Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My new 3 gun vest...

Here's my new 3 Gun Vest made by Coyote Tactical to my specifications.

It may be over kill for most matches, but if you're going to be a tube-fed Ironman Trooper its probably just enough.

CSV-1.jpg

CSV-2.jpg

Its purpose built for carrying the California Comp Works carriers. The CCW carriers are the UM84 style; there is a 2.75" section of rigid nylon underneath for them to attach to. They are easily removable if I'm not using a shotgun. The vest has two duty keepers that tie into my pants belt and duty belt the prevent it from riding up when ripping out the shells.

The AR mag pouches are kydex lined to retain the mags. They work with PMAGs or USGI.

The mag carriers and shell carriers are offset to the right because I am left handed (reload with right hand)

The left side of the vest has a removable pouch for first aid supplies.

You almost look ready for the MGM Ironman match.

This is what ready looks like:

loadout-2.jpg

... I've been on a lot of foot patrols trough both in Iraq and Afghanistan, so I'm qualified to say this. Man thats heavy!

Edited by DocMedic

It actually occurs to me that "how much is enough" is a pretty complicated topic. With matches like the MGM Iron Man, it's almost impossible to have too much. But since there are no real standard courses for local and regional matches, I can see where it would be easy to end up with too much or not enough for any given match. It almost seems as if you have to go to the match with a bunch of stuff and be prepared to either carry it all the time or can you reconfigure for each stage?

Is there such a thing as an average stage to plan for? The more I think about this, the more practical that check rig starts to look.

My general rule is to carry 50% more ammo than the stage actually requires. If I miss a lot, mags fall out, one of the mags decides its time to die in the middle of the stage, I'm never going to run out of ammo.

I also don't like reconfiguring my gear for different stages; I like it all to be in the same place all the time. The exception to this is if its just a pistol stage or low round count rifle stage I might take the vest off; I have a spare AR mag on my belt too. I had the shot shell carriers made removable so when I shoot Rifle/Pistol matches I can take them off and not worry about the extra weight and height when shooting prone. If I'm shooting 3 gun, I just leave them on though.

After all the guff you gave me about shooting a "Fudd" gun at Ironman two years ago the fact that you will be carrying one for the entire match warms my heart. I hope that you don't need to get it out of your pack.

I hope that you don't need to get it out of your pack.

If I don't bring it, the range demons will punish me for my insolence and my Saiga will fail in some new and exciting way. I've heard of AK bolt carriers coming off the rails and hitting the user in the face. I'm expecting something like that to happen.

It actually occurs to me that "how much is enough" is a pretty complicated topic. With matches like the MGM Iron Man, it's almost impossible to have too much. But since there are no real standard courses for local and regional matches, I can see where it would be easy to end up with too much or not enough for any given match. It almost seems as if you have to go to the match with a bunch of stuff and be prepared to either carry it all the time or can you reconfigure for each stage?

Is there such a thing as an average stage to plan for? The more I think about this, the more practical that check rig starts to look.

A wise man once told me "The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming" :ph34r:

You stated about 50% more ammo then required and couple extra mags, can I ask what your layout is that your expecting to bring for MGM Ironman?

I'll get some pics. My primary is still going to be my Saiga. That vest will sit in my pack most of the time (hopefully).

SinistralRifleman always the innovator! It might even make me look slimmer.

Keep us updated with how this works out this year.

Trying out new stuff and refining ideas relative to equipment is half the fun of this stuff to me. Shooting matches provides a rapid feedback cycle of how well something worked not found anywhere else in shooting really.

So far its working well. I've shot 5 club level matches with it already.

Don't you need way more caddys for ironman? Also, how are you gonna feed a Saiga with caddys?

I have a different vest for Saiga mags. My Kifaru EMR hold 120 pounds worth of stuff easily. This vest will sit in the pack until my Saiga explodes.

I have space to add one more shell carrier to that vest if necessary. 10 in the gun + 9 in side saddle + 24 on vest = 43 shells. The round count at Ironman is not what it once was, and there's also a lot of places to stage ammo on the course on tables more than there used to be.

• 3 weeks later...

A wise man once told me "The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming" :ph34r:

Thats funny, "The only time you can have too much ammo is when you're swimming"