPG

That gun is HUGE! How do you fit it in a holster?! ;)

I went through the same decision making process myself not too long ago. Narrowed choices to the Spartan or Trojan. I decided I wanted a ramped barel. Decision was easy after that.

I've heard too many complaints about Kimbers customer service to go down that road. I have no first hand experience with Kimbers CS but I do with STI and it is top notch.

You need to find people that have one the brands your looking for and see if you can shoot a mag thru them. People at the ranges I go to would be happy to let you run a mag in their gun. Take so factory ammo and offer to use it.

I have owned a 9mm Kimber CST. Never had any real issues except the occasional slide lock nose dive. I just don't care for ramped 9mm barrels. My Spartan feeds everything I throw at it with any mag.

I have never had any issues with Kimber's service dept. I have owned 10+ Kimbers. All were extremely accurate.