Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

minor injury and passing out

js82

Anybody ever get a cut from their pistol? I just got my first significant one today when I accidentally touched the inside of the slide with my pinky while the gun was locked open. It worked like a mouse trap - the slide released at the slightest contact of my pinky. I wasn't even handling the gun. I was doing something else on the bench when I accidentally moved my pinky into the open slide. Funny thing is it actually didn't hurt even though it pretty much skinned my pinky. And it was pretty hard to pull the slide open to get my pinky out with only one hand.

After I washed my pinky up and started putting some hydrogen peroxide and iodine on it I felt faint and was at the edge of blacking out until I lied down. Anybody know why I would pass out when I wasn't even panicking and I was fine for 5 minutes before that?

Lesson learned though - don't leave the slide open on the bench!

I gashed my thumb open pretty bad this summer. I bled like a stuck pig for about 5 minutes but didn't feel faint until I ran some water over the cut to clean it. Though it was the sight of my own blood that did it.

Are you queasy at all?

One time I was cleaning an M1 rifle (no, not a thumb story), had it upside down on a stand, out of stock, but spring in place. It slipped, and when I caught it, the bolt closed on my forefinger. Yelled, made up new words, the wife came out to the garage to be sure I was all right. No queasyness, I KNEW what happened. Took a year for the fingernail to grow back.

Another time, I dozed off in front of the TV, woke up in the night, and went to bed. Tripped on something in the living room and fell, hands out front. Left hand ran across one of my wife's seashells, a clam that takes 2 hands to lift. I felt it cut me, but the lights were off and I did not IMMEDIATELY know the damage. Got a nice shot of adrenalin, went to kitchen and rinsed off, and saw the cut. Not bad, but as soon as I saw that it was NOT bad, the adrenalin quit or whatever, and sitting down on the kitchen floor was a good idea. Some stitches required.

For me, knowing vs not knowing made the difference.

Oh, and the inside of an 1100 receiver is no place to put fingers. BTDT, cleaned the bloodstain.

Lee

My vote is for queasyness. One of my old bosses was a colonel in the army, 6'5" tall, 285 lbs, strong as the proverbial ox, and gruff as a goat. He could get a paper cut and have to look the other way all the way to the bathroom to wash it. The sight of his own blood would make him pass out (picking up a 285lb dead weight is damn near impossible to!). The sight of other people's blood didn't bother him, just his.

It was a real fun time kidding him about it when he would nick himself working...... :roflol:

Here is a link to the medical cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_response

I have fainted 2 twice and I was not the injured one.....I have come uppn on accidents, which were quite graphic, with no issues as I did NOT know them. My 2 episodes occurred when my mother was on a respirator when I arrived at the hospital due to pneumonia (she fully recovered), I was in her room maybe 2 minutes before I fell out cold....

The 2nd was when my daughter had her tonsils removed and was coming out of the anesthesia and crying constantly....I was sitting next to her bed and could feel the lights going out....came to and found a multitude of doctors and nurses standing over me with a crash cart..........

These episodes occurred 10 yrs apart...my wife tells me its because I am part "fainting goat".... :roflol:

I have fainted 2 twice and I was not the injured one.....I have come uppn on accidents, which were quite graphic, with no issues as I did NOT know them. My 2 episodes occurred when my mother was on a respirator when I arrived at the hospital due to pneumonia (she fully recovered), I was in her room maybe 2 minutes before I fell out cold....

The 2nd was when my daughter had her tonsils removed and was coming out of the anesthesia and crying constantly....I was sitting next to her bed and could feel the lights going out....came to and found a multitude of doctors and nurses standing over me with a crash cart..........

These episodes occurred 10 yrs apart...my wife tells me its because I am part "fainting goat".... :roflol:

You do know the cause of the fainting goat phenom is inbreeding, right? :roflol:

I was setting up a swinger earlier this year and pinched my pinky really bad and when I yanked my finger out I noticed that the skin was peeled back quite a bit from the finger. It was pretty bloody but not a big deal, at least I didn't think so. I went over to my bag to pull out a wipe and I started to feel a little light headed. Next thing I know I'm on my back and my glasses are missing and I can't figure out how I got there. Oh, and my buddy is standing over me asking me if I'm messing with him. It was pretty damned funny once the wooziness wore off. I've been hurt a bunch in my life, seen a lot of my own blood and never had any problems until that moment. Guess I should have had my work gloves on huh?

You do know the cause of the fainting goat phenom is inbreeding, right? :roflol:

That is one of the nicer things she says about me :goof:

I guess I just don't have that gene....True story (and I have the scars to prove it!). In 1992, while at work, a large piece of metel grating got away from some co-workers and started to fall from a scaffold. I was on the ground, and tried to back up and away. Behind me was another piece of the grating which had just been removed. The grating had "horns" (small metal uprights used to hold cable in place, approximately 8" long, 3/8" thick, 1/2" wide) on it, pointing upright. In my haste to keep the grating from falling on me, I tripped as I was backing up, falling on the grating behind me, impaling myself on it. One of the "horns" went through my right butt cheek, the other through the back side of my thigh. I pulled myself up off of the grating, blood everywhere, and walked (yes I walked) to tell my boss. I then went home, which was 38 miles away, ON MY MOTORCYCLE! Once at home, hurting like hell, I went to take a leak, and nothing came out except blood...Now that scared me! I got back on my motorcycle and rode myself to the emergency room, where they immediately admitted me and took me to surgery. I woke up 5 hours later, with a bag glued to my side, tubes everywhere, and pretty much split down the middle. The "horn" that had punctured my right butt cheek had punctured my colon 4 times, continued on and punctured my bladder twice, and my lower intestine twice. It had barely missed the femoral artery by about 1/2". I was out of work for 3 months as I had a colostomy to deal with to let my innards heal.

Yes, I was much younger and much more stupid.... :blink:

But, no one messes with me at work....... :cheers:

Anybody ever get a cut from their pistol? I just got my first significant one today when I accidentally touched the inside of the slide with my pinky while the gun was locked open. It worked like a mouse trap - the slide released at the slightest contact of my pinky. I wasn't even handling the gun. I was doing something else on the bench when I accidentally moved my pinky into the open slide. Funny thing is it actually didn't hurt even though it pretty much skinned my pinky. And it was pretty hard to pull the slide open to get my pinky out with only one hand.

After I washed my pinky up and started putting some hydrogen peroxide and iodine on it I felt faint and was at the edge of blacking out until I lied down. Anybody know why I would pass out when I wasn't even panicking and I was fine for 5 minutes before that?

Lesson learned though - don't leave the slide open on the bench!

I have dealt with this my whole life ( I'm 40 now ). I refer to it as going into shock. The blood rushes out of my head, I get faint, sweaty, and if seated or standing, will pass out. The triggers could be as innocent as a paper cut to a buddy telling me how he broke a bone, or some gory mishap. I don't have to see blood for it to happen, you can simply tell a gory story and I will "go into shock". Thankfully I know all of the signs now, after much experience, so if someone is telling a particular nasty story, I'll tell them to stop, or if in a group setting, just walk away. I usually have to explain why later because I don't want to appear rude. But at 6'4" tall, and just north of 300 lbs, the alternative is me hitting the floor during their story! I've never been diagnosed, as I always took it to be a psychological response. Needless to say when I go to the doctor and get shots, or blood tests, I make sure to tell the attending my dilemma so they know there is nothing wrong with me, just a normal response to what they are doing. 9 times out of 10 the person knows exactly what I'm talking about, and makes me lay down when they are taking care of me, as this will prevent it from happening. The 1 out of 10 is the PITA situation. Reason why is they don't know what I'm saying and start freaking out and want to call a doctor in. I then have to calmly tell them to relax, I'll be fine as long as I lay down. Kind of ironic that I'm the one that has to put them at ease!

Anyway, point is, most likely it's just a natural reaction that you will not be able to avoid. At least that is the way for me. Just have to learn to deal with it.

Oh yeah, and don't stick your finger in an open slide! :D

http://en.wikipedia....ovagal_response

And yet, getting bashed in the family jewels with a large tree branch swung with tremendous force leaves you conscious.

Interesting...

Definitely have this problem!

Several times I've got hurt and had that 'almost' passed out feeling. Never had it bad when someone else gets hurt, but I've been fairly lucky in that I've not been around any real bad accidents.

Funny for me it seems the smaller the injury the more I tend to freak.

When I was a teen I was working at a fast food joint and we had just got a new knife. It was a produce chopping one that was roughly shaped like the knife from the movie 'Psycho' so I called it Norman. One night I was playing with Norman and just about cut the tip of my thumb off. Wasn't an issue till I held it under the water. Almost passed out that time.

When I was in the service I was laying on a creeper taking a clamp off of the bottom of an aircraft engine wire harness. The clamp and harness was moving so I cupped them in my hand and used the other to unscrew the clamp. I was using a #1 tip philips screw driver that was about 18inches long. Of course my hand slipped and bam I stuck the screw driver right through my hand! Pulled it out and didn't seem so bad. The people around me that saw it said I should go wash it out so off to the bathroom, under the sink and again I just barely don't pass out.

For the opposite I was working on a framing crew. Cutting trim for the lead man. Using a circular saw that I wasn't used to and the blade guard stuck up. Didn't realize it and ended up running the saw into my upper thigh. Huge cut. Took tons of stitches in and out. Never once had the passing out feeling...

Go figure!!!

And yet, getting bashed in the family jewels with a large tree branch swung with tremendous force leaves you conscious.

Interesting...

Apparently EXTREME pain is "not" a trigger for me or I might still be laying in the Mississippi gravel..... :blink: That was definitely in the Top 2 of my pain experiences, right behind the mag spring polishing episode.........

The only time I have almost passed out was after carpal tunnel surgery. They did a nerve block on my arm, and I couldn't feel a thing, thought this ain't so bad. Next morning, got up, dropped my arm to my side, and my knees went out. Holy @#$%, that hurts! I swear my eyes rolled up into my head!

The only time I ever passed out was when I got a piercing (in the top part of my ear). I was nervous going into it cause I though it would hurt. It didn't & I got worried for nothing...but 10 mins later, I'm walking around with my mom, I feel dizzy & my stomach is turning. Before I knew it I woke up face down on the floor. Soooo grateful not to have broken anything (nose, tooth) as I face-planted the tiled floor.

I can't figure out why it happened about 10 mins after the fact!

Anybody know why I would pass out when I wasn't even panicking and I was fine for 5 minutes before that?

It's due to a sudden drop in blood pressure. When there is a traumatic event or when you are apprehensive about something, you have an increased adrenaline flow and an increase in blood pressure as the blood vessels constrict, moving blood away from the extremities and into the heart, lungs, and brain. Once this is over and the body starts to relax, there can often be a sudden drop in blood pressure if the blood vessels over dilate.

Edited by Graham Smith

Anybody know why I would pass out when I wasn't even panicking and I was fine for 5 minutes before that?

It's due to a sudden drop in blood pressure. When there is a traumatic event or when you are apprehensive about something, you have an increased adrenaline flow and an increase in blood pressure as the blood vessels constrict, moving blood away from the extremities and into the heart, lungs, and brain. Once this is over and the body starts to relax, there can often be a sudden drop in blood pressure if the blood vessels over dilate.

Their you go clouding the thread with Facts.

Thanks for your stories. It sure is comforting to know it's pretty normal. I gotta say, some of your stories sound pretty nasty!

You know, that thing about blood pressure dropping after calming down makes a lot of sense. That's probably why there's that delay. Gotta try to not be calm then :lol:

Here is a good one for y'all

In the ER with my college roommate, getting him five stitches after he fillet his hand with a freshly sharpened cleaver. I turn to the EMT Student and said " I sure miss the adrenaline when doing calls in the field" (at the time, I was a firefighter for CDF). The next thing I know, I am lying in the next bed over with a concussion and two cracked ribs :rolleyes::roflol: .

As I passed out, I had bounced my ribs off of the steel bio-hazard can and my head off of the tile floor.

They were still laughing about it when I came back for MY ER time for EMT class :blink:

I was run over by a boat the summer between my Freshman and Sophomore years of high school. Shortly after school started kids would ask to see the scars. More than one time someone would either get a nose bleed or pass out.

I got hit by a car once while rollerblading when I was 12, smacked up along the side really, but it was going 40mph. I got up and got to the side of the street without even thinking about it. As soon as I was out of the road I collapsed and felt pretty damn close to passing out. Ironically I was completely uninjured except for some road rash and swelling in my foot that got ran over by one of the tires.