Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hogdon Clays Sucks!

jef

Back in '97 when Clays was new and original, I thought it might be worth considering for 45ACP loads. Boy was I wrong! The stuff meters like crap and I suffered a squib load during a match at a Jackson Hole Gun Club as a result. It is just too coarse for throwers of pistol caliber, one would be better off leaving it to shotgun reloaders where powder throwers have much more volume and therefore a lot more forgiveness. If it goes pop, you stop!

Any chance the Squib was a reloading error?

True it doesn't meter all that well, yet once it's dialed in the velocities are reasonably consistant (though admittedly nothing like the Vita powders).

I go through more Clays than any other powder. One must use caution when using it.

This is kind of fun, I'm trying to decide which I like best. Clays is a flufy powder and fills the case enough on a 45 so it's easy to see while you are loading. Tite Group on the other hand is so dense it's hard to see in the case on the shell plate while loading. This could make double charging somewhat of a danger. I think Clays has a very narrow margin of usefulness, too hot really when loading to the old major loads, but just about perfect for the new major. I tried some reduced bullseye loads and they didn't work well, so gave up on that pretty quick, almost as quick as I gave up on bullseye shooting. Alliant's Bullseye is still King of reduced loads. My 45 seems to shoot the Tite Group into smaller groups at PF 165 and I have four pounds to go through so I'll give it a good trial run. Both seem to meter well in my Dillon powder measure. It could be static electricity if you have a problem. Try wiping the inside of your powder measure with a fabric softener sheet.

I just tried Clays for the first time the other day and no, I didn't just fall off the cabbage truck.

:P

I ran out of Titegroup and got my hands on a 14oz can of Clays to try for minor .40 (production). It seems to be giving some fairly consistent velocities and is cleaner than TG. I'm not crazy about the accuracy results though; a 5" (off hand, not benchrest) group at 25 yds is nothing to write home about and less than optimal. I would have to a agree that overall, TG is a better powder though, and it is indeed far more versatile and useful.

Clays is about the softest and cleanist 45 powder out there, softer and cleaner than Tightgroup, it is also dirt cheap.

I have never had a metering problem with it in my 650 although my standard deviations are a bit high at 12-14, and it is not as accurate as 320 with my 200gr and 230 gr major loads.

I still use it for 45 and reserve the 320 for my 40.

I switched from Tite Group to Clays a year ago and never looked back!! TG is absoutly filthy if you download it all. Using 2oogr SWC with 4.7 gr it left soot and crud in my gun something terrible.

For me Clays meters JUST FINE, 4 gr over a 230 gr Monana gold TMJ makes major and its soft and off a rest accurate as hell out of my Wilsons. I have about 8 pounds on hand and 4K loaded up to get a start on this years IDPA and maybe some Limited 10. My gun seems to never get dirty either.

I weigh a charge about every 150-200 rounds and its never off over half a 10th (.05 gr) by my scales and I use a RCBS 10-10 and a 510 alternating to double check.

I do use the dryer sheet method and have grounded my reloader to the house ground to help with pesky static cling as well.

While the gripe was about Clays in .45, it does seem fairly popular in .40. I remember that it was THE hot ticket a few years ago, before Viht and Titegroup came around.

I use N320 for Limited .40 at ~170 PF, in Production .40 at ~150 PF. I use Clays for GSSF in my G23 at 135 PF. N320 is more accurate, which is why I use it in IPSC. But in GSSF I don't have to hit anything smaller than an 8" circle at 20 yds.

I have never had any problems with loading Clays for my .45 IPSC major load.

While it's true that it doesn't meter as well on my Dillon as Titegroup or N320(use for 9mm and .40). But I have never had a problem making 170ph major with it.

As others have said, I find Clays to be one of the softest and cleanest powder for the .45acp.

Have burned over 10 lbs of plain Clays in .45; all of it above the 165 PF and all loaded on an XL 650; though Brian used it in .40; Clays was just as trouble free for me in .45 and I will not hesitate to use it again of I ever switch back to .45 Remember that many of the problems with Clays & .40 came at the OLD PF of 175. To keep pressures down with any Clays load, I would not leave loaded rounds laying in the hot sun during summer; but, then again, would that be a wise idea with any Major load?