Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I newbie question about .22

I have been shooting pistols for about 2 years and love it. I do have a kimber .45 and a glock 17 in .40. As time has past i shoot my 22/45 more that i shoot the larger guns. The money that it would take for me to practice the way i do it would cost me a arm and a leg. For $7 i can shoot the ruger all day long. I just cant find a ispc match that i could enter that would allow me to shoot the gun i pratice with the most. It just might be that i am looking in the wrong places but i would think that this would be a great area to get more people into the sport. I do have a reloader but really dislike reloading but i could use it down the road is i realy like the sport. It just silly to me that the .22 is looked down on so much. You can go out and buy a s@w 41 for under $500 and have one of the best guns on the line. Most people i know own a .22 pistol and it would only take a little work to make it a racer and they dont need a reloader.

Some clubs do unofficial .22-IPSC matches, and most Steel Challenge-type matches have .22 divisions, but all the Practical-rooted sports (IPSC/IDPA/etc) require 9mm or larger pistols for practical manly reasons. <_<

I dont feel that the pratical reason will ever come into play in my life. I just like to shoot and the .22 allows me to do this. Last sunday i was at the range and some guys asked me wy i shoot that little .22 well i said "i am not that good to shoot the larger gun yet" They chuckled and walked back to their spot. Funny think was i could do 2 plate racks in the time it took them to do 1. Thats ok i have my own range and i am aslo building a plate rack that should be ready next week if i get some time this weekend. The price of steel has gone threw the roof!!

It's nice to be able to gauge your own skills against others.

Why not post some flyers inviting people to come shoot .22's at your range once a week? You don't have to be a member, or associated with any organization to do that. ;)

Hi,

Welcome to EnosvErse !

No matter what you are shooting, you can find a lot of valuable stuff here.

There's no need to look down on any kind of shooting sport.

People who think .22lr is 'beneath them" have probably never mastered shooting tight groups ;)

(Just yesterday night I tried some group shooting with a S&W 22S myself, although I am a very active IPSC shooter).

As explained by others, neither USPSA nor IPSC allow calibers smaller than 9mm, so you're out of luck with that if you insist on using your .22.

But have you considered practicing with .22lr and trying a small match here and there with your Glock ? There is nothing against that.

Although not optimal, you can still keep cost down, have fun and try "real" matches !

And one last thing :

.. and a glock 17 in .40.

Wouldn't that make it a G22 ?

Our club has allowed a shooter to compete with a .22 before. The score conts for nothing but they got the experience and had fun. Think finding 9 holes can be tough, try finding .22 holes in a well used IPSC target! :wacko: TXAG

NRA Action Pistol allows rimfire. In fact it's called Rimfire Action Pistol. We shoot it reqularly at our Club in Louisiana and I'm aware of others shooting it at AP clubs in Texas and Mississippi.

We shoot the complete Bianchi Cup courses and it's a hoot with a .22 ... and a challenge! Give it a try.

I think part of the reason there aren't lots of 22 action shooting sports has to do with 2 factors.

Action shooting has its roots in personal defence, LE, and military activity. 22s don't really make sense here.

Becuase of the above, there are not lots of guns made that would function well in the action shooting arena (ever tried to do a quick mag change on a Ruger MkII). More are coming on the market now (Walther P22, Kimber, Beretta, etc).

Our club is looking at doing IPSC like shoots that are all rimfire (rifle and pistol) for just the reasons you have laid out - great way to get new folks into the sport and it is cheap.

Good luck

My old home club had TONS of opportunities to shoot 22LR. If I were you, I'd just show up to an event and ask if you can play. Unless the first person you talk to is a jerkweed Tactibilly, the answer will almost certainly be, "yes, but not for prizes."

You would be surprized mag changes with the 22/45 not as fast as the real thing but if you practice its not that hard. I could see changing mags with a mkii being a problem. I have been to a ipsc match at my home range and talked to some of the people and they were really good guys. Gave me some tips but they said that they dont do a .22 shoot and told me to bring my glock to the next match. I just dont feel like i can handle that pistol good enufe.