Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon carbide 9mm die

My Dillon 9mm die has started to have a problem de-priming cases. It only dents out the primer on the first attempt some times (seems to be more and more lately). A second or third attempt usually drops the primer right out. The die is adjusted correctly, and sizes the case with no issues, they all drop right into a Dillon case gauge. The die is my first die I ever bought, it has so many rounds through it I could not even imagine the count. It seems like the spring loaded pin is weak? Is that possible? Any way to adjust the just the decaping pin? As far as I know the die was all I can adjust? The brass is not crimped brass, mostly once or twice fired Starline that I bought new.

Sarge I swaped the pin and the primers are CCI. I just don't hear the snap like I use to when the pin drops the primer. I couldbe pulling them back in, but I am not sure becuase they are bowed out and completly seated still? They barely come out of the shell plate. Problem is most of the time normal hours I can't call into Dillon. I may have to make a little time to make a call see what they say.

MAybe I will turn the die down a little more see what happens?

Unless 9mm is the only dillon size/decap die you have, take another dillon and swap out the spring.

The die should be within a hair (if it's not just barely touching the shellplate) on the downstroke stop.

The primer is probably sticking to the depriming pin - Dillon decapping pins are notorious for this. The first thing I do on all of my decapping pins is file them. Dillon recommends that you take the edges off the pin by tapering it with emory cloth. What happens is the primer actually sticks to it. The pin will push it out but pull it back up into the primer pocket. If you taper it down i'll bet the problem goes away.

The die should be within a hair (if it's not just barely touching the shellplate) on the downstroke stop.

+1 Mine just kisses the plate.

Is the E clip still in place on top of the die?

I file my pin down a little as well. I bevel the tip on mine.

+1 Mine just kisses the plate.

Is the E clip still in place on top of the die?

I file my pin down a little as well. I bevel the tip on mine.

Yep, make it touch the plate and leave it. No need to back it off. Bevel the tip and you'll be good to go. If the e-clip is busted then you'll know it for sure, then just go to home depot and buy a half dozen 1/4 inch e-clips for future use.

Edited by gohuskers

Thanks for the ideas. I did read the chamfer the pin thing and was affarid to try it I will try it nad see. I have a few other sets of DIllon dies, never thought to swap the pin from one to the other I am going to try it and see. The E clip is in place. I will post back in the next day or so when I give it a try.

Thanks again guys! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

The primer is probably sticking to the depriming pin - Dillon decapping pins are notorious for this. The first thing I do on all of my decapping pins is file them. Dillon recommends that you take the edges off the pin by tapering it with emory cloth. What happens is the primer actually sticks to it. The pin will push it out but pull it back up into the primer pocket. If you taper it down i'll bet the problem goes away.

Glad to know others have had this problem. I started loading 9mm on my 550B about 16 months ago (Dillon dies), and every so often I'd get a case that wouldn't fully deprime, and I'd have to slow down to clear it. It really slows me down some days. I've never had this problem with any other caliber and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening. I'll have to try the tapering fix. Hope it works.

I recently had the same issue. I found it was FC cases with silver colored primers ( they weren't my cases so I don't know what primers they actually were ). They would not decap on the first stroke, some took 2 and 3 strokes. All my Win cases deprime just fine on one stroke.

Anyway, glad I saw this thread, going to have to file down the pin like others suggested. i had not heard that tip before.

Glad to know others have had this problem. I started loading 9mm on my 550B about 16 months ago (Dillon dies), and every so often I'd get a case that wouldn't fully deprime, and I'd have to slow down to clear it. It really slows me down some days. I've never had this problem with any other caliber and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was happening. I'll have to try the tapering fix. Hope it works.

Okay, now I'm stumped. I checked my decapping pin and it's already tapered - actually it looks slightly rounded, as if maybe Dillon is smoothing these before shipping. Even the spare looks rounded slightly. I did switch to the spare pin, as it measured .001" longer than the original. Don't know if it will solve the problem, but it couldn't hurt. If this doesn't fix it, I may look for a small spacer to mount in between the base of the pin and the decapping shaft.

I recently had the same issue. I found it was FC cases with silver colored primers ( they weren't my cases so I don't know what primers they actually were ). They would not decap on the first stroke, some took 2 and 3 strokes. All my Win cases deprime just fine on one stroke.

Anyway, glad I saw this thread, going to have to file down the pin like others suggested. i had not heard that tip before.

Now that you mention it, I think most of the cases I've had this happen to are FC. Hmmmmm.....

Edited by Jeff Matzka

I sanded the pin (2 actualy) 0ne squared off one rounded and still had problems. I lowered the die till it was touching the shell plate same thing. Finally I swaped the assembly from my .38/.357 dies. Now it seems fine. I decided to try aand run some .38's to see if the problem moved and well it seems fine on that tool head? I am calling it fixed till it stops working because I am happy enough and never home to call dillon when I am infront of the press. If it happens again or if I get a day off during the week I will call dillon and see what they say.

Thanks guys!