Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

D.I.Y. IPSC/USPSA Target stands?

JayTray

Im sure the McGyvers in the group have some great ideas on how to make your own portable stands to take to range.

I tried the SEARCH function... too broad of a topic.

Any known links or suggestions?

Thanks!

JT

looks easy enough to try. My guess is they would hold up fine until the first time they're hit

LOL Right! Til they get hit. But its handy that the PVC is "NO SHOOT WHITE" in color.

;-)

Thanks for the reply

you could just use self-tApping sheet metal screws to assemble that. if you shoot a piece, or it breaks you cold just disassemble the bad part by undoing the screws.

me? I went with wood 2X6's. I can"t remember all the dimensions off the top of my head...

there are a total of 6 pieces that make up the base. they are assembled, all on edge, to look like the letter "I" .

The middle vertical portion of the "I" is actually a sandwich. the two "bread pieces" are 18" long which is the width of the USPSA/IDPA targets. the middle of this sandwich is just two blocks of 2X6 cut to 1 5/8" long.

Each block is screwed just about 3/4" to an inch in from the end of one of the 18" long boards. then you screw the remaining 18 inch board on top of that.

the horizontal top and bottom of the "I" are also 2X6's on edge.

I am trying to do the math here....where you maximize what you can get out of an 8 foot or 10 foot long board.

I am thinking with two 10 foot long boards you could make 3 target stands You can probably just cut everything 18" long. everything is screwed together with 3 inch long dry wall screws.

the two smaller blocks create a pocket where you insert your one by two furring strips uprights which you staple your target to.

yeah...yeah...I was tempted to use blocks in the middle across their 1.5" dimension but the furring strips are beefier than that. it was frustrating getting them in and out of the pockets.

Get a 5 ft piece of 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameter PVC and 2 T's.

Per L & R side, cut two 1' pieces and one 6" piece. Put two 1' and one 6" together...see attached.

Now just put target sticks in each side (in the 6" tube). They will fall over until you put 3 staples in the target to hold them up. Easy for transportation, light, and store easily. If wind tips them over, use a rock or sand bag across legs.

I took a torch and heated up the 6" piece to sort of flatten it up a little to make the stick go in easier.

post-15700-089491800 1296238172_thumb.gi

Get a 5 ft piece of 1 1/2 or 2 inch diameter PVC and 2 T's.

Per L & R side, cut two 1' pieces and one 6" piece. Put two 1' and one 6" together...see attached.

Now just put target sticks in each side (in the 6" tube). They will fall over until you put 3 staples in the target to hold them up. Easy for transportation, light, and store easily. If wind tips them over, use a rock or sand bag across legs.

I took a torch and heated up the 6" piece to sort of flatten it up a little to make the stick go in easier.

Good stuff!

Thank you!

As G-man mentioned... I offer a steel stand for $20. Just saying....

Definately. Im just concerned on portability/weight. However PVC+wind=PIA

How much is S&H?

Thanks Seth

Seth's aluminum stands are super light...under 2 pounds! They also take up very little space because they stack flat. The trunk of my work car is full of gear and guns, and I still have room for a couple of his stands.

http://www.freedomgunworks.com/target-stands/orm-fabworks/-x-target-stand-by-orm-fabworks/prod_680.html

As G-man mentioned... I offer a steel stand for $20. Just saying....

Definately. Im just concerned on portability/weight. However PVC+wind=PIA

How much is S&H?

Thanks Seth

5 of the steel stands are 37#. They have a collapsed footprint of 21x1.5" and are 5.5" tall. Expanded they're roughly 21"x18" square. In steel they are extremely stable. I do drill for turf stakes.

http://www.brianenos...howtopic=117551

• 2 weeks later...

I went the PVC route and made a BUNCH of stands (want to say 8 + the swinger on the parma site) for around $120. I don't see how you could shoot the stand unless you had poor stage design or were a HORRIBLE shot. Seems like you might hit the furring strips, but not the stand itself unless you made a really low target.

As for weight, the PVC stands are very lightweight and portable depending on which pieces you choose to glue together. I drilled 2 holes on opposite corners of the stand and can drive 60D spikes through them and into the ground. Works perfectly for windy days. Even with a steel tubing stand, that will be necessary since USPSA stands seem to act like sails.

My next target is going to be a clay pigeon texas star. Working up my own plans on that, though. Have to keep it light so the clays have enough weight to make it actually spin.

I might do a little write-up when I make it for everyone on the forum.

My next target is going to be a clay pigeon texas star. Working up my own plans on that, though. Have to keep it light so the clays have enough weight to make it actually spin.

I'd like to see some pics when you get it done...sounds interesting. But would clay pigeons be legal in a USPSA match?

Note: you can use #64 rubber bands to hold them on...bag of rubber bands are fairly inexpensive. Shoot them and use another.

Edited by Mark R

I just let Seth do the work for me :P . I've got a couple of his Xstands in my living room for some dryfire targets. when the wind picks up on the range, they need a stake or two, but they are terrific thus far.

I'd like to see some pics when you get it done...sounds interesting. But would clay pigeons be legal in a USPSA match?

Note: you can use #64 rubber bands to hold them on...bag of rubber bands are fairly inexpensive. Shoot them and use another.

No, probably not, this would be just for practice. High vis yet small size of pigeons would probably do well in getting any shooter ready for a real star.

I had my son make 10 stands out of PVC and used lathe to hold the ipsc targets. Drilled a hole through the front and back of the stands to anchor them with large nails in case of high winds. They work great and have been shot by anyone. In fact, I have given 5 of them away when at the range for others to copy and they like them also. PVC is great, cheap, and light weight.

• 2 weeks later...