Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are these shotguns allowed in Multigun

Ok Guys,

I will start with the fact that I am a minimal 3-gun/multi gun shooter mainly because of lack of regularly scheduled matches within 3 hour drive. I am an active Cowboy Action shooter though and do middlin to well in that venue. What I am looking at is rather than spending a lot putting together a Sport specific shotgun, would I be at much of a disadvantage running my CAS shotgun. One is a side by side that is well broken in and smooth to run and the other is an 1887 Winchester that has been there and back a few times. Now, I know that I won't be in the top 10 of any match, but is there any ruleing banning these from a match?

Thanks,

Edited by Modoc

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but these are both legal (so long as the 1887 doesn't have a magazine extension roflol.gif)

honestly, you would be at a serious disadvantage with the side by side....idk how fast you can shoot the 1887 but odds are it'd be better just to purchase a pump shotgun (say a nova or winchester 1300) and use that...they only go for a couple hundred. Again this is all personal opinion, your mileage may vary

Edited by GorillaTactical

Go and play with what you have, you WILL have fun. If you enjoy it enough to put some cash towards better equipment, then you could pick up an inexpensive modern pump gun. You might even find one of the other shooters insist you use their shotgun on a stage or two. :cheers:

Thanks, guys

I do know about the correct guns for the game. My Cowboy set includes an 1873 with a perfomance and reliability package and both shotguns have been gone through and run very well. Part of the reason I am thinking about using one of these is that I use them several times a month and my 3-1/2" Browning only gets used during Duck season (not even taken out this year <_< ).

As for the '87 being able to run more modern ammo, it is a repro and has been eating a steady diet of Win AA, Remmington

Sport and Estate heavy target loads with no problems. We all have the same isiues of finding affordable ammo :devil:

128011489_7716ac5cd7.jpg

As for speed, I can hold my own against shooters using Win. 1897 pumps at the Cowboy matches.

It's not really the shooting that is at issue, it is getting more rounds into the shotgun. The good guys load 4 rounds in about 3 seconds and us pokey guys in about 6. Every time there is a shotgun stage for you to load, you will lose a lot of time, again, no big deal as you start out, but if you really enjoy 3 gun, and get hooked, you will want to go faster.

A few months back I watched load an old shotgun from the top as he racked the slide. He was faster than many people with pumps just because he had so much experience with what he was shooting.

Use what you have for now. Practice and decide what you want and need in the future.

Above all enjoy what you are doing.

MODOC

I have some good friends of mine that shoot cowboy action, and they are very good. We will race sometimes on the range starting with empty shotguns to see who can get 8 rounds off faster. I will win most of the time at around 7 to 7 and a half seconds, but my friend is doing it in right around 8 to 8 and a quarter seconds. So by that standard you would be alright, but the bigger problem you are going to run into is carying enough shotgun shells for a 15 to 20 round shotgun stage. Also I don't think the lever gun will hold up very long in major matches. If your cowboy guns are anything like my friends you won't want to tear them up in a major match.

I would however shoot a local match in a hart beat with the shotguns you are running. I can't speak for all local matches, but most local matches in my neck of the woods usually shoot about 50 round or less for the whole day. I would just hate to see you spend a lot of money to get into a big match, and break your shotguns because part sometimes are really hard to find for cowboy guns.

As for building a shotgun just for the sport you can just a easily pick up a used shotgun ( I like Benelli M2 fields) put a 8 to 9 round tube extension on it, and when you are not three gunning you can still us the shotgun for bird hunting or something. I like to bring my shotgun out when my daughters boy friend comes over.

I hope this helps.

but the bigger problem you are going to run into is carying enough shotgun shells for a 15 to 20 round shotgun stage. Also I don't think the lever gun will hold up very long in major matches. If your cowboy guns are anything like my friends you won't want to tear them up in a major match.

FB3GDQ

Thanks for the concern about the longevity of the tools. I am not worried about breaking the shotgun at a match, because it would be no different than going to any one of the Annual Cowboy Action matches that we do in a year. If it breaks, it breaks and my gunsmith gets another donation. :devil:

Both of my shot shell belts for CAS are 24 or 25 rounders and I also have a couple of belt slides that hold 6 shots each, so a high round count stage is not that much of an issue, especially if I stoke the '87 at the loading table and come to the line with a full belt too. I have shot CAS stages with knock downs that took a box plus of shells to complete :blink: , it did help that I knew the RO/Timer Operator and swiped a couple of shells from his belt when I ran out :goof: (not a valid move). I am thinking about an extension tube and clamp for my hunting gun, it is just a mater of multiple priorities for the cash and the fact that I can do the manual of arms for the CAS guns in my sleep and still need to think about what I am doing with the Browning Gold.

It's all good. Besides, if I make a mistake on which shells I grab before the match, the RO may get a REAL surprise when the go BOOM instead of Bang :devil: Black Powder CAS loads are a real blast when others do not expect it :sight::cheers:

Edit for spelling

Edited by Modoc

For those curious about the 1887, here is a You Tube video put together by another CAS shooter

He is a bit faster than I am, but the technique is still the same and our grear (shot shell belts) are similar.