Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What choke tube?

texasag93

Ok, my club is gonna have a shotgun side match next month. My question is what choke tube do I want to use for an all steel shotgun stage. I would think full but I have never shot anything but pistol in IPSC. Thanks in advance for info. TXAG

TXAG, imp cyl and mod will cover 90%+ of the three gun stuff, I used my full tube only 1 time and feel that was a mistake. A lot of people use too much choke and shot sizes that are too large. I use 6s, 71/2s and if a stage has only clays I might use 9s. If I think I need more I go to #4 buck. Of course stages that require slugs and 00 stand on their own, but I still use the open tubes. But sure as the dickens as soon as I leave it at home I will wish I had a full tube. Larry

I will be desiging the stage and ranges will be less than 25 yds. I will probably use a modified choke. I dont really even have a 3 gun shotgun. We are just getting into shotgun at our club. The public range officer has been hesitant to allow shotguns on the range in the past. It will be a new experience for many of us. I hopefully will be getting into 3-gun soon! :D Thanks, TXAG

TXAG,

It all depends on the range, type of targets and shells used. The heavier the shell e.g 1 1/4oz the better range you will get to knock over distant steel if you prefer a light choke. I used IMod for years and now have switched to Mod as standard and alternate between that and I/Cyl for close work and no penalty targets !!

Group your buck through the different chokes though - they differ greatly !

Mike

I will be using #6 and #4 for the most part now. A long shot in our bay will be 25yds. Being the match director and new to shotgun stages(same for most of rest of shooters) I am gonna stick to basics for now. I am gonna try the mod. choke for now. thanks for the advice guys. TXAG

It is not so important what choke or ammo you use as long as you know what the pattern will be at a given distance.

I'm with SS, I like 7 1/2's AA Superhandicap target loads. Just know what the pattern is at 10, 15, 20, 25 & 30 yds.

Improved Cylinder, Improved Modified, or Modified are the best choices. I mostly use Mod, but ocassionally switch to IC if the stage is all up close, or mostly clays. 2.75 Dram, 1.125 Oz 71/2's are the shotshell for me. Light loads take heavy and far away steel down fine with a Modified choke. If it's allowed, Tac Buck really takes down the steel (but it really blows on the clays).

--

Regards

Nobody has mentioned this, for close hoser clay birds, I find a skeet choke very useful. This works good on close steel also. IC is good for steel to about 15 yds, any furthur, MOD. This all is highly dependent on the size and weight of the targets. At the 3-gun in Vegas in 2001, they had shotgun blades made out of bull-dozer treads at a fair distance, some people hit them 5 times and couldn't move them. 1-1/4 oz of #5 through a MOD did the job. I've also seen light 6" or 8" plates set at 20 yds seem bulletproof simply because the pattern was too open to get much lead on them.

Texasag93. I am also A&M '93! Send me a PM, I'd love to come out and play with some more ags!

Back on topic...Win AA LIGHT target load 7 1/2 with 18 in barrel (Benelli M1) and IC works well for anything inside of 25 yards. If you are careful, you can still knock down steel out to about 35 yards or so. The advantage to IC is that you don't have to change it out for slugs as you would (at least HIGHLY recommended) with a modified. Don't even try slugs with a full choke! Well, unless you want a new barrel...

I will pattern my gun with IC and Mod chokes at several distances and see how it does. I am shooting a Stoeger 2000 with 26" barrel. Not exactly a good three gun shotgun but will have to do for now. We are jsut getting started in shotgun stages and most of us are new to it. Gonna take it slow and see how things go. Thanks for the info guys. TXAG