Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Stock .40 cal 10 rnd Mags

AGlock36

I am new shooter when it comes to IPSC and I have 4 10rnd .40 cal stock mags from Para. I want to shoot a match soon but am getting worried about all the bad posts I see about the stock base pads for the mags. Is this something I should be worried about. I will be shooting at a concrete floored range. I was hoping to get at least a year use out of these mags before I upgraded the base pads. Please let me know what you think. Can I use them for now or will they break on the first drop. Thanks.

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

if you shoot only a few 100 rds in that year, you'll be fine. I would guess that the mag bottoms tolerate about 20-50 drops on concrete before they break. Of course, your mileage may vary... Get the Dawson replacements, they're not that expensive...

Hi Paul -

Parts are going to break - nothing you can do about that. I would certainly shoot the mags and matches to get some experience under your belt. If I was in your shoes, I would (as $ allows) slowly add a few highcap mags. You can always download the mags to 10 rounds for Limited 10 and as you get a few highcaps, it will let you play in Limited too.

Zach

Thank you to both of you. I figured that I could get through around 4 or 5 matches and a few practice live fire drills with them. Thought about doing the grams package for each but will see. Thanks again.

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

Zach, FYI you will have mail. :D

Don't worry about the 10 round bases. I had a couple of 10 round mags for my p-14 that I always started with when I was going to reload in less than 10 rounds. They got dropped many hundreds of times over the years that I shot that gun. They are beat up, and you can see where they will eventually fail, but they have not let me down yet.

:mellow: I started one of those stock 10rnd. Para mag. threads from reading other negitive threads. I have been shooting these mags for 2 or 3 months, once or twice a week at the local IPSC club :) and have droped, stepped on(and I am not a lite guy), kicked and any other thing you can do to a mag. during a match...no problems with them yet...although I can see there week points.

also, Detlef I have looked on DP for the stronger base pads and can't find them, can U hold my hand and show me where to find them thanks.

Ok thank you again everyone. I just wanted to make sure that I was not going to go out there for my first match and do a mag chance just too shoot my mag spring into the croud. LOL. Hmmmmmmm would I DQ'd for that. Ha ha ha ha.

Thanks again

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

Paul,

I'm not sure that it's cost effective to tune 10 rounders, or that Grams Engineering has a spring and follower kit for them. Beven's stuff is mostly hicap oriented, though he might tell you different from my understanding. But if you are going hicap anyway, save your money for the 21 rounders. Tube tuning, plating, putting in of witness holes, Grams basepads and spring/follower kits add up in a hurry, but are worth it if you want a 100% reliable Para hicap using the standard tube configuration.

Kevin,

Will do. Thank you very much for the info. I think I will just stick with what I have till it breaks. Then worry about some new ones. Going to get 2 highcaps from Para that came with the gun but other than that will just wait. Thanks to everyone.

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

I am new shooter when it comes to IPSC and I have 4 10rnd .40 cal stock mags from Para. I want to shoot a match soon but am getting worried about all the bad posts I see about the stock base pads for the mags. Is this something I should be worried about. I will be shooting at a concrete floored range. I was hoping to get at least a year use out of these mags before I upgraded the base pads. Please let me know what you think. Can I use them for now or will they break on the first drop. Thanks.

Happy Shooting

Paul Franklin

I have eight of those expensive little suckers for the 1640 (about $50/each). If I was going to drop them on the hard floor, I'd put some double-sticky foam tape on the bottom or use some of the rubber weather stripping tape for sealing windows. It's cheap at Home Depot and it comes right off when you are done shooting. I would sure want something soft between that hard plastic and the concrete when it hit.

my p18 10-rd factory 'floor plate retainers" all broke w/i 20-50 drops on concrete. the littlelittlelittle plastic notch in front is the first thing wearing out, then the mags won't drop free any more. Next thing is they shear off competely, rendering the retainer and mag unuseable. Indeed, no problems expected on soft floors or outside.

The dawson part no is 029-001 (not on their web site, don't ask me why...). They are currently out but will make them again soon.

--Detlef