Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Point Series

dpeters8445

Regarding the point series. What happens when you start out the series for your first few matches say in B class, but though the season you move up to A class? I figure you probably get thrown in the higher class for the entire point series, but I just wanted to make sure.

Congrats to Chris Tilley, by the way. 2003 Open Point Series Champion

and to Phil Strader - Limited and Matt Mink - Production

oh yeah, Jeff Gambrell - Limited 10

C/O Front Sight.

That sucks Jeff. You kicked ass in L10. You should've gotten more credit for your total domination last year.

Congrats to all of the class winners, as well.

Down and disgruntled,

Phil Strader

Yeah, I noticed that too. Hardly a mention of Jeff and he took the points thing pretty seriously, like Phil said kicked ass (mine included).

How can we have photos of the guy who came in 4th "B" production, senior, foreign, Military while shooting minor with a revolver and no picture of the guy who ran away with L-10 division??

I'm just happy I got mentioned and got some quotes. That's actually more than I hoped for after the Factory Gun 2003 glaring omissions. A pic would have been nice, but since they have never bothered to take one of me, I wasn't holding my breath. Oh well, a little press is better than no press, eh Phil?

Oh yeah, has anybody got their checks yet?

LOL......providing pics!

The miles rolled up on my new truck last year chasing the point serie matches. Partner in crime, Tommy T., witnessed this in just a short few weeks when we logged over 5,000 miles chasing matches. Wonder if I provided a odom pic..I think it even shows the spedo at 89+...aw never mind!

Matt,

I talked to Staci at the (USPSA) office the other day and she said that they were waiting to get the plaques. Once they had them, they would send them out with the checks ASAP. She said they were waiting for a logo or design or something for the plaques.

Regards,

Todd

I'm not as concerned for my mentions in the magazine. It just seems that the point series race could be better promoted and documented. This thing could really take off, but it seems that none of the powers that be want to make it successful. BTW, I'm just going by what I've been told about the article. I haven't even received my issue yet!

Phil

You are right, it could be better promoted. Matter of fact, you have to dig pretty deep in USPSA.org just to find out who the winners were in 2003. I don't understand that. It seems that if they wanted more or better involvement, it would be a little more visible.

Oh, and thanks Todd for the info. I didn't know about the plaques.

There are several ways to get a slot. Shoot a slot match, which your section can provide, place well at certain matches such as Area championships, be a returning champion of some sort or another from the previous Nat, beg a discretionary slot from your section coordinator (and maybe the Area director also), or just get on the wait list and get one of the extra slot.

Most of the time there is a way to get a slot. ;)

Gotta admit that I was hoping to get some of my travel adventures into the article! We dedicated a hell of a lot of time and effort to make it to PS matches...Phil, Todd, and Mike spent a lot time doing the same and I'm sure that they have stories to be told. This sport is a sickness! It eats away any common sense that a person may have and replaces it with a deep burning desire to punch holes in targets and knock down steel...uhg! The voices in my head tell me to shoot faster and move faster!!!!

Sterling,

IT'S GOING TO BE OK.....

Hey, I got my plaque and big fat check for the point series yesterday. Did anybody else get theirs? The only problem is that the plaque says "2004 Point Series National Champion". Maybe it's prophetic. :D

The biggest flaw that I see in the Pionts Series is the availability of "Other" Matches. Most people can get a Nationals slot (if they really want to) and make two Area matches, and State Sectionals are a dime a dozen, but "Other" Matches are about as scarce as Venuzuelan snow. Let's see, we have a whopping THREE... COUNTRY-WIDE. There's the Florida Open, Missouri Fall Classic, and one in California (Heritage something-or-other I think). Anyway, I've gotta shoot two of these things, and I already missed one. Somebody better fix this quick, as most matches are already announced, and I might be outta the PS before it even starts, as I can't be flyin' all over the darn country to chase that elusive 9'th match to insure I get my best results (My wife tells me I have a family-go figure). Heck, I don't even have a cushion if I blow one, as there isn't even a replacement match. USPSA only allows one "Other" Match per Area as it is, and that is far too few, as the average area has at least 4-5 Sectionals. This has gotta get fixed if PS is to take-off. Thoughts anyone???

Jeff

In my opinion - if the point series is going to have teeth (which I am a HUGE advocate of) then the point series champion must shoot nationals, and whoever has the most points in the end - is the national champion. In other words - nationals is just a "major" that is worth a lot of points. The winner of nationals won't necessarily win the national title.

Extreme I know - but that is what I believe will bring credibility to the series.

It'd make things interesting!

JB

The biggest flaw that I see in the Pionts Series is the availability of "Other" Matches.  Most people can get a Nationals slot (if they really want to) and make two Area matches, and State Sectionals are a dime a dozen,

For me, it's the state / section match that mainly keeps me out. The nearest state line is 250 miles as the crow flies..

Only 7 people in all divisions had all 9 matches entered. I hope more people get involved but that is alot of matches. I would think you would see twice as many people enter if it were less. I was really thinking about giving it a try this year but I will not be able to do 8 majors plus the Nat's.