Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Consider A "Hoser" Stage?

TriggerT

I have seen on this forum several times, peoples opinions about "Hoser" stages. It seems to me most of us are agreed that a few of these type of stages in a match can be fun, but to many is not good.

My questions is this, "What do you define as a hoser stage?"

As I was practicing yesterday at 15 yards, I began to think that some people might consider that distace a hoser range. I personally think of a stage were ALL of the targets are closer than say 10 yards, and are open shots, a hoser stage. Please share your thoughts with the rest of us. ;)

TriggerT,

For a stage to qualifiy as a "Hoser Stage", I think the most essential criteria is that there are no Penalty Targets, and the secondary criteria is that Scoring Targets are not further than 10 metres away.

However the real key is the lack of Penalty Targets so that if you "spray & pray", wayward shots cost you a Miss at most, not a Miss and a Penalty Target. Actually I quite enjoy "Hoser Stages" now and then, but I think they should not represent more than 5 or 10% of the total available match points.

Vince,

I would agree 100%. The more I thought about it after I startedthis post, the more I though that a 10 yard, head only, with no shoots array would not qualify as a "Hoser" set up.

As for me, one sure sign that the targets are at hoser range is when my .45 blows off half the pasters. :D

THose penalty targets are there because the stage designer was lazy and is using them as vision barriers.

To me a hoser stage (or match) is any stage (match) that can be won with no sights on the gun. Or any stage that Limited guns are beating open guns (given equal skill levels...obviously if TGO is shooting Limited against an A open, TGO will win :D )

Any match where Limited guns win overall, is a hoser match, the stages were too easy.

- It might be a hoser stage, if you do not need a sight picture to get all A's.

- It might be a hoser stage, if you do not notice that one of your sights fell off until unload and show clear.

- It might be a hoser stage, if you have "snake eyes" pairs of almost touching holes on all of the targets.

- It might be a hoser stage, if the all the A zones are shot out but the B C & D zones have no pasters on them.

(My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

- It might be a hoser stage, if you do not need a sight picture to get all A's.

- It might be a hoser stage, if you do not notice that one of your sights fell off until unload and show clear.

- It might be a hoser stage, if you have "snake eyes" pairs of almost touching holes on all of the targets.

- It might be a hoser stage, if the all the A zones are shot out but the B C & D zones have no pasters on them.

(My apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

- It might be a hoser stage, if there are burn marks on the targets.

When I think 'hoser' stage I don't specifically think standing and shooting. Nor do I think of all wide open targets. The 'at arms length' part is what I think of, which to me means more of a close field course where the fault lines go right up to the targets. Like the popular behind a barricade that you run up to.

I think for a hoser stage to be really fun the shooter should have the option to shoot from a distance or sprint up to the fault line.

I define a hoser stage as close enough to point shoot everything.

As far as no-shoots that don't really come into play as penalty targets, I sometimes use them as an aid to keep shooters from breaking the 180 on a field course. Kind of like "when you see the no-shoot, you've gone too far".