Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI "new style" vs. Arredondo followers

Sharyn

I recently purchased and installed 4 STI "new style" followers in my .38 Super 140mm's. They didn't feel quite right but I figured running them in the gun would be the real test. First time used, they shot without problems... however, I didn't empty any of the mags while shooting.

After the match, I downloaded the mags. In two of them, the followers would not fully return to the top of the mag tube (you could slip a round in and it would just fall out). One of the mags was ok and the fourth... ugh! The follower got all tilted/goofed up about halfway in the mag. I shook the remaining rounds out like a salt shaker... ???

I took the mags to a friend and he looked a bit confused at the situation I had created (of course it's always my fault :P ). He swapped them out with some Arredondo one's (I think? They're blue) and those seem much more stable in the tubes. I haven't had a chance to run them yet, but they've loaded/unloaded well, they fully return without sticking and they don't rock around.

Does this make sense? Has anyone else experienced this? Do the STI followers need some sort of manipulation to work properly? Some fluffing and buffing, perhaps?

:blink:

I tried the STI followers - did not like them. Similar problems to what you describe.

I have switched all my followers/springs to the new Grams Engineering format and could not be happier. They all run 100% - STI or SV tubes.

I have been using the new style STI followers in three of my four 140mm mags for about 6 months and have had no trouble with them at all with rimmed 38S. I had to slightly file the front (mostly) and sides (just a little) to allow the follower to come all the way up but that only took a few minutes per mag. These three mags have been running cut down Wolff springs.

I use the Arredondo kits in my fourth 140 and my 170. No problem with these either and the Arredondo allows an additional round over the STI.

I suppose Arredondo is 'drop-in' (I hate that term) and the STI just needs a little fine tuning but both have worked 100% for me so far.

The new STI work ok for limited 10, or if you are not going to load the mags fully. I would go with the new Grams followers kits, they are much more reliable and can be set up to lock back or not, and will work for 38 or 40 cal in STI or SV mags. They will make marginal mags good and good mags excellent.

How'd ya get 24 in? Do they run reliably?

Welp, after reading about the 24 in 140mm... I tried it myself. :D I got 22 in with ease... but I only got 21 back out... :unsure:

1round.jpg

How do ya fix this situation? :wacko:

Brazos Custom, I received my Ultimate Ghost from you about a week ago. Thanks bunches!!! I'm shooting Open (complete newbie), these are STI tubes and springs and Dawson +2 basepads. Will the Grams kits resolve the issues I've mentioned/pictured above? I'm assuming you carry them, right?

Thanks everyone!

:D

Yea, Bob carries the new Grams springs/followers. The best thing about the new grams kit is that there is no way for the follower to twist, thus get into a situation as you have pictured.

M'kay... so if I swap out the follower/spring for a Grams kit and keep my Dawson +2's, could I get 22 reliably? I've already painted my Dawson's to match my gun... and they're awful purdy! :D

Thanks guys!

Sniper,

The Gram's followers should solve the problems with your mags. I don't recommend loading more than 21 in 140mm 38 super mags even with plus 2's. They will run 99% of the time but every once in a while you will have problems. 21 rounds stop at the bottom of the ribs when you load 22 you go past the rib. The round and follower have to ride up over the rib to get started up the tube and can stick sometimes. Better to stick with an ultra reliable 21 than to try to stick in a couple extra rounds. If you need more than 21 try loading 25 or less in your 170mm mags they will usually be very reliable when loaded down.

We do carry the Grams's Follower kits.

Hey, I've only been able to get 20 in my 140's... so 21 will be cool. I'm not greedy. :D Actually, 21 will be perfect... "20" is easier to keep track of and that still leaves one in the barrel! Oh happy day! :lol: Like you've suggested, I go to my 170 if I need/want more. I get 27, but 26 reliably in there. Thanks!!!

off to place another order... ;)

edited to add:

BTW, is anyone interested in 4 STI springs and 4 Arredondo .38 Super followers? Only used once... :lol:

order is in Mr. Londrigan. Thanks for your help!

i just learned why i might be getting 24 in my 140mm tube. appearently there are two different 140mm mag lengths according to a dawson catalog i was looking at yesterday.

there seems to be a pre-ban 140mm and a post-ban 140mm the post-ban acoording to the picture in the catalog is longer than the pre-ban.

has anyone else come across this?

Way back when, USPSA changed the mag-length measurement method, which suddenly allowed longer magazines to be legal. You can tell old STI mags by the extra witness holes in the side-- the new ones only have two.